Ubuntu Minimal and Arch Linux...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marouane87

Ubuntu Minimal and Arch Linux...

Post by marouane87 »

Hello,

I know this is a Mint forum, but I've been here long enough to know that this community is a great one and open to discuss (and guide) users...
For me I've been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for two years now, and at this point, I want to move to another distribution that uses gnome (I'm tired of anything that reminds me of Windows: work station, server station, home parents PC). I want something refreshing and I think gnome is the DE for me.

Besides, I do not need all the stuff shiped with the different distribution (Just need a browser, email client, video and music players, 3g device support and yes Automounting partitions :D ).

I think Arch Linux and Minimal Ubuntu will allow me to reach this goal, but, I'm "afraid" of Arch specially that I'm using a laptop (Disk spinning speed, power management etc...), I can not have the idea of damaging the hardware... But I don't know much about Arch and if it can cause damages...

Ubuntu Minimal on the other hand will manage those stuff (I suppose...) and I will just have to install gnome and the applications I need. Hoping I'm not mistaken... But the thing with Ubuntu, it is its cycle, I will have to reinstall each single application with the new release (specially that I want to have always the latest updates applications and gnome).

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and can have an advice or even have an idea that didn't occur to me yet about another linux ditribution.

Thank you and sorry for the long post :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Ubuntu Minimal and Arch Linux...

Post by xenopeek »

Why Ubuntu Minimal and not just Ubuntu GNOME? The downside of Ubuntu of course is that their development releases have very short support periods. Barely 7 months left on Ubuntu 15.10. Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 uses Gnome 3.16.

I'd recommend you consider Debian. Debian 8 comes with Gnome 3.14, which I found to have less bugs than Gnome 3.16. The benefit of Debian 8 is you'll have support till mid 2018 and long-term support even till mid 2020.

You could go the Arch Linux route, which I did, but certainly the first time installing can be a challenge. Benefit of Arch Linux is you'll have endless support :wink: And generally a month or so after a new Gnome release is done it arrives on Arch Linux (after having been put through testing). Right now you have Gnome 3.18 (which also is better than Ubuntu 15.10's Gnome 3.16). The beginner's guide gets you on track https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide. I did my first install on VirtualBox a couple of times till I was confident with the steps (I had some specific needs; I wanted to use btrfs with subvolumes, without LVM, and with full disk encryption—took some reading on the Wiki and trying to figure everything out). The Wiki is excellent and has information on lots of topics.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Well if you like Gnome:

https://ubuntugnome.org/

or

https://kororaproject.org/ (Fedora based with user friendly touch)

In Arch you do whatever you want, it fits any purpose (if you now how to deal with it).
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

To help you install Arch, you can install with either Antergos or Architect Linux and get a fairly pure Arch install in a shorter period of installation.
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

Thank you very much. I tried Arch on a virtual machine and I like its "simplicity" (thought installing wasn't that hard on an empty virtual disk :roll: )
I'm having 2 little concerns before attempting the real install and maybe you could help me out :)

- If I erase all Mint partitions and use it for Arch, will grub still know that Windows exist and Mint vanished to be properly installed?
- Does Wifi and 3g devices make a lot of hassle before working? (I couldn't test them on a VBox)?

Thank you again :) !
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Grub will know Windows exists. Before you do a real install I do suggest you back up any important personal files from Windows. A mistake is easily made.

As for Wifi and 3G I think that depends on the specific models. Ideally you have an wired connection as backup. The beginners' guide does cover how to connect to wifi for use during installation. You can find the device name of your network interfaces with the command "ip link".

It is also useful to have another computer available with Internet access, so if needed you can consult the Arch Linux Wiki from there if you run into doubts. If the wired connection works while booted from the installation medium (DVD / USB) -- you can test with a ping to google.com -- then you can also install "links" or similar text mode web browser as a last resort to find info to help yourself.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

FYI, there is an Android app to access the Arch Wiki at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ewer&hl=en
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

A little feedback, I feel that Linux is against me... :lol:
I went for Arch, I've been able to install it along with gnome. It was a good experience, but I faced a lot of conflicts in network (Wifi not always working, cable connection too, some trouble with mounting partitions etc...). Since, I can't afford to face sudden troubles after the holiday, I couldn't, sadly, stick with it.
So, I made some more reading about other distributions, and updates takes too long for Debian and I really enjoy getting the latest updates (specially to discover gnome), so I went for Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 (I think it would be ok then reinstall the system with gnome 16.04 out as it will be an LTS). I liked it, but again, I faced trouble, the 3g device didn't work... And at this point I think it's related to Kernel... Because it used to work with Linux Mint 16 and 17 (17.1 and 17.2 upgraded from 17) and I faced some trouble (device not known on reboot) with a fresh install of 17.3 in the past...

Si, yes as I said, Linux is gainst me for now :roll:
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

That sounds like a typical Linux Distro hopping experience.... In one Distro your network does not work, in the other there is a bunch of ancient apps, in the other the entire computer freeze because you have some unique CPU... and the list goes on and on and on... these are the exact same reasons it took me 10 years to ditch Windows :P

Your issue with Arch, could be that you are using Network Manager and something else like dhcpd to control your network card that are causing a conflict?
In Ubuntu GNOME, Did you try to upgrade the Kernel (if possible)?
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

I think so for Arch, but as I said what made me move on is the unexpected problems: Internet works, reboot: stops working. Disks mounted, works, after that no more mounting etc... :)

For Ubuntu Gnome, I've run "upgrade", "dist-upgrade", installed kernel 4.3.3 (and even tried the latest version of modem manager 1.4.12), but nohting changed :?

Return to “Chat about Linux”