Ubuntu pandering for cash

Chat about Linux in general
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ubuntu pandering for cash

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:19 am

coder123 wrote:@CtrlAltDel

aside from what others have said, how are the servers hosting Linux .isos suppose to stay up?

P.S. nice name. :)
From donations? Donations are great. What I have an issue with is a Linux distro, and Ubuntu is Linux although they refuse to identify themselves with that label, installing adware into Linux and then doubling down and prominently begging for cash when attempting to download their installation image.

Just charge for it already and quit with the charade.

At least, that way, it seems somehow more honest. That is my opinion and I don't believe I can be persuaded to change it. If I had been using Ubuntu when they started rigging their programs to spam users and collect advertising info to sell about users, I would have been one of the many thousands and thousands to have dropped them.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 pm

To each his own I guess. I never experienced adware behavior from ubuntu about donations. If fact that screenshot you started the thread with is the only time I seen them ask for it. But if what you say is true I can tell you that if they did straight up charge for it their popularity and position on distrowatch would sink really fast. Plus IMO ubuntu isn't written that well because it's such a resource hog (just because ubuntu less of a resource hog than windows doesn't say much) Yes Lubuntu fixes the resource hog issue but Lubuntu needs a lot of help with its driver support. (more so than regular ubuntu)

My point being they would have a lot of nerve to charge for ubuntu because its either a resource hog for a Linux distro or needs a lot of help with driver support for their LXDE distro. Even if those factors didn't exist they'd still sink for charging.
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

Morgan Krieg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Morgan Krieg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:50 am

I don't see anything wrong about asking for donations for further development. Though I find the way it's written rather annoying.

Adware and trading user's data is pretty bad, though.
Ark987 wrote:Personally I would pay just for a commercial desktop environment in Linux, a DE made for "consumers" oriented on usability. Not a revolutionary Gnome, unstable KDE, outdated XFCE, indomitable Unity, crippled LXDE, newborn Cinnamon, persistent Mate, sorry I still cannot find my place among many DEs :? Maybe a currency could incentive the motivation of developers :) .
I probably would too if I could buy it for a localized price and if it would be a solid, polished and reliable environment.

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Never been an epic fan of Ubuntu and they've had an in your face approach to soliciting financial contributions for as long as I've ever seen. Used to find it a tad aggravating but as mentioned they do easily allow an opt-out. Canonical is a corporation and agree that financial support + contribs play a part. Obviously they do have expenses and for profit ambitions.

Though it's not prohibited by the opensource licensing terms and there are worse fields Corps could aspire to. Mint HQ does have expenses no doubt that need to be met too. They're imo just much more understanding, way less in users faces about the subject. Just my take on it but is (just) one of the reasons immediately liked LM over buntu. Am sure there are tonnes of good people assoc w Ubuntu, volunteers or payroll, shrugs.

Both approaches are understandable I guess. If a distro doesn't prove itself to x-enduser or in Mints case they no doubt understand when users really don't have the wherewithall it's not a set in stone obligation.

</end-mint-butt-kissing>

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:50 pm

craig10x wrote:Seems like (based on his latest comments) the op of this thread has a very bad case of ubuntu-itis, a disease which causes irrational hate of the ubuntu linux distribution :wink: :mrgreen:
No, I liked Ubuntu back before Unity. And I don't hate Ubuntu or Linux or Linux Mint. In fact, I've likely been using Linux Mint longer than you have been alive.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:43 am

Maintaining a distro is expensive, this list helps people understand that.
Donate to your favourite distros!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:30 am

Chiefahol wrote:Maintaining a distro is expensive, this list helps people understand that.
+1
At least (IMHO) it's not as confusing as the one for elementary OS. Unless you choose "Custom" and enter the number 0, you don't have the option to download without paying. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Tatwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tatwi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:07 pm

The above is what one sees when one chooses not to donate.

That's what ended my relationship with Ubuntu when I noticed it a couple years ago (Unity and Shuttleworth I can live without as well). I am sorry, but as a GNU/Linux user and supporter since 1998 I can't accept that sort of attitude. No one should EVER be made to feel bad for not donating their money to an open source project.

People do the open source thing because they enjoy it, not as part of some wealth creation system. Anyone who feels otherwise does not understand the open source concept and needs to find something else to do with their time.
The Power of Text - http://www.tpot.ca
Creator of Rescue Girlies, a Mario-like game for GNU/Linux based upon SuperTux 0.3.3.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:29 pm

Ubuntu is still free and always will be, they said that from the beginning. Of course they would like a donation but they do not make you feel bad if you just don't have it to give. The project is really big and I am sure they have quite a bit of expenses to cover.

