I cannot convince my family to use Linux

Chat about Linux in general
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I cannot convince my family to use Linux

Post by BigEasy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 am

xfrank wrote:I'm a bit disappointed. I've done almost everything to promote Linux and Open Source in my family. What else can I do?
For you is very little to do. It's just:
1. convince the wife architect that he does not need Autocad to her work
2. convince daughter that GIMP is full functions analog of Photoshop.
3. convince everybody that LibreOffice is full functions analog of Office.
4. after all above take responsibility for your words. For example if somebody can't properly works with full of macros and functions Excel document opened in LibreOffice (and contra) then you should pay them. Life and work is not joke, entertainment or hobby.

Are you ready?
Last edited by BigEasy on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:58 am

GreyGeek wrote: At one time, a few years ago, I was supporting over a dozen Windows users, most my age (late 60's at the time) or older. Mainly because they attended the church I attended. They would complain about their windows problems and ask me to come over and fix Windows because they knew I wrote software and at one time sold and supported computers. It got tiresome to be called back to fix the same problem over and over (usually viruses or tampering with the cables or settings), so I told them that I was no longer supporting Windows and if they wanted me to continue to support their system they'd have to allow me to replace Windows with Linux. A dozen or so agreed. Over the next few years my support calls were essentially zero, unless a grandson forced a CDROM closed without properly seating the CD tray.
The really, really sad part -especially at church - is the older people. I can't tell you how many time I get a call that goes something like this: ""Jim, can you look at my computer? I know you're busy. A couple of weeks ago, this window popped up and said my computer was infected. I called the toll free number and they said they would fix it for me over the Internet. I sent them $250 to do it because I didn't want to bother you. Now they want me to pay for a 'subscription' to their service. I still can't use my computer. What should I do?"

Blood-sucking, soul-less, parasitic creeps. That's the number one reason to evangelize for alternatives to Windows.

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:41 am

xfrank wrote: About games, I can push my sons to install Steam on Linux and let's see what happens, but there is still the problem of some Windows-only games. Maybe they could get accustomed to switch between MS and Linux in a dual boot arrangement.
I've setup a dual boot for my kid for the exact same reasons, for Windows Games only there is no other choice for him to boot into Windows otherwise he logs into Linux. Over the time they will realize the difference by themselves, last night I was booting a Windows 10 laptop right next to my desktop and suddenly my child started a conversation saying:

"Hey dad look the login screen is ready in your PC you can start using it, Windows is so slow starting up." That! was hilarious I was :lol: :lol: :lol: So I've asked, But slow? How? and he said "It is slow on everything, everything that you try open takes a lot of time."

He's only using my desktop with dual-boot, the exact same PC (8GB RAM, 7200RPM disk, Nv GTX750), matter of fact Linux is installed in the slowest SATA-II disk and Windows is running from a SATA-III disk. On both Windows and Linux he has a limited user account so he cannot change any system settings, so is not that he trashed Windows or anything like that.

If a 9 year old kid can superficially notice the difference between Windows vs Linux anyone should be able to, just let them experience Linux at their own peace.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:49 am

Ark987 wrote: "Hey dad look the login screen is ready in your PC you can start using it, Windows is so slow starting up." That! was hilarious I was :lol: :lol: :lol: So I've asked, But slow? How? and he said "It is slow on everything, everything that you try open takes a lot of time."
If you really want to blow his mind, look into the prelink and preload packages. :)

http://linux.die.net/man/8/prelink

http://sourceforge.net/projects/preload/

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Didn't read all the replies, so probably repeating someone else, but the fact is that your family all have specific software requirements for which there is not a competitive Linux alternative at the moment.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Just tell them:
YOU can't Handle the Root!!
That should pique their interest.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:31 am

I would kill them all. That's what I normally do in these situations.
Saves a mint on housekeeping too plus holiday gifts.

The only down side is finding a country without an extradition treaty,
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JusTertii » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:36 am

BigEasy wrote:3. convince everybody that LibreOffice is full functions analog of Office.
I gotta say, you'll have your work cut out for you with that one!

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JusTertii » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:48 am

LinuxJim wrote:If you really want to blow his mind, look into the prelink and preload packages. :)
Did not know about these packages. Totally awesome. Why are these not installed by default?

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:08 am

JusTertii wrote:
Did not know about these packages. Totally awesome. Why are these not installed by default?
Probably because they're a bit more advanced performance tweak that may not be suitable for the average user.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:23 pm

If they use a smartphone or tablet, no need for Linux. My stepson has a PC with W10 for a business and only needs to check his data base once a week maybe and get a little music with iTunes. Ninety nine percent of the time, his iPad 4 does just fine.
I have been using Linux since 2003 and I seriously doubt Linux in PC's will ever get much bigger.
Good for a blah, blah, blah discussion though.
I use a Linux laptop some but use an iPhone and iPad a lot now.
Kind of seems like Linux is being left behind. technology is evolving.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:58 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
GreyGeek wrote: At one time, a few years ago, I was supporting over a dozen Windows users, most my age (late 60's at the time) or older. Mainly because they attended the church I attended. They would complain about their windows problems and ask me to come over and fix Windows because they knew I wrote software and at one time sold and supported computers. It got tiresome to be called back to fix the same problem over and over (usually viruses or tampering with the cables or settings), so I told them that I was no longer supporting Windows and if they wanted me to continue to support their system they'd have to allow me to replace Windows with Linux. A dozen or so agreed. Over the next few years my support calls were essentially zero, unless a grandson forced a CDROM closed without properly seating the CD tray.
The really, really sad part -especially at church - is the older people. I can't tell you how many time I get a call that goes something like this: ""Jim, can you look at my computer? I know you're busy. A couple of weeks ago, this window popped up and said my computer was infected. I called the toll free number and they said they would fix it for me over the Internet. I sent them $250 to do it because I didn't want to bother you. Now they want me to pay for a 'subscription' to their service. I still can't use my computer. What should I do?"

Blood-sucking, soul-less, parasitic creeps. That's the number one reason to evangelize for alternatives to Windows.
Poor guy! But this is fairly common, those "companies" take advantage over the average "ignorant" people. Having a basic knowledge about software and hardware is a matter of necessity nowadays.
My family is safe because I'm the tech guy, I can fix almost everything, I make desktops and install any OS and programs they want.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

lexon wrote:If they use a smartphone or tablet, no need for Linux. My stepson has a PC with W10 for a business and only needs to check his data base once a week maybe and get a little music with iTunes. Ninety nine percent of the time, his iPad 4 does just fine.
I have been using Linux since 2003 and I seriously doubt Linux in PC's will ever get much bigger.
Good for a blah, blah, blah discussion though.
I use a Linux laptop some but use an iPhone and iPad a lot now.
Kind of seems like Linux is being left behind. technology is evolving.

L
The mobile environment is another world, literally. My kids use tablets of course (Android) and all we have phones (Android) but that are gadgets with different purposes. We still all need "real" computers, devices that can do the "hard" work. Personally I still prefer overall PCs, either desktops or laptops. Maybe I'm old school, but... :D
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:11 pm

MintBean wrote:Didn't read all the replies, so probably repeating someone else, but the fact is that your family all have specific software requirements for which there is not a competitive Linux alternative at the moment.
Yes, definitively. I can accept this. I joke about being "slaves of Bill Gates" with my kids, but this is humorous, and we laugh :lol: Anyway, everyone with its own needs. Linux must no convert in "One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them" (Linux would be rather "the light" but anyway...) 8)

Return to “Chat about Linux”