Number of Linux users is growing!

Chat about Linux in general
User avatar
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Chiefahol »

I don't see GNU/Linux winning the majority of users unless it can properly move to mobile phone/tablet platforms.

Sure, Android will always be popular, but that might be all there ever is unless Linux distros can become mobile as well. (Thankfully i hear Ubuntu phones are selling out, but that is just a start.)
Donate to your favourite distros!

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Portreve »

Sundowner wrote:Linux as a desktop or laptop OS would become better known and more popular if Linux were used as an alternate choice in schools. If Linux was introduced at the lowest grade computers are made available to students, then the operating system wouldn't seem to frightening to them as it is to most people who have spent most of their computing lives on Windows.
Well, if you go back to comments by Linus Torvalds in the 2001 documentary Revolution OS, he says an OS is basically supposed to be invisible to the user, and surely this aspect of OSs generally doesn't really help matters.

The only people who ever really care about the OS itself are people here like us, who are actual technology enthusiasts. The lay public don't know and don't care.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

User avatar
orion2014
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:52 am
Location: New York, New York

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by orion2014 »

I certainly agree with Portreve. For years I've been trying to introduce people to Linux. I also assumed Android users would have no problem making the switch. What I realized over the years from letting my friends use my computer when they visit, is that whichever OS I have up, dual-booting Win10/Linux Mint 17.3, is that they really didn't care which OS, as long as they could connect to the internet, use their streaming applications, and logon to social media. They never asked " Wow what OS is this ". And the few friends that went through the techie trending phase, didn't stay interested for long. If you chose Linux as your main OS, then that says something about you personally, because lets face it, at some point in your Linux life you will have to do some command line work, and you will be forced to think outside the box, Linux will make you curious or it should, and you will have to input your sudo password in every time you want to modify your system, headache for most. And, if that didn't chase you away, then your just as stupid as me. Stay engaged my friends.
Linux Mint 19.2
Cinnamon 4.2.4
4.15.0-60-generic
Intel Core i3-6100U CPU@ 2.30GHz x 2
Memory 8GB
SSD 250GB
Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Portreve »

I don't know if it is still the case — or at least as much so — but it used to be in the printing and desktop publishing world that you had to be your own tech support. That industry used to be nearly entirely Mac OS-based, and it was very hard, outside of the most major metropolitan areas, to find techs who would work on a Mac, or who could possibly have the wherewithal to troubleshoot graphics or desktop publishing software, fonts, etc.

I mean, basically, if you couldn't fix it, your shop shut down, so you'd darned well better be self-sufficient.

Being someone who'd come at that profession from the perspective of a tech enthusiast, it was never a big deal for me.

I tell this story to make the point that we the minority are the ones driving — or at least connected to those who are — technological frontiers, so if it's not us educating the masses, then who will be doing that job?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

The Old Timer

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by The Old Timer »

pacho37 wrote:
Crewp wrote:I think as people start to learn Linux is not what the rumor mills say it is. They are making the switch. I just loaded LM17.3 Cinnamon on my sister's computer, and she said " How come people don't know about this " she loves it, and has not had a lot of trouble switching from Win 10.
I guess this is one of the main reasons for linux not being as popular as it could (or should be). The general population either doesn't know that linux exists (PC=Windows) and even if they know it does exist then 'it's this super-complicated system that hackers use and you have to do everything in the command line'.
IMO people just don't want to learn a new OS as most people are comfortable using Windows and they aren't budging.

When I slipped in Linux Mint 17.1 on my grandkids computer nobody noticed as it ran all of the games that they play.
They are able to facebook and whatever other crapola and then one day WOW this doesn't look like Windows.
And they are still using it and I'm happy because I don't have to fix anymore Windows problems.

User avatar
Destry
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Destry »

BigEasy wrote:
Destry wrote:
BigEasy wrote:I believe Linux visitors of some sites is near 100%. For example forums.linuxmint.com 8)
I hope not! Should be many windows users showing up to download their copy of Mint and investigate the support!
First of all they will read titles. Titles full of words: "Rescue", "unable", "problem", "abnormal","not had luck", "crashes", "failed","errors",... :roll:
At least you don't see "Blue Screen", "Infected", "Will not shut down", "Product Key No Good", "Updates Take Forever", "Can't Understand Language On Phone Support", "Can't Afford Support Charges", etc...
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Chrząszczyżewoszyce, powiat Łękołody

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by BigEasy »

By the way, I never see errors - not from Windowses, not from stable Linuxes. Still can't guess why.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

The Old Timer

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by The Old Timer »

"Will not shut down".

You may not see it in Linux but it still exists.
I have this problem on one computer with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
No matter what I try or do it will not do a proper shutdown.

