Bash on Linux on Win 10

Chat about Linux in general
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Bash on Linux on Win 10

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:04 pm

I don't know if they'll be able to start a gui from bash--so maybe no startx or anything.

But what I mean is, say a Firefox developer is working on his Windows 10 box and wants to test some aspect of the Linux version of firefox. Before this he would have to reboot into Linux (or start a virtual machine) and then run firefox from there. With this new bash-on-windows idea, he can possibly just start the Linux firefox from bash, inside Windows 10, and test from there.

That is, assuming that this actually works. I lean towards LinuxJim's thoughts that this may only work for simple tools and applications.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

elbullazul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elbullazul » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:58 pm

I think windoze's bash will only be able to run text-only apps, since x.org or wayland won't have the dependencies needed to run, thus disabling the option of running Linux GUIs or graphical applications.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 pm

RadoslavCap wrote:Please, don't understand me wrong for these questions. I'm simply unable to imagine who will benefit from this.
I think (and these are just educated guesses based on a long history) the only benefit in sight is Microsoft's market share.

As OSX and Linux have become more popular, a sizable number of previously Windows-only developers have moved to the cross-platform model. They now offer their products for not only Windows, but also OS X, Linux, and sometimes even Android and iOS. And by far, the easiest platform to do cross-development work on is Linux (OS X is not too bad, either). But trying to use Visual Studio under Windows is a painful exercise, unless you're doing Windows-only development. They make it super-easy for that.

So Microsoft is trying to win back those developers by offering a "Linux-like" development environment. Problem is, the bash shell and a few command line utilities are only a small part of the Linux 'experience' for developers. They haven't begun to address the things that made developers leave in the first place - support for doing cross-platform stuff (like Microsoft is ever going to make it EASIER to develop programs for OS X or Linux or Android or iOS - under Windows).

Microsoft is hoping to lure back a number of these developers, and I suspect a number of new ones - and then, Microsoft will change the tools just enough to lock them back into the Windows platform by making those tools (once more) incompatible with anything but Windows. Which (they hope) will drive a nail into the coffin of Linux, and drive OS X back down to niche-market size.

Of course, this is all my opinion - but I'd be surprised if any of it is far off the mark - it's a well-worn path that Microsoft travels.

RadoslavCap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadoslavCap » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
RadoslavCap wrote:Please, don't understand me wrong for these questions. I'm simply unable to imagine who will benefit from this.
I think ...
... it's a well-worn path that Microsoft travels.
Thank you for your opinion. My opinion is same as yours.

RadoslavCap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RadoslavCap » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:08 pm

Why Microsoft needed to make Windows run Linux software
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -software/

rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:04 am

RadoslavCap wrote:Do you mean some type of cross platform development? If I have understood announcement well is it about bash without GUI.

Can you mention some type of application or some real scenario?

Please, don't understand me wrong for these questions. I'm simply unable to imagine who will benefit from this.
I'm not a developer, but I imagine this will mostly apply to web servers and database maintenance and development. Stuff where the GUI is not used.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:36 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
Microsoft is hoping to lure back a number of these developers, and I suspect a number of new ones - and then, Microsoft will change the tools just enough to lock them back into the Windows platform by making those tools (once more) incompatible with anything but Windows. Which (they hope) will drive a nail into the coffin of Linux, and drive OS X back down to niche-market size.

Of course, this is all my opinion - but I'd be surprised if any of it is far off the mark - it's a well-worn path that Microsoft travels.
Yup I agree with this, microsoft never does anything to be nice as far as I remember, there is always a double motive and in the end it just to manipulate and benefit them, not the users, mainly for market share.
Like a read once in a book years ago about running a business the best thing you can hope for is the death of your competition to give you the monopoly.
Kind of harsh and personally I think competition is a very healthy thing for the people and keeping business honest.

Just a few languages microsoft has locked in the past was JScript C# J++ J#

The thing that developers, NOT working for microsoft, to do is ignore them and just use the standard.
Just like when oracle tried to sell open office, out came libre office and they couldn't give away open office after that, now it has increased abit but not like it used to be.

Remember when Lindows came out, microsoft sued them over the name, took major ownership (partnership with linux) and shut it down.

Same old story repeating itself over and over again.

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Return to “Chat about Linux”