Now I can't say I like the way Elive forces you to make a donation to be able to install it. They expect users to help out by testing it and then charge you to be able to install it. Mint sets a good example, donations are completely voluntary. Clem and the developers build a quality distro and the bulk of the donations come from satisfied users. People that can afford to donate are very happy to help out and everybody wins. :)

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:31 pm

Tatwi wrote:I am sorry, but as a GNU/Linux user and supporter since 1998...
So which GNU-Linux distro are you currently using?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:05 pm

I think Mint should also have a polite message requesting a donation when you download a copy.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote: Old Ubuntu Manifesto:
The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customize and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.
That is nowhere to be found now, though. The new manifesto is, charge, charge, charge for anything that we can get away with and make the advertising as annoying as possible.
Do you even read the bullshit you are writing? When you carefully look at the first image you placed in this thread you would see there is a way of downloading the OS for free (as in free beer, as in gratis, as in for nothing). Ubuntu is just trying to raise funds to further develop their OS. You can choose to donate money or to just download and use it. In other words: it is still free. (as in free beer, as in gratis, as in for nothing)
You are being given a choice, as with everything in Linux. Maybe you don't like the way they do it, that's totally up to you, but you still have a way to download the OS for free and that's what Canonical wrote in their manifesto. In other words: they do what they wrote.

Tatwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tatwi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:01 pm

MartyMint wrote:
Tatwi wrote:I am sorry, but as a GNU/Linux user and supporter since 1998...
So which GNU-Linux distro are you currently using?
Part of the fun for me is playing with the distros themselves, so it really depends on what I am up to. At the moment, I haven't really been doing much of anything on the computer, so any OS will do, but Debian Wheezy with Xfce is my go-to dev env (both in VMs and on the hardware).

- My kids have been running Mint 17.1 on my old desktop since it 17RC. They love it and I don't see the need to change it.

- My desktop has had Debian 7, Debian 8, PCLinuxOS 2014.12, Mint 17, and Slackware 14 on it in the last year or two. Currently using Mint 17.2/Xfce, but as usual it is slower than using Debian or PCLinuxOS (and Pulse Audio can DIAFTYVM), so I'll get around to formatting it again at some point. I truly like the spirit of Mint and I enjoy the Mint themes for Xfce, but I personally don't enjoy using it as much as I do other distros. It's been a while since I have used FreeBSD, so I think I'll give that and OpenSUSE a whirl next...

- My old lappy (Dell Inspiron 1501) is running Debian 8/Xfce and will stay that way until I replace it. Most modern distros choke on this hardware. Prior to Debian 8, Lubuntu 11.04 ran the best on it.

- My SWGEmu personal server runs on a frankenputer made out of my wife's old Inspiron 1501 that our kids spilled milk into. Blew the LCD out of it, but I managed to salvage the motherboard and hard drive for some nerd fu! :)
The Power of Text - http://www.tpot.ca
Creator of Rescue Girlies, a Mario-like game for GNU/Linux based upon SuperTux 0.3.3.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:05 pm

OMG so give them a couple of bucks i have because i have used different linux distros and yeah i have donated it is well worth a few bucks here and there.
if you want to look at it from a money point of view for the small amount of money i have donated i have downloaded and used 3 distros and that is a hell of a good deal compared to what i have spent buying microsoft windows software. i still run windows because i use flight simulator x but my main vehicle i use everyday for the last year now has been linux and it works for me and i enjoy it. and yes i will install microsoft windows 10 because they are giving it away.

just my opinion.
life is good.
the poorguy

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:41 am

@CtrlAltDel:

A phrase from your second item in this thread:

Code: Select all

Am I "willing" to pay the bills of another man or woman? No way. I don't pay for Windows and I don't pay for Linux.
You write you don't pay for Windows. No matter how you look at it, this just makes you a thief. You are just stealing. There is this company, in this case Microsoft, who builds an OS, Windows, and who wants to sell it to make profit and to pay the salaries of the employees. When you use Windows without paying for it you are simply stealing. I would not, if I were you, just write that openly on the internet and also be proud about it. Big brother is watching.

I have used Ubuntu as primary OS till Unity, then I skipped to Mint with Gnome 2 and when that was stopped I jumped over to KDE and I still use that. I sometimes download a Kubuntu and try it in a virtual machine to see what will be the future. That's all I do with Ubuntu nowadays. Since I only use it for testing purposes I don't feel the need to donate. I did donate to Mint and will do that again since this is my OS. I use it on 3 different computers and so yes, I will donate.