User avatar
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by InkKnife »

Portreve wrote:I don't know if it is still the case — or at least as much so — but it used to be in the printing and desktop publishing world that you had to be your own tech support. That industry used to be nearly entirely Mac OS-based, and it was very hard, outside of the most major metropolitan areas, to find techs who would work on a Mac, or who could possibly have the wherewithal to troubleshoot graphics or desktop publishing software, fonts, etc.

I mean, basically, if you couldn't fix it, your shop shut down, so you'd darned well better be self-sufficient.

Being someone who'd come at that profession from the perspective of a tech enthusiast, it was never a big deal for me.

I tell this story to make the point that we the minority are the ones driving — or at least connected to those who are — technological frontiers, so if it's not us educating the masses, then who will be doing that job?
It is still that way. Fortunately there is usually not that much trouble shooting to be done with OSX. Prior "classic" versions of the MacOS were a different story but the old MacOS was damned simple to understand and easy to trouble shoot unless there was an actual hardware issue.
I am in the minority here I guess. I have used Windows of course, but my main OS prior to switching to Mint was the MacOS and I have never worried about Linux's minority status. Linux has healthy numerical growth and enough developers to create a very viable pool of software, that is all a platform needs.
Windows has the mass market and they are welcome to it. I prefer being on a minority platform for a few reasons. Using a minority platform you do not have a giant target on your chest that black hats aim for and it is easier to find answers to tech questions inside the smaller community surrounding a minority platform. Windows is a nightmare to support because of all the garbage sorting you have to do just to find an authoritative answer amongst all the scam windows help sites.
To me Windows has always been the platform of the uninformed and the disinterested. I am not that and none of the people here are either.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Portreve »

InkKnife wrote:It is still that way. Fortunately there is usually not that much trouble shooting to be done with OSX. Prior "classic" versions of the MacOS were a different story but the old MacOS was damned simple to understand and easy to trouble shoot unless there was an actual hardware issue.
There was really never the level of effort of either troubleshooting or fixing in Mac OS that there was in MS-DOS or Windows. The print industry had some interesting issues and troubleshooting, but you're normally talking just that specialized area. With a few utility programs, one could fairly easily handle damaged partitions, disk defragmentation, etc.

What concerns me, even to this day, is the lack of perspective and desire to be knowledgeable out there among the masses. However, as you said, being in the minority does have advantages.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

User avatar
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Chiefahol »

The Old Timer wrote:"Will not shut down".

You may not see it in Linux but it still exists.
I have this problem on one computer with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
No matter what I try or do it will not do a proper shutdown.
I tried Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE 16, all of them had this exact issue.

Why doesn't Ubuntu 16 turn off? I'm still avoiding it because of this. Hopefully Mint18 has some kind of remedy... :?
Donate to your favourite distros!

not_Daniel

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by not_Daniel »

Chiefahol wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:"Will not shut down".

You may not see it in Linux but it still exists.
I have this problem on one computer with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
No matter what I try or do it will not do a proper shutdown.
I tried Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE 16, all of them had this exact issue.

Why doesn't Ubuntu 16 turn off? I'm still avoiding it because of this. Hopefully Mint18 has some kind of remedy... :?
sudo shutdown +0 "الله أكبر" ?

Admoons, prep the Debia farmland! Dem city newcomers are comin' :o

The Old Timer

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by The Old Timer »

not_Daniel wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:"Will not shut down".

You may not see it in Linux but it still exists.
I have this problem on one computer with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
No matter what I try or do it will not do a proper shutdown.
I tried Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE 16, all of them had this exact issue.

Why doesn't Ubuntu 16 turn off? I'm still avoiding it because of this. Hopefully Mint18 has some kind of remedy... :?
sudo shutdown +0 "الله أكبر" ?

Admoons, prep the Debia farmland! Dem city newcomers are comin' :o
Hopefully with the next point release it will be fixed / solved / patched whatever it takes to get it right as that is my only complaint with 16.04.

User avatar
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by InkKnife »

Portreve wrote:
InkKnife wrote:It is still that way. Fortunately there is usually not that much trouble shooting to be done with OSX. Prior "classic" versions of the MacOS were a different story but the old MacOS was damned simple to understand and easy to trouble shoot unless there was an actual hardware issue.
There was really never the level of effort of either troubleshooting or fixing in Mac OS that there was in MS-DOS or Windows. The print industry had some interesting issues and troubleshooting, but you're normally talking just that specialized area. With a few utility programs, one could fairly easily handle damaged partitions, disk defragmentation, etc.

