Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome

Post by Pepi »

Just took Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome for a spin :( Not my cup of tea. I think the KDE desktop is far better than Gnome IMO
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragezeichen

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome

Post by Fragezeichen »

I had already tried out GNOME for a couple of hours some months ago but I didn't like it too much (used Cinnamon and KDE before). Last week I thought I should give it another chance so I installed Arch with the latest GNOME 3. After getting accustomed to it and installing some useful extensions it has now become my new favorite desktop. :D
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I may try it out some more in VirtualBox :wink:
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

I'd recommend the "Dash to dock" extension.. (you can add and remove extensions using the gnome tweak tool).

Have fun. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I tried it out early last year and eventually stuck with it (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=163710). It's my personal favorite now and I've been using it on Arch since then.

When my dad earlier this year wanted me to set up a separate computer with Linux for him to safely do online banking and such, I let him try out various distros and desktop environments (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=202037). He decided on Debian with Gnome Shell because "it looked so unlike Windows."

Gnome keeps growing on me, though I'm not blind to why other people choose Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, Xfce, or others. I think Ubuntu isn't a good place to use Gnome; Arch, Debian, or Fedora (or Korora) are better places as they give you a full Gnome release. Ubuntu holds back some Gnome software to (different) older releases, giving you a hodgepodge of Gnome software.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I've been liking Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 a whole lot. For KDE, I prefer Mint KDE or Netrunner over Kubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux”