Ubuntu pandering for cash

Chat about Linux in general
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ubuntu pandering for cash

Post by CtrlAltDel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
Neophyte wrote: How is this counter to "what Linux is supposed to be about" at all? They aren't charging you for downloading it nor are they closing the source code.
In fact, just look at RHEL. There's nothing wrong with charging for Linux as long as you make the source code available. (That's the 5-second version, anyway). We're lucky Ubuntu gives the .iso's away instead of forcing us to compile all the source code ourselves. :)
Okay, okay, I see what is happening here. A poster calls me a thief and everyone suddenly starts posting again, as if somehow my thoughts about Ubuntu have now been invalidated and you smell blood.

If any of you purposely wish to use spyware, have a good time with it. Why not just use Windows? Windows is compatible with a lot more varied programs, games, applications, etc... and is more widely used and supported, so, just use it. Windows spies and snoops on you just like Ubuntu does, so, why not? Oh yeah, because one form of spyware, Ubuntu, is free. I get it. Why pay for spyware when you can download it for free? Although you are nagged and begged for money, it's still free.

Some of you need to get away from feeling as if you have to be the guardian angels/watchdogs for Ubuntu and attack anyone who dare besmirch it's name in your presence. Linux Mint, though based on Ubuntu, is not Ubuntu. You aren't required, in order to use Mint, to slather Ubuntu with inordinate amounts of praise whenever you feel it has been "insulted."

When and if Mint starts treating it's users like ATM machines at the feet of Amazon and who knows who else, I'll move on from it too. And guess what else? I'll "insult" Mint too, no matter how many hearts it breaks.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html This person, even though he isn't really important like the creator of Ubuntu, thinks I am right and all of you are wrong.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Neophyte
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Neophyte » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:29 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:
Neophyte wrote: How is this counter to "what Linux is supposed to be about" at all? They aren't charging you for downloading it nor are they closing the source code.
In fact, just look at RHEL. There's nothing wrong with charging for Linux as long as you make the source code available. (That's the 5-second version, anyway). We're lucky Ubuntu gives the .iso's away instead of forcing us to compile all the source code ourselves. :)
Okay, okay, I see what is happening here. A poster calls me a thief and everyone suddenly starts posting again, as if somehow my thoughts about Ubuntu have now been invalidated and you smell blood.

If any of you purposely wish to use spyware, have a good time with it. Why not just use Windows? Windows is compatible with a lot more varied programs, games, applications, etc... and is more widely used and supported, so, just use it. Windows spies and snoops on you just like Ubuntu does, so, why not? Oh yeah, because one form of spyware, Ubuntu, is free. I get it. Why pay for spyware when you can download it for free? Although you are nagged and begged for money, it's still free.

Some of you need to get away from feeling as if you have to be the guardian angels/watchdogs for Ubuntu and attack anyone who dare besmirch it's name in your presence. Linux Mint, though based on Ubuntu, is not Ubuntu. You aren't required, in order to use Mint, to slather Ubuntu with inordinate amounts of praise whenever you feel it has been "insulted."

When and if Mint starts treating it's users like ATM machines at the feet of Amazon and who knows who else, I'll move on from it too. And guess what else? I'll "insult" Mint too, no matter how many hearts it breaks.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html This person, even though he isn't really important like the creator of Ubuntu, thinks I am right and all of you are wrong.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:39 pm

i know some people are talking about the donation of $2.00 that one has an option to give at the time of a ubuntu iso download.
$2.00 is a fair price to pay or donate for what you are getting in return. developers cost money and also how many people give their time to help support and keep linux distros up to date and secure.

i to have been around people who have complained about a donation of $2.00 for a ubuntu download and it is an option if you choose. these same people will however go into a place like starbucks and pay $2.00 or more for a cup of coffee or spend that on soft drinks and not complain at all.

i have been a linux user since dec 2014 and have donated several times for the downloads that i have received and never thought that it was out of line. again my option if i want.
i also know what i have spent in the past on windows software which was also my choice to use.

i enjoy using linux and if all they ask is for a $2.00 donation then i will be happy to give it to them for an excellent OS.

life is good.
the poorguy

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:09 am

MintBean wrote:I think Mint should also have a polite message requesting a donation when you download a copy.
Or maybe a message that could trick newbies, and those leaving Windows and not familiar with open source, into thinking they are required to pay even when they aren't. Nowhere does it state that trickery and underhanded tactics can't be used with open source software.

A few distros already make a .iso as purposely confusing to download as possible in the hopes that they can get more cash. You would almost think they created the Linux kernel or something.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:20 am

poorguy wrote:i know some people are talking about the donation of $2.00 that one has an option to give at the time of a ubuntu iso download.
$2.00 is a fair price to pay or donate for what you are getting in return. developers cost money and also how many people give their time to help support and keep linux distros up to date and secure.

i to have been around people who have complained about a donation of $2.00 for a ubuntu download and it is an option if you choose. these same people will however go into a place like starbucks and pay $2.00 or more for a cup of coffee or spend that on soft drinks and not complain at all.

i have been a linux user since dec 2014 and have donated several times for the downloads that i have received and never thought that it was out of line. again my option if i want.
i also know what i have spent in the past on windows software which was also my choice to use.

i enjoy using linux and if all they ask is for a $2.00 donation then i will be happy to give it to them for an excellent OS.

life is good.
the poorguy
Donations are the lifeblood of distros. As far as I can determine, no one here has advocated not donating. If so, could you link me to that person's post? Thanks.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:24 am

Geez, this is all getting a little over dramatic isn't it? In the end, devs are just as free to present their software the way they want as users are to choose weather or not to use it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

poorguy

Post by poorguy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 am

JosephM wrote:Geez, this is all getting a little over dramatic isn't it? In the end, devs are just as free to present their software the way they want as users are to choose weather or not to use it.
i 100% agree.

enjoy whatever distro / operating system you use.

the poorguy

Return to “Chat about Linux”