Downloading Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larry316

Re: Downloading Linux

Post by larry316 »

jimallyn wrote:No bother, that's what we're here for. Glad you got it working.
I need more help. I am having a problem with finding a way to play midi files. Harmony Central had me totally confused. I know I can hear sound from websites and YouTube.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I downloaded a MIDI file, and double clicked it in the file manager, and it played in Videos. I probably installed some MIDI stuff sometime in the past. Searching in Synaptic for "midi" I find I have installed fluidsynth, libfluidsynth1, timidity, libwildmidi1, libwildmidi-config, libportmidi0, libportsmf0, fluid-soundfont-gm, qsynth, alsa-utils, libfluidsynth1:i386, and musescore-soundfont-gm. Pretty sure you don't need all of those, that's just what I happened to have on my computer.

Hang on, I just had another thought: I have a fresh install of Mint (all four desktops) in VirtualBox. Let me see what it takes to get MIDI playing in that.

I remembered that I have used the timidity MIDI player in the past, so I opened Synaptic and marked timidity for install. After marking timidity, I right clicked on it, and clicked Mark Recommended for Installation, and selected all the Recommends for install. That was freepats and timidity-daemon. Then I right clicked on timidity again, clicked Mark Suggested for Installation, and selected all the Suggested for install. That included pmidi, fluid-soundfont-gm, and fluid-soundfont-gs. Then I clicked Apply. It took several minutes to download and install these files. I double clicked the MIDI file I had downloaded again, and it opened the "Videos" program, and it looked like it was playing, but there was no sound. So, I went back to Synaptic and installed timidity-interfaces-extras. Then I clicked Menu, Sound & Video, Timidity++ MIDI Sequencer. In Timidity, I clicked file, navigated to where I had downloaded a MIDI file, and opened it. It played.

But there's got to be a better way. Timidity++ is rather crude looking. So, I installed the list of programs listed in the first paragraph, checking for Recommends and Suggesteds with each one. Again I double clicked the MIDI file in the File Manager. It opened in Videos and played. So, I think you should install all the programs I have listed in the first paragraph, and you should be in business.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
larry316

Post by larry316 »

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get more time.
jimallyn wrote:I downloaded a MIDI file, and double clicked it in the file manager, and it played in Videos. I probably installed some MIDI stuff sometime in the past. Searching in Synaptic for "midi" I find I have installed fluidsynth, libfluidsynth1, timidity, libwildmidi1, libwildmidi-config, libportmidi0, libportsmf0, fluid-soundfont-gm, qsynth, alsa-utils, libfluidsynth1:i386, and musescore-soundfont-gm. Pretty sure you don't need all of those, that's just what I happened to have on my computer.

Hang on, I just had another thought: I have a fresh install of Mint (all four desktops) in VirtualBox. Let me see what it takes to get MIDI playing in that.

I remembered that I have used the timidity MIDI player in the past, so I opened Synaptic and marked timidity for install. After marking timidity, I right clicked on it, and clicked Mark Recommended for Installation, and selected all the Recommends for install. That was freepats and timidity-daemon. Then I right clicked on timidity again, clicked Mark Suggested for Installation, and selected all the Suggested for install. That included pmidi, fluid-soundfont-gm, and fluid-soundfont-gs. Then I clicked Apply. It took several minutes to download and install these files. I double clicked the MIDI file I had downloaded again, and it opened the "Videos" program, and it looked like it was playing, but there was no sound. So, I went back to Synaptic and installed timidity-interfaces-extras. Then I clicked Menu, Sound & Video, Timidity++ MIDI Sequencer. In Timidity, I clicked file, navigated to where I had downloaded a MIDI file, and opened it. It played.

But there's got to be a better way. Timidity++ is rather crude looking. So, I installed the list of programs listed in the first paragraph, checking for Recommends and Suggesteds with each one. Again I double clicked the MIDI file in the File Manager. It opened in Videos and played. So, I think you should install all the programs I have listed in the first paragraph, and you should be in business.
larry316

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:Thanks, I will give it a try when I get more time.

I downloaded all the files you suggested.When I tried to double click it would bring up the Document Viewer and complained there was no plugin. So I tried VLC and was able to hear the midi file. So I will use VLC. Is there a way to set the double click so it will use VLC?
jimallyn wrote:I downloaded a MIDI file, and double clicked it in the file manager, and it played in Videos. I probably installed some MIDI stuff sometime in the past. Searching in Synaptic for "midi" I find I have installed fluidsynth, libfluidsynth1, timidity, libwildmidi1, libwildmidi-config, libportmidi0, libportsmf0, fluid-soundfont-gm, qsynth, alsa-utils, libfluidsynth1:i386, and musescore-soundfont-gm. Pretty sure you don't need all of those, that's just what I happened to have on my computer.

larry316

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:Thanks, I will give it a try when I get more time.

I downloaded all the files you suggested.When I tried to double click it would bring up the Document Viewer and complained there was no plugin. So I tried VLC and was able to hear the midi file. So I will use VLC. Is there a way to set the double click so it will use VLC?