What concerns me, even to this day, is the lack of perspective and desire to be knowledgeable out there among the masses. However, as you said, being in the minority does have advantages.
I think that because I have never really been a Windows user my perspective on the importance of market share is different than people from a Windows background. IMHO a lot of what is bad about running Windows is due to its popularity alone, never mind technical considerations.
All the malware, all the Windows related tech support scams, all the crappy Windows websites, the nightmare that is the act of installing shareware off sites like cnet, download dot com, and all the other "legit" sites that give you software in a crapware infested installers. The reason people are willing to expend so much effort to get a buck out of the Windows user is because there are so damn many of them.
I say let Windows take the heat, let them deal with the pain of being #1.
Mean while, Mac and Linux users get to enjoy a pretty peaceful landscape. The communities are MUCH smaller smf generally more knowledgeable, there are vary few, if any threats out there for the typical desktop user and to top it off, people who choose to use alternative operating systems tend to be more interesting.
Very, very few bad guys are out gunning for you with OSX or Linux. I would honestly start to get worried if Linux suddenly took off. Popularity is a two edged sword.
So I do agree in the abstract that it would be better if many, many more people used Linux, as a practical matter I am glad they don't. There are some things I would like to see come to Linux but I really am quite happy with things as they are right now, too. A big crowd might mess up the nice thing we have going on here. The is nothing wrong with being a niche.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

User avatar
GordB
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by GordB »

Not sure if we will ever get away from using Windows, if you work, Window's is usually the only choice.

In my home over the last two weeks, I have wiped both laptops clean and installed Mint. Last night I cancelled my auto renewal of Office, and am slowly transferring my files from One Drive to my own HD.

Officially grew by 2 in my home. :)
Thanks, Gord
My Blog

User avatar
GordB
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by GordB »

Not sure if we will ever get away from using Windows, if you work, Window's is usually the only choice.

In my home over the last two weeks, I have wiped both laptops clean and installed Mint. Last night I cancelled my auto renewal of Office, and am slowly transferring my files from One Drive to my own HD.

Officially linux grew by 2 in my home. :)
Thanks, Gord
My Blog

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by sikejsudjek »

I'm going to migrate as much as I can to linux. I'm just stuck with windows for recording (some of the plugins and pro sound card I have won't work on linux - or windows 10 for that matter!), and stereoscopic gaming which is tied to nvidia's drivers only supporting windows. Hopefully vulcan and vr might change that in the future.

I'm very unhappy with what windows 10 is doing with mining my data for who knows what - and I'm thinking of stripping it down to only games with all other apps onto Linux on a separate drive. Similarly with recording - remove all other programs. This has the added benefit that as many cpu cycles as possible are devoted to these cpu intensive tasks on windows, rather than all the other crap that usually runs in the background on windows.

Linux is more secure for web browsing, and won't slow down as much as windows. So not a complete migration - but a good compromise.

User avatar
Broken Canoe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Broken Canoe »

I've noticed there's been a gradual push to move away from Microsoft in some circles, and it's entirely their own doing. When you treat your customers with disdain and arrogance it's not surprising, the whole upgrade to Windows 10 debacle is another shameful episode here http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... le-report/.

Windows 8 was the straw the broke the camels back for me, I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with this any more. I finally have the tools I need to work the way I want, without anyone telling me it's their way or the highway. Windows was a deeply frustrating mess as a visually-impaired user. Removing the Start Menu and obfuscating key functions of the OS was the point at which I gave up and fully transitioned over. I won't be going back. Why? Quite frankly I don't trust them any more.

not_Daniel

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by not_Daniel »

Broken Canoe wrote:I've noticed there's been a gradual push to move away from Microsoft in some circles, and it's entirely their own doing. When you treat your customers with disdain and arrogance it's not surprising, the whole upgrade to Windows 10 debacle is another shameful episode here http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... le-report/.

Windows 8 was the straw the broke the camels back for me, I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with this any more. I finally have the tools I need to work the way I want, without anyone telling me it's their way or the highway. Windows was a deeply frustrating mess as a visually-impaired user. Removing the Start Menu and obfuscating key functions of the OS was the point at which I gave up and fully transitioned over. I won't be going back. Why? Quite frankly I don't trust them any more.
I'm glad I avoided this mess as well. There's a secret option in group policy in win7 pro to block the update but dopey MS update still offers the upgrade as an "optional" update. Once I get my own install sorted to a T, I'll have to upgrade my parents box to Mint as well. Since they're on Medicare now, their phone number got leaked to a "senior's list" where Indian scammers call to try to control their windiz box. I tell them to ignore any number that you don't recognize on the caller-ID (an idea unthinkable to older generations) and hang up on callers who have a foreign accent. :lol:

m33
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by m33 »

I hate linux there are bugs and errors everywhere (including mint), but I hate Microsoft spying even more. Linux is the lesser of two evils.
- The shift to Linux is to avoid windows spy activity.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”