pclinuxos vs mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mach50

pclinuxos vs mint

Post by mach50 »

I use on all my desktops and laptops cinnamon 64bit mint and mate , and on 1 desktop i use all the distros in one.
however , i have tested for the first time pclinuxos full monthy , i dont know what people drive them over there really.
its just a kde with 6 desktops and alot of software on it haha...

i have tested this pclinuxos and , i have deleted with in mind that linuxmint can do this better and faster.

i have download the new version kde 17.1 mint and install it on a 8core and its so fast my god , and i have do the same what pclinuxos do , 6 desktops in one , and have install all the best stuff like pclinuxos but on mint kde 17.1 , desktop 1 (internet) desktop 2 (grafic) and ect.

the only thing that is alot better is that mint loads faster and it stable .

if you ask me mint kde 17.1 is the best distro for me ... :twisted:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: pclinuxos vs mint

Post by BigEasy »

mach50 wrote:I use on all my desktops and laptops cinnamon 64bit mint and mate , and on 1 desktop i use all the distros in one.
however , i have tested for the first time pclinuxos full monthy , i dont know what people drive them over there really.
its just a kde with 6 desktops and alot of software on it haha...
IMHO, the title of discussion shoud be not "pclinuxos vs mint", but "full monty vs mate". Try pclinuxos with mate, then compare to mint mate.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
richiereyn

Post by richiereyn »

Comparing Mint Mate and Cinnamon to PCLinuxOS Full Monty is a little unfair. I have been using PCLinuxOS for many years when they were only a KDE distro. Now I use PCLinuxOS Mate on my laptop and it's very nice. The problem with Full Monty is it installs everything, I didn't like it at all, just wastes space and system resources. If you want to try KDE install the standard KDE iso, but for a more meaningful comparison install the Mate version.

I use Mint Mate on my desktop computer, mainly because I use it for video editing and my capture cards are Blackmagic Design Decklink cards and they recommend Ubuntu based distro's, and indeed those cards and the software work better and are more stable than trying to use PCLinuxOS.

Both distro's have strengths and weaknesses. Both work out of the box, video and audio apps all work and there is full multimedia support in both. I love the sheer amount of software available to the Ubuntu derivatives, but for most general computer users what PCLinuxOS offers in it's repositories is perfectly adequate. One thing I don't like about Ubuntu and it's derivatives is the overuse of sudo as a way of gaining root privileges, it's one less layer of security in my opinion. I would much rather have a totally seperate root password for admin purposes, and PCLinuxOS sets that properly.

So my point is, all distros have strengths and weaknesses, so go with what suits you. PCLinuxOS is a good and healthy distro, just like Mint, and has a nice community around it too :)
DiegoAzeta

Post by DiegoAzeta »

I just installed PCLinuxOS Mate on an old netbook that wouldn't run properly any recent Ubuntu derivative, including Mint, for some unfathomable reason. Wow, PCLOS not only runs perfectly on that little thing but is faster than Mint Xfce, Xubuntu, Peppermint, MX Linux and Linux Lite. And PCLOS is just as user-friendly as Mint. I'm keeping Mint on my main laptop but it looks like my other two netbooks are going with PCLOS, at least in a dual-boot PCLOS/Mint setup.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

PCLinuxOS is father of user firiendly desktop distros. Long time I use PCLinuxOS Mate. Fast, reliable... What anyone need else?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Definitely going to test this on my netbook.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is PCOS similar to TrueOS?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

no pclinuxos is similar to mageia/opensuse it uses .rpm packages and even if you know nothing about .rpm packages pclinuxos uses an old version of synaptic and you can install things in terminal with apt-get

Return to “Chat about Linux”