Linux for a small business

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eugeniotgn

Linux for a small business

Post by eugeniotgn »

Hi:
i have been user of Linuxmint Qiana, but didn´t find any good software for my business for do budgets, delivery notes, invoices.
Someone around here knows of programs that are good for this or use linux for work (not programmer)??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux for a small business

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
eugeniotgn

Post by eugeniotgn »

thanks, but not that. I need software for manage clientes, delivery notes, products, budgets...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

eugeniotgn wrote:thanks, but not that. I need software for manage clientes, delivery notes, products, budgets...
whatever you decide on - windows / linux / mac - there will be a stiff learning curve.
- if it's on a windows system - you will have to upgrade to an unfamiliar version
- if it's on a linux / mac system - you will have to install software that is also unfamiliar.
you won't get away from that unfamiliar feeling :o

people stayed on win_xp for so long, that it was as familiar as an old sock.
- old & worn
to change to something new - will take getting used to.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I manage to do my taxes with librecalc but my company is tiny. Sadly most proprietary vendors like quickbooks avoid linux. :cry:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Here is a tax software for linux but only for the states sadly, no good for me but maybe for someone down south of me.
http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/
Not sure how good it is but this got me curious now because I might need some more business software soon myself or just as you did Chiefahol and just create a spreadsheet for it which is what I usually do.
Good enough if it's only small and you know enough about coding a spreadsheet which isn't that hard.
If it grows just create a web based business software and run it through an intranet using php mySql and html5 run on an internal server or any old unused computer with xxamp installed :lol: .
Just as long as it doesn't reach the outside world your good to go and secure or as good as you can make it.
That's probably the path I'll follow if it grows later on.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

eugeniotgn wrote:Hi:
i have been user of Linuxmint Qiana, but didn´t find any good software for my business for do budgets, delivery notes, invoices.
Someone around here knows of programs that are good for this or use linux for work (not programmer)??
I'm not sure, eugeniotgn, if there is a truly 100% solution to your situation. In many cases, it's liable to become a mix of "a little bit of this, a little bit of that". And, depending on industry, that can be true no matter *what* OS platform you're running.

Another option in addition to what's been posted so far up-thread is to look at Crossover (formerly "Crossover Office") which, based on WINE, is essentially a Windows compatibility layer. It's a commercial product based on libre software, and has a lot of development effort being poured into it. They are also pretty honest about what their product works with, and how well. They also contribute back to the WINE project their improvements, so everyone basically benefits.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility <-- direct link to their software compatibility database search tool

Good luck!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”