Level 5
Level 5

Re: Best home printer, in your opinion

Postby coffee412 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

ngant17 wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:Canon PIXMA MG2550. Reasons:
Costs about 30 euros and works with bottle ink. :lol:
http://www.canon.fi/printers/inkjet/pixma/pixma_mg2550/

http://www.canon.fi/support/consumer_pr ... %20(32-bit)

PS. MG2250 requires Scangearmap program for scanning.

I'll never buy any Canon printer again, Linux compatible or not. They have built-in obsolescence hardwired into the printers. I had to let my Canon MX printer sit, covered up in a corner for a few months, undisturbed. When I spent $60 dollars for new ink cartridges, once I turned it back on, the Canon printer said there was a service issue and it locked up in that mode, saying I had to take it to a center for repair. All because I waited a few months to get new ink. This is a scam and I'm not buying it.

Sounds like the ink in the ink head dried up. Pretty common for ink jets that sit a while not being used. I have seen this in all types - Cannon, Epson, Brother ect.. Thats why I use toner cartridge printers.

Sorry to hear about your trouble but I would not blame Cannon exclusively.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

jglen490
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jglen490 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Revolt42 wrote:My old home printer finally died, and although I've seen a lot of troubleshooting threads here, I'm curious about simple recommendations. It's been years since I've shopped for a printer, so I would like to take an informal poll:

If you're particularly happy with your printer, and it works well with Linux Mint, I'd like to know what you're using (make/model) and the reasons why you're happy with it.

Thanks a lot, everyone. These forums are a great resource, and I look forward to your comments!

- Any - HP printer: Deskjet, Officejet, you-name-it-jet, it just works. And, if you want, a free printer management suite, but Linux works just as well without it.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

majpooper
Level 4
Level 4

Postby majpooper » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 pm

jglen490 wrote:- Any - HP printer: Deskjet, Officejet, you-name-it-jet, it just works. And, if you want, a free printer management suite, but Linux works just as well without it.

Ditto here on the HP - have an HP OfficeJet works great - I would encourage you to install HPLIP from the software manager although true it is not required it is free and well worth it.

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:21 am

I would advise staying away from inkjet printers, since they are ungodly expensive to operate, and manufacturers are particularly well-known for sabotaging their products with controls to force you to spend more money than you should have to.

I'm not specifically recommending the unit I have, though it's certainly adequate for baseline functionality (which is why I got it) but the HP LaserJet P1102w works very well in GNU+Linux, though you do have to add the so-called "plug-in" from HP and sometimes that process can be a touch glitchy. But, when it's all up and running, it works flawlessly afterward.

I personally would suggest looking for a higher-resolution printer, probably something more along the lines of one of the LaserJet 2000- or 3000 series, or better.

Honestly, I wish I had a large format version with full networking capability. Yes, this unit is wireless, but I really would like a somewhat higher-end unit. Frankly, wireless is itself not that big of a deal since you can just connect a bridge to the darned thing and call it good.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Return to “Chat about Linux”