Number of Linux users is growing!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Destry »

I own several websites and I have 3rd party stats trackers on them. One of the stats that are recorded is the Operating System of the visitor. For some time (several years) it has been reflecting 2% to 3% visitors using Linux. I just checked them again and I am now seeing 10% to 11% using Linux. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
Chiefahol

Re: Number of Linux users is growing!

Post by Chiefahol »

I wanna thank Windows 8 and Windows 10, couldn't have done it without you. :mrgreen:
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Yay! This is great!
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I believe Linux visitors of some sites is near 100%. For example forums.linuxmint.com 8)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

And this site confirms the rise of Linux on the desktop: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... imeframe=Y

Year over year the percentage of Linux users increased from 1.57% to 1.78% - a 13% increase.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I think as people start to learn Linux is not what the rumor mills say it is. They are making the switch. I just loaded LM17.3 Cinnamon on my sister's computer, and she said " How come people don't know about this " she loves it, and has not had a lot of trouble switching from Win 10.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, anyone running Androidis running a GNU+Linux OS. Therefore, do the math.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

altair4 wrote:And this site confirms the rise of Linux on the desktop: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... imeframe=Y

Year over year the percentage of Linux users increased from 1.57% to 1.78% - a 13% increase.
Linux is doing so well that by 2020 will reach Windows 8's (not 8.1) 2.5% marketshare. :lol:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Lies, Damn Lies, and User-Agents
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Portreve wrote:Well, anyone running Androidis running a GNU+Linux OS. Therefore, do the math.
I don't know about that. Seems like that is claiming everyone that is running OSX is running BSD. Partly true but distorts the way the OS works in the real world.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

z31fanatic wrote:
altair4 wrote:And this site confirms the rise of Linux on the desktop: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... imeframe=Y

Linux is doing so well that by 2020 will reach Windows 8's (not 8.1) 2.5% marketshare. :lol:
Given it's current trajectory the "Year of the Linux desktop" should be around 2046.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

^ If you replace that '0' with a '1', you're on to something. :lol:
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

BigEasy wrote:I believe Linux visitors of some sites is near 100%. For example forums.linuxmint.com 8)
I hope not! Should be many windows users showing up to download their copy of Mint and investigate the support!
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I sometimes wonder if part of the appeal of tablets (can't stand them myself) is that they don't have the headaches of Windows.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Destry wrote:
BigEasy wrote:I believe Linux visitors of some sites is near 100%. For example forums.linuxmint.com 8)
I hope not! Should be many windows users showing up to download their copy of Mint and investigate the support!
First of all they will read titles. Titles full of words: "Rescue", "unable", "problem", "abnormal","not had luck", "crashes", "failed","errors",... :roll:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Crewp wrote:I think as people start to learn Linux is not what the rumor mills say it is. They are making the switch. I just loaded LM17.3 Cinnamon on my sister's computer, and she said " How come people don't know about this " she loves it, and has not had a lot of trouble switching from Win 10.
I guess this is one of the main reasons for linux not being as popular as it could (or should be). The general population either doesn't know that linux exists (PC=Windows) and even if they know it does exist then 'it's this super-complicated system that hackers use and you have to do everything in the command line'.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

altair4 wrote:Year over year the percentage of Linux users increased from 1.57% to 1.78% - a 13% increase.
If you take into account the error bar, I'm sure both values are the same.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Portreve wrote:Well, anyone running Androidis running a GNU+Linux OS. Therefore, do the math.
Android isn't GNU, broadly speaking.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Android runs on a Linux kernel (though obviously modified and tweaked by Google) and, I presume, with the GNU components plus lots of other bits common to such systems. It's not my goal to fight over semantics, though I am curious how, in all of your estimations, the OS Google ships doesn't count as a distro.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Sundowner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sundowner »

Linux as a desktop or laptop OS would become better known and more popular if Linux were used as an alternate choice in schools. If Linux was introduced at the lowest grade computers are made available to students, then the operating system wouldn't seem to frightening to them as it is to most people who have spent most of their computing lives on Windows.

Return to “Chat about Linux”