Solus operating system - the future...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Solus operating system - the future...

Post by tenfoot »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
SOCRATE_MMXII

Re: Solus operating system - the future...

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII »

Crappy GUI. Plasma 5 looks way better.
SolusOS...crap of the future. :lol:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Interesting article though.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

SOCRATE_MMXII wrote:Crappy GUI. Plasma 5 looks way better.
SolusOS...crap of the future.
Please be respectful with his work. You may not like it, but some users actually like it. It's a matter of taste. In any cases, please be respectful.
SOCRATE_MMXII

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII »

killer de bug wrote:
SOCRATE_MMXII wrote:Crappy GUI. Plasma 5 looks way better.
SolusOS...crap of the future.
Please be respectful with his work. You may not like it, but some users actually like it. It's a matter of taste. In any cases, please be respectful.
Noted.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have always thought Ikey has a lot of talent and it's nice to see his project doing so well.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

exploder wrote:I have always thought Ikey has a lot of talent and it's nice to see his project doing so well.
I feel the same regarding his talent. His track record for sticking with a project is very sketchy and for that reason I will avoid anything he produces for any production machines.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

exploder wrote:I have always thought Ikey has a lot of talent and it's nice to see his project doing so well.
Indeed, he has some good programming skills. He is always producing interesting stuff.
kwisher wrote: His track record for sticking with a project is very sketchy and for that reason I will avoid anything he produces for any production machines.
Two ways of seeing things:
1) He is a creative guy. He has an idea, starts the implementation and then, with the proof of concept, he is bored and moves to something else. This is important in an engineering team. You have always a guy proposing ideas, giving proof of concept, and then other members implement them in a more detailed way.

2) Or, we must admit that Ikey has never been really good as a team member. He prefers to be free. :)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

WOW! :shock:

Hands down this has to be the best OS i've ever used.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Interesting article.

Being an old-school Star Wars geek, when I read the name, the first thing which popped into my head was a bit of dialog between Vader and Emperor Palpatine:

Vader: What of the reports of the Rebel Fleet massing near Sullust?

Emperor: It is of no concern.

Yes, I am that sort of geek. ;-)

Btw, I just watched a video demo of Budgie 10. What's crap about that? It actually looks like one of the most professional desktops out there, maybe even on par with Aqua.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Wow, he has some big ideas! If he pulls it all off that will really be something.
Never knew he was behind Linux Mint Debian Edition.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

killer de bug wrote:Please be respectful with his work. You may not like it, but some users actually like it. It's a matter of taste. In any cases, please be respectful.
Yes, we are. But if you are a fun read please the very end of the article
If you’re a fan of Solus, why not help pay the bills and head to Patreon?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Glad to see Ikey still at it, the linux community needs more folks like him.
He's the reason I used LMDE in the past and has contributed a ton the community.
I see nothing wrong with folks supporting their favorite distro, it takes a ton of time to develop and they should be supported in whatever way possible, the main thing here it is still a choice to support or not support.
Servers cost money as does the time needed to develop.

Just glad to see him still at it :D
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

BigEasy wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Please be respectful with his work. You may not like it, but some users actually like it. It's a matter of taste. In any cases, please be respectful.
Yes, we are. But if you are a fun read please the very end of the article
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3178

" A total of $11,372 were raised "

How is it any different too Mint?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

samriggs wrote:Glad to see Ikey still at it, the linux community needs more folks like him.
He's the reason I used LMDE in the past and has contributed a ton the community.
I see nothing wrong with folks supporting their favorite distro, it takes a ton of time to develop and they should be supported in whatever way possible, the main thing here it is still a choice to support or not support.
Servers cost money as does the time needed to develop.

Just glad to see him still at it :D
Agree Sam on all points. For those who have a problem with polite requests for voluntary support, surely you also take issue with Mint and the significant sums they raise in sponsorship and donations each month?

If an OS is worthwhile, it's worth supporting the developers to the extent that they can go full time. Whilst I'm still firmly a Mint man, I'm glad to see projects like Solus advancing.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Lucap wrote:Hands down this has to be the best OS i've ever used.
Really? I just installed it in VirtualBox, and although the Menu is a bit different (but nothing that the average person wouldn't figure out immediately), other than that it doesn't seem much different than any other distro. What makes it the best OS you've ever used?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

Best of luck to him!

I'm not very tech savvy, but isn't there a good reason so many distros being based off of Debian? Namely, designing a package management system being very hard?
It seems to me he may be bitting off a lot more then he can chew, and his past choices to avoid Debian haven't exactly ended well...
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

jimallyn wrote:What makes it the best OS you've ever used?
The entire user experience , not one thing particularly.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Everyone has his/her own individual preferences. I simply can't stay with an OS or app that take less advantage of the right-click for context sensitive menus. When I click RMB on a panel, for instance, I expect to see options to edit, add, configure, etc. This Solus OS wants you to change your ways of seeing things much like Fedora and others.

It may be that they're thinking of unifying desktop and mobiles, which have non-existent RMB let alone a keyboard. But why, instead of subtracting items, not let existing conventions stay, and just add options or whatever you want to introduce? And this is what I don't get with some developers. They choose to ignore what works for users, they re-invent the wheel and expect you to see things their way.

A good UI for me is about less mouse clicks and less distance travel. The RMB pop up is all about bridging distance.

It's also about more options in accessing features or apps. Just because there's already an icon for Firefox, for instance, doesn't mean you don't need another means to access it, ie, by keyboard shortcut, by menu, taskbar, etc.

Return to “Chat about Linux”