What was your Linux noob experience like?

Chat about Linux in general

How long did you use Linux?

I'm new to Linux
5%
1-12 months
24%
1-5 years
24%
+5 years
46%

Total votes: 74

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What was your Linux noob experience like?

Post by cinnamoncoffee » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:35 am

I was talking about my 63 years old dad's computer. He is not interested in learning anything new and even small changes or unexpected pop ups drive him crazy and he immediately calls me to solve the problem. I see no point in forcing him to try new IT things when all he wants is to pay bills or talk on skype.
As far as Im concerned, Mint is a good mixture of user friendliness, security, stability and "geekyness" to perfectly match my needs. Im interested in learning IT a little (thats why Im on this forum) but on the other side I have no interest in programming or using special programs. I need a system that can be used for web browsing, office work and watching movies. Mint can be used for these things and that's enough for me :) I customized this computer to look aesthetically nice and to be usable. It resembles windows XP. I know that linux allows various special effects and Ive tried them but I like clean and simple things more. So I dont use any crazy themes or effects because i dont like them, not because Im philosophically opposed to changing how the OS looks :)
What i like about Mint is the update manager. Its one of it's best features and a reason why I left ubuntu (and because of Unity, of course :mrgreen: )
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Im a 5plusser that tought i was settled with latest Opensuse...but when i got my hands on Win10 i went all in.
All was good up until i posted a screenshot of Win 10 on a Linux forum, after that it went apeshit crazy hehehe.

So..latest LinuxFormat had the cd containing Mint so i installed the Cinnamon one and am a happy camper now.

But as a noob i had a pretty high spec computer and had some buddies hat were sold on Linux.
I downloaded Kubunt and burned onto a cd...installed and rebooted and was so damn impressed cause of the boot time and sexyness...looked soo damn good.
But looking back now i can say that i still dont like KDE at all, tried the new one but i think everything is to shiny and complicated.

Oh i miss the Gnome 2 days

frodopogo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frodopogo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm

ganamant, cinnamoncoffee,

And if someone turns their family and/or friends on to a Linux Distro, guess who they will be coming too with questions!!!!
You become their "support person"... probably for FREE! And if you can avoid unpaid service calls just by having the Linux system set up to look and work as much like Windows as possible, that's a GOOD thing.

People come to Linux for different reasons. Some hate Windows simply because it's NOT Linux, and for them, I guess Linux looking like Windows is some sort of heresy! :shock: :wink:

Others hate Windows because Microsoft is a powerful corporation that is doing what is best for itself, not necessarly the users.
Others hate Windows because it's MALWARE BAIT.
Others hate Windows because they seem to have a tradition of a really bad esthetic sense that they want to impose on Windows users. I think it goes back to that flag-like Windows logo that's the three primary colors plus green.
I think that set them up for the garish color scheme for Windows 8 :lol: :roll:
I hate Windows for the last three reasons.

The thing is that Microsoft has deep pockets, and they've done a lot of testing. Sometimes they've learned useful stuff that way. I'm convinced they probably tested the (traditional) Windows user interface on people of a variety of ages, and discovered that aging eyes do better with certain things than others..... things like colorful icons and things that look three dimensional. If a Linux distro then tries to do something just for the sake of having a different look and feel from Windows... there is the danger they are shooting themselves in the foot.... they may be going for a look that Windows tried and DID NOT work for a significant number of users.

So being different from Windows just to be different from Windows to me is a dangerous thing. Most Linux distros don't have the ability to do nearly as much usability testing, and the testers are all volunteers, which means they are probably already Linux users, so they can't really be unbiased. Also, now that Microsoft is trying to make Windows WEIRD... making Windows look like XP actually makes it DIFFERENT from the present repulsive Windows thing that Microsoft is foisting on people. And the fact that there are still people using XP in spite of support being pulled has two basic reasons.
1. There was nothing wrong with the User Interface.... shocking as it seems, Microsoft does get some things right now and then! And XP wasn't even all that garish!!!
2. Millions of users have had their brains totally programmed over the course of XP's nearly 14 year lifespan to respond to the visual cues XP gave them. Not giving them the visual cues they need guarantees they won't be using THAT flavor of Linux.
I personally like the esthetics of Mint.... although I liked them better around the time of Isadora! I think Zorin goes too far in the Windows-lookalike thing. But I think every Linux distro that aims to be user friendly should have at least one theme easily available that looks XPish enough to satisfy someone like Cinnamoncoffee's father!
The irony is that people who want Linux to look different from XP basically have the same motivation Microsoft had in designing Windows 8 and Window 10-
"Let's be different just to be different!" In order for it to seem NEW, they wanted the new Windows to look different from XP and Windows 7, they totally ignored all their previous usability testing, and came up with something that was just "new"... but definitely NOT improved!

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:35 pm

ganamant wrote:
Heck, I remember the ad "I'm a PC" vs. "I'm a Mac", like a Mac wasn't a personal computer too!
"PC" or "Personal Computer" has always meant an IBM compatible machine, from back when IBM was a force on the desktop. Insisting otherwise is just being pedantic while revealing a lack of historical understanding.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:24 pm

InkKnife wrote:
ganamant wrote:
Heck, I remember the ad "I'm a PC" vs. "I'm a Mac", like a Mac wasn't a personal computer too!
"PC" or "Personal Computer" has always meant an IBM compatible machine, from back when IBM was a force on the desktop. Insisting otherwise is just being pedantic while revealing a lack of historical understanding.
I see your point, but isn't your appeal to history a bit on the pedantic side too? A Mac is a computer and it is personal, so I'll call it a PC (OK, in fact I don't say "PC" a lot, I usually say "computer", but you got the point). An event in history (or some guy at a corporation) creates a word, but then the word lives on and sometimes it's meaning shifts. Today, when you talk about calling a cab, you mean an automobile, even if back in history cabs used to be pulled by horses. My point is that on one hand you have the origin of a word and on the other hand you have today's meaning for that word: sometimes, they do diverge.

knallfr0sch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by knallfr0sch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:40 pm

I already own a rooted Android phone and a Rasp2 which runs Raspbian/openElec (whatever i feel like.)

I'm still new to Linux on desktop, and, to be honest, Linux feels like it's new, too – lol.

I do have a license for Win10 + full Office Suite, so i'm kind of downgrading to Linux, but hell, it does look interesing.

Return to “Chat about Linux”