Mint vs Ubuntu with Cinnamon

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marmistrz

Mint vs Ubuntu with Cinnamon

Post by marmistrz »

I know that one can install Cinnamon on an existing Ubuntu system. So is there any reason why to choose Mint Cinnamon flavor instead of adding Cinnamon to Ubuntu (or vice-versa)?

I know about the different update concept. Of course there's less to set up on Mint, since Cinnamon in pre-installed. Anything else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fraxinus_63

Re: Mint vs Ubuntu with Cinnamon

Post by fraxinus_63 »

There was a similar thread a few weeks back about why one might prefer the Ubuntu MATE edition to Mint's.

This is a different situation of course in that you'd have to add CInnamon to your Ubuntu - but even if there was an Ubuntu Cinnamon edition I wouldn't see it swaying me from the Mint one. I guess I am too comfortable with Mint's graphic tools, with its update policy and with the Mint community.

However, perhaps there is someone out there who can offer a reason why "stock Ubuntu + Cinnamon" would be worth considering!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

It would be like adding Unity to Mint, what would be the point? Adding Cinnamon to Ubuntu would leave you with some conflicting functionality, files and nemo, compiz and muffin. There used to be a Ubuntu Cinnamon remix, it was pretty much just Cinnamon with the Ubuntu theme and icons.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

It is just like Kubuntu, and Xubuntu, vs LM w/ xfce, or LM w/ kde, try running each and see the difference. You will notice in Ubuntu a lack of tools, and codecs etc not present in Ubuntu, and functionality is different. It's the same for me, as I am running LMDE 2 w/ Cinnamon DE, I could, (and have) run pure Debian with the Cinnamon DE. But, it is not the same. Many tools are not there, specific to Mint, I needed certain firmware to run my wifi, etc. Mint makes an OS that takes off as soon as it's done installing, comes with many useful tools. And gives you a desktop OS that's easy to work with. IMO, Mint runs circles around the competition.
marmistrz

Post by marmistrz »

Which tools and functionality you mean are missing from Ubuntu? I haven't been using Ubuntu since it employed Unity.

What is change in Mint as for the wifi drivers you mentioned?

Well, the reason is of quite anothere nature. My relative is going to have her computer configured by me. But I need to choose the distro and DE. It's going to be an ultrabook so I consider: Unity, Gnome, Cinnamon or KDE. Distro - Ubuntu or Mint (or their derivatives), since I'm most experienced with dpkg and family, not really into the rpm family

And I've just thought: maybe a question "Kubuntu vs Linux Mint KDE" would be more appropriate.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Tools like,Software Manager, Update Manager, Nemo, USB Image Writer & Formatter, Software Sources, etc. As, for WIFI. that was more of a Debian issue, that a Ubuntu issue.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Add Cinnamon to Ubuntu if you're on the Ubuntu development release cycle (non-LTS release schedule).
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Crewp wrote:Tools like,Software Manager, Update Manager, Nemo, USB Image Writer & Formatter, Software Sources, etc. As, for WIFI. that was more of a Debian issue, that a Ubuntu issue.
These tools are very useful for the novice user. I barely use them since I do all maintenance from the command line now. Nevertheless, I stick to Mint mostly

For Kubuntu at least, there is a big difference with Mint KDE. Currently 15.04 is previewing KDE 5, which Mint is unlikely to touch until 2016.

That being said my desktop runs kubuntu 14.04, and my laptop mint 17.x. Once you get past the surface, they are extremely similar when configured similarly.

Return to “Chat about Linux”