Level 5
Level 5

Re: Best home printer, in your opinion

Post by coffee412 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

ngant17 wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:Canon PIXMA MG2550. Reasons:
Costs about 30 euros and works with bottle ink. :lol:
http://www.canon.fi/printers/inkjet/pixma/pixma_mg2550/

http://www.canon.fi/support/consumer_pr ... 20(32-bit)

PS. MG2250 requires Scangearmap program for scanning.
I'll never buy any Canon printer again, Linux compatible or not. They have built-in obsolescence hardwired into the printers. I had to let my Canon MX printer sit, covered up in a corner for a few months, undisturbed. When I spent $60 dollars for new ink cartridges, once I turned it back on, the Canon printer said there was a service issue and it locked up in that mode, saying I had to take it to a center for repair. All because I waited a few months to get new ink. This is a scam and I'm not buying it.
Sounds like the ink in the ink head dried up. Pretty common for ink jets that sit a while not being used. I have seen this in all types - Cannon, Epson, Brother ect.. Thats why I use toner cartridge printers.

Sorry to hear about your trouble but I would not blame Cannon exclusively.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

jglen490
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jglen490 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Revolt42 wrote:My old home printer finally died, and although I've seen a lot of troubleshooting threads here, I'm curious about simple recommendations. It's been years since I've shopped for a printer, so I would like to take an informal poll:

If you're particularly happy with your printer, and it works well with Linux Mint, I'd like to know what you're using (make/model) and the reasons why you're happy with it.

Thanks a lot, everyone. These forums are a great resource, and I look forward to your comments!
- Any - HP printer: Deskjet, Officejet, you-name-it-jet, it just works. And, if you want, a free printer management suite, but Linux works just as well without it.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 pm

jglen490 wrote: - Any - HP printer: Deskjet, Officejet, you-name-it-jet, it just works. And, if you want, a free printer management suite, but Linux works just as well without it.
Ditto here on the HP - have an HP OfficeJet works great - I would encourage you to install HPLIP from the software manager although true it is not required it is free and well worth it.

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:21 am

I would advise staying away from inkjet printers, since they are ungodly expensive to operate, and manufacturers are particularly well-known for sabotaging their products with controls to force you to spend more money than you should have to.

I'm not specifically recommending the unit I have, though it's certainly adequate for baseline functionality (which is why I got it) but the HP LaserJet P1102w works very well in GNU+Linux, though you do have to add the so-called "plug-in" from HP and sometimes that process can be a touch glitchy. But, when it's all up and running, it works flawlessly afterward.

I personally would suggest looking for a higher-resolution printer, probably something more along the lines of one of the LaserJet 2000- or 3000 series, or better.

Honestly, I wish I had a large format version with full networking capability. Yes, this unit is wireless, but I really would like a somewhat higher-end unit. Frankly, wireless is itself not that big of a deal since you can just connect a bridge to the darned thing and call it good.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

Return to “Chat about Linux”