Main Menu Oversized

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwanbis

Main Menu Oversized

Post by kwanbis »

Hello guys. I'm using cinnamon under Ubuntu 16.04 but I'm asking here cause I understand it is made by Linux Mint group.

So, my question is. After restarting ubuntu once, my menu no longer fits on the screen. Basically, I don't see the search field no more.

How can I fix it? Thanks.

This is how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/s9YRX0s.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Main Menu Oversized

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Ubuntu 16.04+Cinnamon != Mint 18 Cinnamon; thread therefore moved from "(Linux Mint) Main Edition - Cinnamon" to "Chat about Linux"
<moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Perhaps a problem of the combination of Ubuntu with Cinnamon. We just had another problem with Nemo in the same combination in the forum. And I wonder about the same, as in the other thread: Why using Ubuntu, if you use the Cinnamon DE? The logical way is in this case Mint. (If I would want - theoretically - Unity, I would also not use Mint, but Ubuntu.)
kwanbis

Post by kwanbis »

Cosmo. wrote:Perhaps a problem of the combination of Ubuntu with Cinnamon. We just had another problem with Nemo in the same combination in the forum. And I wonder about the same, as in the other thread: Why using Ubuntu, if you use the Cinnamon DE? The logical way is in this case Mint. (If I would want - theoretically - Unity, I would also not use Mint, but Ubuntu.)
The strange thing is that during 3 month the menu was perfect. I might install mint, but I like the LTS releases of Ubuntu. I don't want to upgrade every 6 months.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

kwanbis wrote:The strange thing is that during 3 month the menu was perfect.
That is not strange, it is absolutely impossible. Even the beta version of Cinnamon 3 does only exist since about 1 month.

Regarding LTS: All existing versions of Mint are LTS and are built on one of the LTS-versions of Ubuntu. So that is no problem at all.
kwanbis

Post by kwanbis »

Cosmo. wrote:That is not strange, it is absolutely impossible. Even the beta version of Cinnamon 3 does only exist since about 1 month.
Cinnamon 3.0 was released on april 24. You can check it here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/releases
Cosmo. wrote:Regarding LTS: All existing versions of Mint are LTS and are built on one of the LTS-versions of Ubuntu. So that is no problem at all.
That is very good. I understand that most if not all of the software for ubuntu should work in mint?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

kwanbis wrote:Cinnamon 3.0 was released on april 24. You can check it here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/releases
You are right. I mixed Cinnnamon 3 release with Mint 18 release.
kwanbis wrote: I understand that most if not all of the software for ubuntu should work in mint?
Yes.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you've got too many categories and favorites pinned to that menu. don't use cinnamon but shouldn't you have a preference setting for that menu?
kwanbis

Post by kwanbis »

trytip wrote:you've got too many categories and favorites pinned to that menu. don't use cinnamon but shouldn't you have a preference setting for that menu?
That is the way it was. And I had no issues.
kwanbis

Post by kwanbis »

Another strange thing, is that I can no longer see the add/remove favorites.

http://i.imgur.com/J4qlCPE.png
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try changing gtk theme or screen resolution. doesn't the cinnamon menu preference have some sort of width/height adjustment
kwanbis

Post by kwanbis »

trytip wrote:try changing gtk theme or screen resolution. doesn't the cinnamon menu preference have some sort of width/height adjustment
Thanks but the weird thing is that I'm using the default theme and the default (maximum) screen resolution. :shock:

Return to “Chat about Linux”