Chat about Linux in general
Instigator
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint review

Post by Instigator » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Linux Mint

Positives:
Websites - Chrome/Tor/Firefox/others take your pick loads fast works great.
Torrents - Works great no problems.
Viruses and Malware - Much much less,
Fully customize everything.
Movies and Music - VLC can't beat it.
Office - Decent.
Cost - Free.
Community - for the most part are decent helpful people.
Microsoft not spying on you.
It's a refreshing change from Windows.

Negatives:
Nvidia drivers just not good enough.
Poor Software support.
Poor Hardware support.

Wine the concept is great and it works just not on everything.
Like audio in games during full screen on my tests.

Conclusion
Linux Mint for Laptops/Netbooks/Office desktops? Yes
Linux Mint for Gaming desktops? No

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint review

Post by BigEasy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:49 am

Thank you for infomation!
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:19 am

That's a pretty fair review - although the software is actually very good if you spend some time searching through it. Many of the open source alternatives are better than the proprietary stuff I used on windows. Sometimes they may look a little less polished - but actually the functionality is better adapted to what I want to do, rather than what someone is trying to data mine or sell me !

it doesn't have to be Linux or Windows either. There is another benefit to moving most of my stuff to Linux - I use windows 10 just for gaming programs, but Linux dual boot for everything else. This means I can uninstall all the other windows programs except the games to disable all the crap running in the background and maximise the pc for gaming. Same applies to my windows pc for recording. Both can now be stripped down systems that maximise the cpu cycles rather than getting interrupts for dropbox or some other program.

Plus of course as you said the added benefit of Linux is microsoft can't spy on us. The one thing they got 'right' is that windows doesn't read Linux files ;-)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:29 am

What's wrong with the Nvidia drivers? :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 am

I believe it is nouveau. And now tech support started as expected from the time of thread appearance.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Instigator » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:39 am

sikejsudjek, that's what I plan to do with my windows install basically make it a games console.

Noticed my cpu is under heavy load in Linux to

Yes in many cases you can find alternative software.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Instigator wrote:Linux Mint ...
GNU+Linux as a whole has come a long way over the years. At this point, most of the time the reason one might find the platform itself "not as good as" either Mac OS X or Windows has to do with flagging support for elements of hardware, and that's down to hardware developers being idiots about exposing APIs and such so others can support their hardware. They often claim it's over competitive concerns; I'd argue the decision makers at the companies aren't as technologically smart as they'd like everyone to think they are, or they are basically typical sociopaths-in-management who are more concerned about extraction of profit than anything else.

When it comes to software (in the general sense) this is a mixed bag. I agree with the posters above who've said there's LOTS of great libre-licensed software out there. Where the software is good, it's usually pretty astonishingly awesome. Where it's not, it seems to vary between average to pretty mediocre. There's also a LOT of software designed the way it is "because it scratches my [that is, the developer's] particular itch" and if it is useful for anyone else, then all fine and well.

As for specific hardware issues (like graphics card support, etc.) well... see above.

When it comes to WINE, you should seriously consider ALSO looking at CodeWeavers' Crossover Linux because they pour in greater amounts of research and code development efforts into the WINE project. They're also pretty frank and brutally honest about what works and what doesn't with Crossover.

For me, it's an largely issue of no longer wishing to support commercial, proprietary business entities. For my needs (which are in no way your needs) LM + assorted libre software handles everything I need, from basic desktop publishing, to basic image editing, to email, web browsing, and online chatting, etc.
Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Instigator wrote:Linux Mint

Negatives:
Nvidia drivers just not good enough.
Poor Software support.
Poor Hardware support.
I have used several different Nvidia cards and they all work very well as long as I choose the recommended driver. The generic drivers do not work well for me when they are installed by default.

What do you mean by poor hardware / software support? I have found nothing but the best support with LM. Not only in the LM forum, but with a couple web searches too.
Now I can attest to poor support when I used to have issues with Windows!
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:59 am

Destry wrote: Now I can attest to poor support when I used to have issues with Windows!
Haha! I remember when I was just starting out with Linux I had an issue with UEFI and Secure Boot. Thinking that since Microsoft really pushed that stuff they could help, I contacted them. Let's just say they were friendly but clueless...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Well, that was the most ill informed review I've ever read. The negatives are not even specific to Mint.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Here's my unbiased review of Linux Mint

GREAT OS!
Does everything better than Windows and almost everything better than Mac.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 am

majpooper wrote:Here's my unbiased review of Linux Mint

GREAT OS!
Does everything better than Windows and almost everything better than Mac.
When you write it like that don't you feel the need to explain what Mac does better than LinuxMint? I'm wondering what it could be but have no clue.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:54 am

Agreed! Many of us have never used Mac OS. One of my mates has one and apparently they are great for audio (making music) but then so is Linux (Mint).

My review: Great all-rounder, better performance and stability than Windows on same hardware, easy and intuitive to use and a great choice of desktop environments to name a few of the positives. No negatives I can think of.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

thobin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thobin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 am

I game, only a few games refuse to run on Linux, I don’t need 120FPS in big draw call areas I still get 60FPS. Never ever had a Nvidia driver issue, I have however had many driver installation problems on Windows.

Biggest complainants I have with Mint is I would like a bit better dual monitor features, some games have issues with Linux and dual monitors but that’s just bad programming on the games part usually. And the USB thing, every so often for what ever the reason my USB craps out I can read but I cant write to them. Fortunately the fix is a one line terminal command, but you would think they would have sorted this out by now.

Mint is my only OS, sure I still have Winblows hidden on a different drive, but no more dual boot, I can hit F12 maybe the once every other month I log into Windows.

TA

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:01 am

thobin wrote:And the USB thing, every so often for what ever the reason my USB craps out I can read but I cant write to them. Fortunately the fix is a one line terminal command, but you would think they would have sorted this out by now.
Maybe they already have. Launch Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels. Install the latest kernel within your current series (e.g. 3.19.x) and reboot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:55 pm

When you write it like that don't you feel the need to explain what Mac does better than LinuxMint? I'm wondering what it could be but have no clue.
DeMus - I was trying to witty and I guess pretty much failed. The truth is I know very little, actually nothing, about Mac except what I have heard from others. My impressions are that people like it better than Windows and almost as much as Linux but this is based on a really small sample size however. I do have years and years of experience with Windows however and grew to hate it with a passion because it often made my job harder by giving me problems at the most inopportune times not to mention often having a negative impact on my productivity. I do acknowledge that because I worked for a huge organization that had very stringent rules regarding security, updates, upgrades what software could be used and so on made being an end user a little tougher than having my own private LM rig.

Sorry - folks were having a serious discussion and I was being flip.

Return to “Chat about Linux”