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You should get in the habit of saying "I installed" rather than "I downloaded." "Downloaded" simply means that the file is stored somewhere on your computer. Downloading a file does not allow you to run it. "Installed" means that the various files that are contained in the .deb file have been written to the appropriate locations in the file system, and any post-install configuration has been done. This is usually done using Synaptic or Software Manager, or occasionally apt-get from the command line. When a .deb file is installed, you can run it. An entirely different thing from downloading.

To change the application that opens a file, click Menu, Preferences, System Settings, Preferred Applications.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
larry316

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:
austin.texas wrote:
MIDI players
To hear the output of abc2midi, you will need a MIDI player. You can find MIDI players and other software at Harmony-Central.
http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/original/
I installed abcmidi and abcmidi-yaps as the documentation you posted. I am a newbie and don't how to see it. Do I have to use a terminal command to be able to use these packages?
Thanks for any help
I managed to create abc ,listen to midi files and using yaps to see the score that was created. If you don't mind I have another request. To further my education I was looking at the http you pointed me to. I found a description of adding vocals to abc and also seeing the scores for for various instruments, but I don't remember where I saw it. Did you ever show this in the sample abc's you created?
larry316

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:
austin.texas wrote:
MIDI players
To hear the output of abc2midi, you will need a MIDI player. You can find MIDI players and other software at Harmony-Central.
I installed abcmidi and abcmidi-yaps as the documentation you posted. I am a newbie and don't how to see it. Do I have to use a terminal command to be able to use these packages?
Thanks for any help
I got everything working. In reading the documentation I remember viewing a voice input but I forgot where I found it. I also remember seeing scores of the various instruments and forgot where I saw it. Do you know where the sections are?
larry316

Post by larry316 »

M0em wrote:For that, Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop might very well be a good option. You can read about it here: http://www.linuxmint.com and here: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
I tried linuxmint but it will not work with an AMD processor which TOSHIBA Satellite C855D-S5100 has. I saw a reference to Ubuntu.Can I install on this type of laptop and still get dual boot with Windows 10?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

larry316 wrote: I tried linuxmint but it will not work with an AMD processor which TOSHIBA Satellite C855D-S5100 has.
May I ask where you got that information from? I can't confirm it. I found this: https://community.amd.com/thread/180446 and this https://community.amd.com/thread/180350 where people say that this should not be a problem.
What exactly happened when you tried?
larry316 wrote:I saw a reference to Ubuntu.Can I install on this type of laptop and still get dual boot with Windows 10?
Sure, that should be possible, just as possible as Mint. Keep in mind that Mint and Ubuntu aren't all that different under the hood.

This page may be helpful. https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /microcode

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
larry316

Post by larry316 »

M0em wrote:
larry316 wrote: I tried linuxmint but it will not work with an AMD processor which TOSHIBA Satellite C855D-S5100 has.
May I ask where you got that information from? I can't confirm it. I found this: https://community.amd.com/thread/180446 and this https://community.amd.com/thread/180350 where people say that this should not be a problem.
What exactly happened when you tried?

Here are the 3 options I see when it reads from the DVD:
1 Start Linux 17.2 64bit
2 Start Linux 17.2 64bit (Compare compatibility mode)
3 Check integrity
I'm writing this from another computer so this is what I remembered
The 2 option writes many messages and writes please wait. it writes 3 more lines and stops after writing Video Device (VGA)
Options 1 & 3 don't do anything I sat there waiting for them to do anything but gave up. I took a photo of the screen but I don't know how to add to the reply
larry316

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:
austin.texas wrote:
MIDI players
Thanks for any help
Does anyone have a very simple example of using the %%MIDI program command in the abc language? All the examples of abc that I looked at don't use that command.
larry316

Re:TiMidity

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:
jimallyn wrote:larry316, do you have abc files that you wish to convert to MIDI? That's what abc2midi does. If you want to listen to MIDI files, you need a MIDI player. There are several in the Mint repositories.
I have the abc files but I don't know how to to get to abc2midi.
I am using TiMidity to listen to midi files I get this message:
No instrument mapped to to tone bank 0, program 105 -
this instrument will be heard.
I used abc2midi.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I run Linux Mint full time on my MacBook Pro. Now, true, if you have things you want to do with your installation of Mac OS X, you would have to dual boot. But, if you don't need Mac OS X, just wipe the machine and set up Linux Mint instead.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
larry316

Post by larry316 »

I just acquired aTOSHIBA Satellite C855D. It is a 64 bit What version of Linux can I download? I remember a while back someone said you could not use Linux.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

larry316 wrote:I just acquired a Toshiba Satellite C855D. It is a 64 bit What version of Linux can I download? I remember a while back someone said you could not use Linux.
"You could not use Linux"? Why? :roll:

Personally, one of my computers is also a Toshiba laptop (it has about 5 years) and I have Linux on it without problem...

You say it is 64bit so you can download a 64 bit version, even if a 32 bit version can also run on 64 bit...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

With that computer, you would be better off with 17.3 Mate or xfce.
If 17.3 does not work well, try 17.2 - it has a different kernel and xorg (graphics).
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
larry316

Post by larry316 »

Another simple minded question. How do I download the version you recommend?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

From here.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

linuxviolin wrote: Personally, one of my computers is also a Toshiba laptop (it has about 5 years) and I have Linux on it without problem...
Mine is 7 years old now and it runs Cinnamon without a problem. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”