Bash on Linux on Win 10

Chat about Linux in general
juicer
Level 3
Level 3

Bash on Linux on Win 10

Post by juicer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Not sure where to post this news piece about running Linux/Ubuntu on Windows (not VM)
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11331 ... buntu-bash
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to Open Chat - as not a linuxMint issue.
Water invented man as a means of transportation.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Bash on Linux on Win 10

Post by Pierre » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:04 pm

yeah - saw that article, too.

it's the wrong way around - M$ should be running Under Ubuntu
:lol:

it seems that as M$ loses more ground, that they will continue to enter into partnerships
that they once, would have never considered.
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ ... +-+news%29

there will be, of course, those that will consider that Ubuntu - has 'sold out'.
- the main point being - that you still have to use the "Microsoft Store".
that's always the M$ hard sell.

The technique is aimed primarily at developers.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

Microsoft's way, straight from its own mouth.

This is the first in a series of carefully planned steps to 'extinguish' Linux.

I'm betting the short-term goal is to slow down the abandon-ship phenomena that is clearly gaining ground. Microsoft needs to coddle and woo as many developers as they can before they lose them all.

Then, they'll take this bash and posix interface and Microsoft-ify it into a bash-powershell frankenstein that will further move things toward lock-in once again. Next will be a few strategically placed patent lawsuits.

Am I bitter? No, not at all. Just experienced. ;)

EDIT: The more I reflect on this, the more I hope they succeed. It will keep the malware bulls-eye aimed squarely at Windows, while Linux continues to evolve in a different direction. In a way, Linux has gotten too big for its britches - it could use a few wake-up calls to force us to build a better system, rather than the current track of turning Linux into a Windows 'clone'.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 am

LinuxJim wrote:Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

Microsoft's way, straight from its own mouth.

This is the first in a series of carefully planned steps to 'extinguish' Linux.

I'm betting the short-term goal is to slow down the abandon-ship phenomena that is clearly gaining ground. Microsoft needs to coddle and woo as many developers as they can before they lose them all.

Then, they'll take this bash and posix interface and Microsoft-ify it into a bash-powershell frankenstein that will further move things toward lock-in once again. Next will be a few strategically placed patent lawsuits.

Am I bitter? No, not at all. Just experienced. ;)
Give me this weekend's Powerball numbers please since you can predict the future.
Thanks

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 am

z31fanatic wrote:Give me this weekend's Powerball numbers please since you can predict the future.
Thanks
History has a tendency to repeat itself. In Microsoft's case, many times over. :lol:

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:52 am

I also read the linked blog posting from Scott Hanselman. I had to chuckle at "Of course, I have no idea how to CLOSE emacs, so I'll close the window. ;)"

This is directly below an image of the EMACS Welcome screen ... which clearly shows how to exit the program. *sigh*

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 am

Sheesh! They want to make everyone suffer with 2 day long updates and blue screens! Make it so big brother can be in all machines again! Trying to position themselves for a stealthy takeover! Oh, Hell No! :evil:
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:47 am

They're calling it Bash Execution Environment Resources (BEER).
So you can have WINE under Linux or BEER under Windows
:lol:
This new Microsoft/Canonical project is instead about running ELF Linux binaries natively on Windows.
You could literally copy them directly off a Linux system onto your Windows system and run them as-is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 am

I do not see it as that big a deal, most average users won't even know about it, or care. I would think of it not as MS entering our world, but as us entering there's.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 am

Crewp wrote:I do not see it as that big a deal, most average users won't even know about it, or care. I would think of it not as MS entering our world, but as us entering there's.
Correct. It's the reverse of Wine. Only relevant for cloud developers, but highly amusing. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:10 am

Crewp wrote: I would think of it not as MS entering our world, but as us entering there's.
If you can't beat them, join them. :lol:

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:29 pm

all I can think of is M$ must have paid Canonical a pile of $$$ to do this

it seems clear to me that many -- if not most -- folks who come to Linux from M$ -- are simply fed up with the issues related to the M$ system -- and want nothing further to do with that system.

a proper o/s simply provides the services your application programs need -- to run safely.

but, -- I'm preachin' to the Choir here,-- and there's really no need for that. I mention it only as I think most of us Linux folks will have no use for their idea.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:06 pm

The developer world is so politically fickle these days. There are all of the internal scrims between the various Linux distros - Arch doesn't like Manjaro; Devuan doesn't like Debian which doesn't like Ubuntu/Mint; BSD doesn't care for Linux, unless you are Ubuntu, which now has an UbuntuBSD in the works. To go up a level, there is the eternal dislike between MS and Linux, and by corollary, Unix. Then there's the one most everyday users see as the Apple vs. MS vs. Google/Android conflagration. I'm not sure what to make of the 2016 bash announcement. I do think, with the demise of MS mobile on the phone platform, MS is desperate to entice dev's to their platform. If they can get Linux dev's to enter their development needs, they will make concessions - bash is a start. If nothing else, the world if hi tech is constantly evolving, and I sort of see this gesture by MS as a positive trend. Linux is doing fine as a server OS, as a desktop/laptop OS, and in powering all sorts of ARM oriented micro devices. It lags in mobile support, and I think might benefit from some of the other-worldly virtual reality stuff that MS presented at their 2016 gig in San Francisco. Things are changing. That is the only constant. Cheerio :wink:
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:46 am

Pierre wrote:
This new Microsoft/Canonical project is instead about running ELF Linux binaries natively on Windows.
You could literally copy them directly off a Linux system onto your Windows system and run them as-is.
...and then literally spend days figuring out why it doesn't work.

They quietly left out mention of the infrastructure needed to run a typical Linux ELF binary - all those shared library dependencies, inter-process communication, path assumptions, daemon interfaces... Sure, simpler, statically linked programs will run. Things like ls, cp, mv, rm, bash.

I don't see how this is fundamentally different from the posix translation layer that goes back to Windows NT. It's just a translation of posix system calls to win32 system calls. You could take a Linux binary and run it on Windows NT - way back in 2001 (if you didn't know that, it tells you how popular it was). They did spend some quality meeting time coming up with a new name for it, though. ;)

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:16 pm

"Bash on Linux on Win 10"? Yes, I'll be happy to bash even the idea of Linux on Windows. :) Ugh!

I think LinuxJim said it best. I'll be highly surprised (and impressed, though not necessarily in a good way...) if this actually works well.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

RadoslavCap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadoslavCap » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:42 pm

I have still trouble how to understand this announcement.

Why MS is doing this?

Are there any scenarios when it will be useful? For whom?

Thank's for any ideas.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:58 pm

RadoslavCap wrote: Are there any scenarios when it will be useful? For whom?
For you and I as regular users it means nothing. This is good for developers. It will make their life easier.
This has gotten very good response from developers.

RadoslavCap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadoslavCap » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:42 pm

z31fanatic wrote:This is good for developers. It will make their life easier.
This has gotten very good response from developers.
Thank you for reply.

I'm looking for response from developers.

There are Windows developers developing software for Windows platform. Also there are Linux developers developing software for Linux.

I still don't understand who is target audience for this.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Several chaps develop for both Linux and Windows. If this actually works it will make dev work easier for them, since they'll be able to code in Windows and then immediately check their work in Linux without rebooting.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

RadoslavCap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadoslavCap » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:Several chaps develop for both Linux and Windows. If this actually works it will make dev work easier for them, since they'll be able to code in Windows and then immediately check their work in Linux without rebooting.
Do you mean some type of cross platform development? If I have understood announcement well is it about bash without GUI.

Can you mention some type of application or some real scenario?

Please, don't understand me wrong for these questions. I'm simply unable to imagine who will benefit from this.

Return to “Chat about Linux”