There are many reasons why I switched from Microsoft Windows to GNU/Linux.
It did not happen suddenly, it was due to many Microsoft decisions in the past years - decisions that first I did not fancy, then I really disliked, at the end I hated and now I can't stand
I have been long time Microsoft user, customer and a lot more and at the end I felt betrayed. I felt I was used! Really.
Trust and Respect are important for me.
Windows 10 - they day it was first released to public for test, that was really the end of the MS story for me.
First, it was Windows 8, SecureBoot, Office 2013 - ugly interface, not made for computers, they forced me use it like tablet.
While with Windows XP, Vista and Win 7 there was at least some sort of customization. Windows 8 and up-words, there is no such thing.
Security, cyber security is important for me. Closed source, proprietary software can't be secure, especially from a company that is well-known for not being secure and that cooperates with authorities and intelligence agencies...
Windows/Microsoft is extremely expensive. I can afford it, but I am tired of always having to pay them for pretty much nothing. I am tired of the commercial industry.
Since 2004 I have paid so much money to MS for various software [many many licenses for Windows XP, Vista, 7, Office 2007, Office 2013, etc] of theirs and I persuaded so much people to also buy their software - I am ashamed of this.
What happens when you pay them - nothing positive for you, just loosing $.
Last time I got sick of their support who couldn't activate my Office 2013 Pro and who did not want to downgrade it to Office 2010 simply because I didn't like the 2013 interface. I paid for Office 2013 Pro because I couldn't find Office 2010 lic - they stopped selling it - their agent was explaining to me over the phone how beautiful 2013 is compared to 2010
and refused to downgrade it to 2010.
Most other things have already been mentioned, so I will simply repeat it:
- finally became very tired of constantly cleaning windows (pun intended!), and tired of the constant maintenance, and tired of the lack of security
- I learned about Microsoft's illegal and immoral business practices
- I don't have to pay a licence fee - I prefer to donate to real experts , donate reasonable amount of money, not huge licence fees
- Windows updates. In the past years ever since Windows 7 SP1, they got insane ! Now, clean install of Windows 7 SP1, you will have to install over 1.3 GB of updates - this will take hours if they manage to install properly, if you are lucky even of very high speed Net (optic). Why all this hassle ?
- "Activation hell" - I can get pirated copy of Windows XP, 7, Office and install it faster than activation . I buy legal original copy of Windows/Office and have activation issues, MS support is useless. [Note-I don't support piracy]
- MS is just a major money pit.
- Linux updates are painless, seamless, efficient and boring.
- GNU/Linux security is top notch when compared to other OS
- Windows is not secure OS by design. Read on the Net about Windows 2000 RTM version that contained xxxxx number of known issues/bugs upon release. What about XP - so many bugs since initial release that more than 15 years since initial release, they still fix security issues ?
- Antivirus industry just got mad in the past several years - This is all caused by Microsoft policies since Windows 8 release, rise of free bloated AVs, etc.
With Microsoft - they use you (especially home users and small businesses). Now with their Windows as a service, Office 365, Windows 365, etc.
I need to learn, to improve. GNU/Linux gives me security and gives me freedom. There is no freedom without security.