Solus operating system - the future...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Solus operating system - the future...

Post by Lucap »

Linux Action Show review of Solus yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-V_qxYwlXk

review starts at 37:20
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I couldn't get the Budgie edition to install under VirtualBox, but the MATE edition installed just fine.
It's okay. A very reasonable recommendation to someone looking for a "daily driver" workstation...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

So, I ran the Live ISO. It looks nice, but it is missing some very important software for me, so... I'll be patient and wait.

I actually had previously run the Fedora 25 Live ISO, and so I noticed there were a number of UI elements that are straight outta Gnome 3.22. Honestly, I'm not so keen on that.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Penn

Post by Penn »

samriggs wrote:Glad to see Ikey still at it, the linux community needs more folks like him.
He's the reason I used LMDE in the past and has contributed a ton the community.

Just glad to see him still at it :D
When this thread was new I skimmed the article but wasn't interested. If I knew he was behind the LMDE I use (yes I missed that when skimming) I might have paid more attention. I agree with his views on that subject. Mint should put more focus on LMDE and just add whatever they need to get everything they want into it to bypass the middle man but only if they can reduce the bloat from Ubuntu while still having the "benefits". I notice LMDE uses less resources as in both ram and cpu. It might be tricky but PPA's can be added to Debian and over time if there were already there we would see almost as many PPA options and as he said, if there is a demand for something not in the Debian repos, it can be added to LMDE.

As far as his current project, from what I see Solus has more development to go before I use it but I haven't had a chance to take it for a test drive.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Budgie Desktop Is Moving to Qt
If it was possible to do what I need to do while plugging into GNOME then we would've done that. It ends badly (look at MGSE which later forked GNOME into Cinnamon) - and I already tried it. I do not want a whacking great big JavaScript interpreter with a globals table to provide my Shell. In terms of vision and direction they are fundamentally incompatible.
I thought he worked on Mint?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Lucap wrote:
I thought he worked on Mint?
He did years ago but it was on lmde before cinnamon really came in.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

For a moment there i thought he was slagging off his own work. :P
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi »

How does it compare to Linux Mint (Mainly performance wise)?
Will it be able to run any program which runs on Linux Mint?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

You may be interested in the latest news of SolusOS.

See the current issue of Distrowatch and then go to https://getsol.us/2018/10/27/in-full-sail/
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

tenfoot wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 pm You may be interested in the latest news of SolusOS.

See the current issue of Distrowatch and then go to https://getsol.us/2018/10/27/in-full-sail/
I've never used Solus but here's wishing that Ikey is well and that Solus does well.

Return to “Chat about Linux”