What do I need to know?

Chat about Linux in general
Post Reply
Octavian
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am

What do I need to know?

Post by Octavian » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:01 pm

I am studying Terminal commands, the Linux file system and doing Python tutorials right now. I want to build a Linux from scratch system (LFS.) Is there anything else I should include in my studies?

The reason why I ask is because I want to know how to trouble shoot even before I face problems. If you built a LFS system would you mind telling your story of why you did it and the hardships you faced? I would really appreciate it. Don't worry, my biggest curiosity how long it took you and if you ever faced moments of giving up. I need something to help me keep going because I know I will face moments of giving up. Thanks :D
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not about Linux Mint; moved to chat about linux
Real men wear pink but a true man will be who he is even when the world thinks differently.
Due to my Job I am only able to get on Thursday through Saturday. On occasion I will be on other days.

shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:25 am
Contact:

Re: What do I need to know?

Post by shengchieh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 pm

You're welcomed to surf thru the long list of links in my website (signature) -> Console Commands .
Also take a look at LFS (linux for scratch distro.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Sheng-Chieh

Octavian
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am

Re: What do I need to know?

Post by Octavian » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks I book marked it :wink:
Real men wear pink but a true man will be who he is even when the world thinks differently.
Due to my Job I am only able to get on Thursday through Saturday. On occasion I will be on other days.

User avatar
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:36 pm
Location: Long Island, N.Y.

Re: What do I need to know?

Post by Derek_S » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Hello Octavian - I would think that if you've got a good handle on terminal commands, that's about 75% of the battle. The other 25% is researching the steps involved with building your modules, installing the system and so on.

Probably the best thing you can do is join their user forum and read about any and all problems that others have faced. That way you're learning from their mistakes and not your own. :wink:
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”