You can still download Ubuntu for free, although you have to take care about where to click. Read the info on your screen and then make a decision whether or not you donate before downloading. I really don't see what the hassle is all about. It was for free, it is for free and it will be for free. Just watch where you click.

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:00 am

DeMus wrote:@CtrlAltDel:

A phrase from your second item in this thread:

Code: Select all

Am I "willing" to pay the bills of another man or woman? No way. I don't pay for Windows and I don't pay for Linux.
You write you don't pay for Windows. No matter how you look at it, this just makes you a thief. You are just stealing. There is this company, in this case Microsoft, who builds an OS, Windows, and who wants to sell it to make profit and to pay the salaries of the employees. When you use Windows without paying for it you are simply stealing. I would not, if I were you, just write that openly on the internet and also be proud about it. Big brother is watching.

I have used Ubuntu as primary OS till Unity, then I skipped to Mint with Gnome 2 and when that was stopped I jumped over to KDE and I still use that. I sometimes download a Kubuntu and try it in a virtual machine to see what will be the future. That's all I do with Ubuntu nowadays. Since I only use it for testing purposes I don't feel the need to donate. I did donate to Mint and will do that again since this is my OS. I use it on 3 different computers and so yes, I will donate.

You can still download Ubuntu for free, although you have to take care about where to click. Read the info on your screen and then make a decision whether or not you donate before downloading. I really don't see what the hassle is all about. It was for free, it is for free and it will be for free. Just watch where you click.
This has gone a bit far, hasn't it? You are calling me a thief? Really? I have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop that shipped with Ubuntu. I really don't know why I am taking the time to explain this to you; I suppose it's because you have called me a thief and wish to make everyone here believe that I am a criminal.

I have a home business and have a long purchase history with Dell. I had to speak with a "manager" and explain that no version of Windows would suffice. After a bit of hassle, he agreed with my suggestion to load Ubuntu 14.04 that is currently the operating system offered on the XPS Developer Editon laptop onto my XPS 8700 desktop.

So, if anything, I've already paid for Ubuntu, even though I immediately wiped it out and installed Mint. Why are you calling me a thief? I suppose it is because you feel I have insulted Ubuntu? Grow up.

For all you knew, I could have built my own computer and installed Mint as the first and only operating system. You seem to imagine that any computer in existence had to start out with Windows installed.

I've reported your post and hope that you will be advised on the proper way to communicate with others on this board.

EDIT BY MODERATOR:
don't get personal, don't intimidate, don't imply what others have done
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 am

When I read, in one sentence:
I don't pay for Windows and I don't pay for Linux
and you are using Linux since this is what this whole item is about, then how should I know you didn't buy Windows.
When you, like myself, have bought a computer without Windows (and yes I know it is possible - I ordered parts and built the computer myself) then I am sorry I called you a thief.
Reason: you don't have Windows. You are not using it without having paid for it.
I do apologize.

I just wish you would have written it a bit differently.

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:30 pm

DeMus wrote:When I read, in one sentence:
I don't pay for Windows and I don't pay for Linux
and you are using Linux since this is what this whole item is about, then how should I know you didn't buy Windows.
When you, like myself, have bought a computer without Windows (and yes I know it is possible - I ordered parts and built the computer myself) then I am sorry I called you a thief.
Reason: you don't have Windows. You are not using it without having paid for it.
I do apologize.

I just wish you would have written it a bit differently.
How you feel I should write something in order to not be verbally attacked by you is of little concern to me. I will not be intimidated on this board or forced, by you or anyone else, to state things in a way that you consider appropriate or face your wrath.

I've read the rules for participation here an they don't include a provision to approve your posts with Demus or be called a thief. Your apology is provided only with consideration that I change the way that I post and I don't consider that genuine.

I would appreciate it if you would no longer contact me in any way on this board, including responding to posts that I create.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Neophyte
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Neophyte » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:25 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote:This:
Selection_001.png
is what you get now when attempting to download an Ubuntu .iso.

Somehow, this just seems to violate what Linux is supposed to be about. I sure hope Linux Mint never resorts to this, or has to resort to this. Somehow, I feel that Ubuntu doesn't have to do what they are now doing, but are choosing to do so.
How is this counter to "what Linux is supposed to be about" at all? They aren't charging you for downloading it nor are they closing the source code.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Neophyte wrote: How is this counter to "what Linux is supposed to be about" at all? They aren't charging you for downloading it nor are they closing the source code.
In fact, just look at RHEL. There's nothing wrong with charging for Linux as long as you make the source code available. (That's the 5-second version, anyway). We're lucky Ubuntu gives the .iso's away instead of forcing us to compile all the source code ourselves. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux”