Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Chat about Linux in general
Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm

what i do with windows..

movies check
chrome/tor check
torrents check
steam check
league of legends check
world of tanks check
ms paint check
notepad check

only thing left to do is sort office and get proper working gaming mouse and keyboard as previous ones crashed system.

and you know the best part? this all fits on a 64GB USB flash drive.

there is a high learning curve and i haven't even scratched the surface........

still got windows on every device but every day i'm using it less and less

once i'm fully converted I will be donating.
Last edited by Instigator on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows?

Post by Jedinovice » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah, I like Mint KDE too.

What's the issue with Office? Libreoffice runs a charm and is Office compatible.

It's weaker than Office in some areas - Spreadsheet is slower (but latest versions are speeding up dramatically) and there's no getting away from the fact that Presentation manager is not as strong as Powerpoint.
But the wordprocessor walks all over Word now and Libreoffice is free, updates come every six months and so you can install the latest rendering to get the latest features.
And no stupid ribbons that eat up half yous screen space! Important with the low spec laptops I have to use.

There are other office suits that can be used as well in Linux, free!

Anything else on your list?
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows?

Post by Instigator » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:41 pm

HI,
Office is just last thing i haven't tried yet.

League of legends is having sound problems it's jumpy and the moment every boot I have to enable to correct HDMI port as default seems to be the wrong port.

Just lots of little fixes but well on its way.

wine seems to have a habit of maxing my CPU too its a i5 3.4ghz as well rare to see it stressed.


Once that list is all running perfect I think that's it. i'm sure at some point ill need to go back to windows to do something then have to learn for Linux.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows?

Post by fraxinus_63 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Jedinovice wrote:What's the issue with Office? Libreoffice runs a charm and is Office compatible.

It's weaker than Office in some areas - Spreadsheet is slower (but latest versions are speeding up dramatically) and there's no getting away from the fact that Presentation manager is not as strong as Powerpoint.
But the wordprocessor walks all over Word now and Libreoffice is free, updates come every six months and so you can install the latest rendering to get the latest features.
And no stupid ribbons that eat up half yous screen space! Important with the low spec laptops I have to use.
LibreOffice gets better and better as the months and years go by. I have recently enabled the PPA to add LibreOffice 5.1 to my install of Mint Maya and I am very impressed - not only with very many small refinements but also with the speed boost!

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I Do.....

Post by Instigator » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 pm

league of legends failed
world of tanks failed

User avatar
phd21
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8722
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by phd21 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:27 pm

HI "Instigator",

I really love Linux Mint KDE too, and I think the other editions of Linux Mint are wonderful as well.

Running an operating system on a USB flash drive stick works fairly well with Linux Mint, but it would work much faster and better using a regular hard drive, or so much better using a SSD drive, especially for any really intense computing, like games (gaming), or video and audio editing, etc...

Perhaps these links below will help with your games...

[How-To]Running WoT under Ubuntu and any Linux (Perfect Way)
Started by Magyar_Ember_Vagyok, Mar 05 2013
http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php? ... rfect-way/

How to run world of tanks on Ubuntu 14.04, Started by Cybertek_Panda, Nov 14 2015 - 04:29
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... untu-1404/

World Of Tanks WOT
http://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/soft/ ... rams/1311/

World Of Tanks
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1592 ... Tanks.html

*** Install League of Legends on Linux Mint / Ubuntu with Wine, September 29, 2015
https://www.pcsteps.com/5213-install-le ... nt-ubuntu/

In-Depth HOW TO: Install League of Legends in Wine on 64bit Linux (100% Functional)
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/bo ... ?t=2957372
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for replying iv tried both LoL ways you listed works perfect even sound but soon as full screen starts sound goes fubar.
I am HDMI from a 660GTX pretty much given up

cpu maxes fast in Linux as well and its a i5 3570k its hardly slow.....

if i test audio in wine it just grunts at me.

the USB drive is faster read speeds sequential and 4k than my HDD and about same write speeds.

I only tried Wot once mainly because i got fed up with the 3 hour installs of LoL failing.......once wot installs if it does there's prob another battle to install mods? but yea would much rather LoL just worked.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Jedinovice » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 am

For your Windows apps you may want to try 'PlayonLinux.'

It helps manage Wine environments. You cab install different versions of wine for different apps. So if you can identify an app that needs a particular rendering of WINE youcan match the two. However, it can eat up disk space a bit to make sure you have room on your system drive.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31 pm

that's what I used each time.
I suppose I could try without it, its just sound I think its a wine problem with my hardware.
Although my wine install on netbook also grunts when testing.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1753
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Portreve » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:41 am

Instigator wrote:what i do with windows..

movies check
chrome/tor check
torrents check
steam check
league of legends check
world of tanks check
ms paint check
notepad check

only thing left to do is sort office and get proper working gaming mouse and keyboard as previous ones crashed system.
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't understand the point of this thread on a GNU+Linux distribution's message board. I mean, if you're driving a benefit from running Windows, then fair enough, but why go around bragging about it here?
I have to leave so I can get home by the time I arrive.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Jedinovice » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:50 am

Portreve wrote:
Instigator wrote:what i do with windows..

movies check
chrome/tor check
torrents check
steam check
league of legends check
world of tanks check
ms paint check
notepad check

only thing left to do is sort office and get proper working gaming mouse and keyboard as previous ones crashed system.
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't understand the point of this thread on a GNU+Linux distribution's message board. I mean, if you're driving a benefit from running Windows, then fair enough, but why go around bragging about it here?
I think you have misunderstood. This is, at least I read it this way, as a list of things Instigator does in Windows and is looking to replicate in Linux so that he can move over completely.
He seems to have cracked everything except, of course, certain games in Wine.

BTW, Instigator, user of Atom laptop that I am, gaming is really out of my league, but are there any options in Steam?
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 am

With a atom I doubt it, my netbook has a c70 similar power and I can't see that doing much. Hell it strugles with 1080p YouTube video's using flash no chance with html5.

Gaming for me is difficult on a laptop even if it had the abilty.


And yes I was looking to convert completely unfortunately I can't fully but 90% Linux now.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Jedinovice » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:32 am

Instigator wrote:With a atom I doubt it, my netbook has a c70 similar power and I can't see that doing much. Hell it strugles with 1080p YouTube video's using flash no chance with html5.

Gaming for me is difficult on a laptop even if it had the abilty.


And yes I was looking to convert completely unfortunately I can't fully but 90% Linux now.
Don't worry! I understand. I ran a c50 last year but the screen started disintergrating (and I got typhoid at the time!) My wife was gracious and bought me this dual core 'Celeron' (it's really an atom) which runs fairly well. But I was video editing on a C50!

Am testing Mint 18 Cinnamon for hardware issues on my single core Atom n455 netbook that I hope I may be able to resurrect.

I don't do online gaming either!

Please tell me you have turned desktop effects OFF in KDE though! They eat up your CPU on minimal hardware.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:42 am

My netbook runs cinnamon at the moment desktop runs full kde with effects and yes i agree 3.8ghz i5....getting maxed out... Poor 1ghz c70 on a netbook wouldn't stand a chance.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Jedinovice » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:17 pm

Instigator wrote:My netbook runs cinnamon at the moment desktop runs full kde with effects and yes i agree 3.8ghz i5....getting maxed out... Poor 1ghz c70 on a netbook wouldn't stand a chance.
You'll be surprised. Don't know the state of Plasma 5 yet but Plasma 4 has been seriously optimised. Turn of desktop effects and KDE can run on almost anything. I don;t use any other DE> But that's mainly because the KDE workflow suits me - especially the keyboard shortcuts!

Depending on factors such as clock speed, available RAM on the machine, KDE could run OK on your c70 - as long as desktop effects are turned off! Shutting Ballo can help too.

Of course, if you are happy with Cinnamon than no worries. Just pointing out options.
I can't do desktop computing. My machines are always on the move!
But my wife TOOK my Atom n455 with 1GB of RAM from me to run KDE on it because you loved it so much!
Somehow she's managed to wangle it that she gets the 4GB 4 core n2920 machine and I get the lowly 2 ore, 2GB n2840... while I am the power user who dies video rendering. How did that happen?
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Women have their ways to get what they want lol

Yea KDE would work on netbook? It's got 4gb ram and i installed a ssd but I'll probably boot from a fast USB. All my installs are on usb at the moment next install ill prob put kde on ssd as I havnt used windows apart from to bench test usbs since I started with Linux. Am going to try cub linux on it aswell as it's only a netbook.

Do you know of any disk benchmarking Linux software? I found one but it wouldnt bench the install usb where as Crystaldiskmark would.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Jedinovice » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Instigator wrote:Women have their ways to get what they want lol

Yea KDE would work on netbook? It's got 4gb ram and i installed a ssd but I'll probably boot from a fast USB. All my installs are on usb at the moment next install ill prob put kde on ssd as I havnt used windows apart from to bench test usbs since I started with Linux. Am going to try cub linux on it aswell as it's only a netbook.

Do you know of any disk benchmarking Linux software? I found one but it wouldnt bench the install usb where as Crystaldiskmark would.
Sure. As long as desktop effects are turned off! Mint 17.0 ran fine on the old single core n455 with 1GB of RAM!
But I recommend dual boot or just run Mint on the netbook and leave Windows on the desktop.

Dunno about disk benchmarking, mind.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Instigator » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:26 pm

At the moment everythings got windows on internal drives and Linux installs on USB.

Desktop will keep windows for games as I only use windows for games now.

I might aswell take it off netbook as it can't run games anyways and even if it could 11inch screen.
Are there any benefits of keeping a windows install on it?

I also have a install of windows on usb so could boot that if needed.

User avatar
Moem
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8665
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Moem » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Instigator wrote:I might aswell take it off netbook as it can't run games anyways and even if it could 11inch screen.
Are there any benefits of keeping a windows install on it?
None in my case. My netbook (Lenovo Ideapad S10) runs Mint and nothing else. It's a sweet little travel machine.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Mint KDE who needs windows? I do....

Post by Jedinovice » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Moem wrote:
Instigator wrote:I might aswell take it off netbook as it can't run games anyways and even if it could 11inch screen.
Are there any benefits of keeping a windows install on it?
None in my case. My netbook (Lenovo Ideapad S10) runs Mint and nothing else. It's a sweet little travel machine.
Quite. If Windows is just for games and the netbook is not gamesworthy then I say install to HD/SSD!

That way you can REALLY play around!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”