I installed Devuan 1.0 Beta (netinst)...

Chat about Linux in general
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

I installed Devuan 1.0 Beta (netinst)...

Post by tek_heretik »

(for those who don't know, netinst=Net Installer, a very trimmed down basic installer 'CD' which requires a working internet connection to use it, I burned it to a DVD because that's all I have laying around, I like hard copies in case I like it and may need to re-install in the future)

...on my spinning rust test HDD, once you tame the 'beast', it runs pretty good, there's a few rough edges, but that's to be expected. It feels a lot like a no-frills Debian, but without that certain init, you know the one, wink wink. :wink: :wink:

I didn't even think Devaun would actually see the light of day, nevermind release a beta, I'm so glad they're still 'alive', choice and options are always good.

If you're not familiar with Debian, its quirks, permissions issues and how to tweak a basically bare bones OS, don't waste your time. If you do take the plunge, you'll have a lot of fun like I did (aside from the occasional wanting to punch the screen, lol).

Their default desktop is Xfce, I installed MATE (the now very stale 1.8.1, but that's OK, it's usable and I made it 'pretty' fairly quickly) on purpose (because I love MATE now and wanted to see how the installer would handle it, read on), which was a fun ride (I'm being a little sarcastic here), after it downloaded and "installed' the desktop meta and its child packages, it said an installation step failed! WHAT?! :shock: So I come back to the computer (not going to sit at it with slow wifi and a spinning rust install, it's like watching paint dry, or grass grow) and hit enter to get back to the main installation menu and go through the package/desktop installation step again, I had to deselect 'Devuan desktop' (again) and re-select MATE, fortunately, because the installer recognized all the necessary packages were ALREADY downloaded, it did it's unpack/install/configure routine again SUCESSFULLY without having to re-download or start the whole install process all over again! Thanks for the heart attack Devuan, that was so kind. :wink: :P When I finally got to the desktop, it was like a ghost-town, very few things installed and a lot of default settings, yuck! I quickly remedied that.

FYI, if you do give it a 'spin' (it's not a 'live' disk, it's an installer), enable backports, tons of everyday multimedia apps need the dependencies from backports to install. Not only that, I was given the option to install kernel 4.6.0 from their backports, which I did, to my amazement, it runs really well, so well in fact that my computer idles at the desktop practically in a coma, lol (seriously, this is rare these days with misconfigured/bloated kernels from some distro maintainers). Why am I saying this, because I've tried the 4.6.x kernel branch in other distros, and for some reason, they make my computer work harder for nothing at idle. That's what happens when somebody slaps together a kernel and shoves it up in to their repo, upload first, ask questions later, lol. :shock: :)

It works but it's definitely NOT for noobs, if you want an old-school Debian-like experience (barebones, hands-on tweaking), give it a whirl, it's a BLAST! 8)

Edit/footnote: The only file/package I found (installed) related to that 'other' init is "libsystemd0", apparently CUPS refuses to work without it (I researched it), which is a crying shame. :roll:

Edit 2: The LIVE version of Devuan Xfce (their default desktop) made by Nelum can be found here, happy kickin' the tires. :)
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I installed Devuan 1.0 Beta (netinst)...

Post by tek_heretik »

UPDATE: Do yourself a favour, if you want a hassle-free, stable install, stay away from backports (it's NOT selected by default during the install, if you select the Jessie install 'level', I learned this the hard way, lol, FOUR *practice* installs later :roll: :oops: :D ). Be sure to install any microcode and firmware that applies to your machine, trust me, it makes it run waaaaaaaay better. Also, if grub is not installing to the actual install drive MBR, you can 'force' it by selecting 'manual' and typing in the drive, in my case it was /dev/sde, the 'auto' grub MBR install doesn't fail but I think it gets installed to root instead, requiring a separate grub/boot-loader on the machine to boot in to Devuan (which I fortunately have on my sda MBR). Keep in mind, my install was done by the 'mini CD' netinst in 'Expert' mode (non-GUI, I hate the install GUI, I'm not in frikkin Debian anymore, lol).

Once you get it installed, tweaked, customized and prettied up, it's bloody sah-weeeeeet, FAST and stable. :)

Click the thumbnail to view full size...
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83514.html

Is the " standard system utilities " option listed anywhere to let you know what is being installed?
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

These links are kind of old but they may help...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=45804

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=62180

Sorry I took so long to answer but my internet has been effed up, nothing to do with Linux, just a really lousy ISP. :roll:

Edit: I decided to go with Devuan's Xfce desktop, it's way more fully loaded and configured (proper auto USB stick and optical disk mounting in user accounts) out-of-the-box than the MATE install. I still used the same mini CD netinst disk. Chose the default Devuan desktop, print server and utils, which coincidentally, are all three pre-selected by default. It still did the same install hiccup though, it gets to the end and says it failed, forcing me back to the main menu (without rebooting) to go through the install routine again, fortunately it works the second time around without having to re-download the 1,000+ packages, phew. Although I have come to love MATE, Xfce 4.10 has way more 'toys' and is more configure friendly than old MATE 1.8.x anyway.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Thanks for the links.

Shame there isn't an official minimal version of Mint as i like the idea of only installing what you use.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Is there any option to install Cinnamon or Nemo ?
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

Lucap wrote:Is there any option to install Cinnamon or Nemo ?
Hmm, apparently so...
https://devuan.org/os/packages/task-cinnamon-desktop

Not sure if that's in the normal repo or backports, will boot in to Devuan and find out, stay tuned...
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

I booted in to Devuan and yes, task-cinnamon-desktop IS in the normal (non-backport) Devuan repos. Not sure if it's any good or not, Cinnamon is OK, but I found it to be a little on the buggy side, if I have to choose, I go with MATE.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Thanks for doing that.

Think i'll wait until the Beta version before i try it as i prefer Cinnamon.
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

Lucap wrote:Thanks for doing that.

Think i'll wait until the Beta version before i try it as i prefer Cinnamon.
I'm not sure if you misunderstood, I find Cinnamon a bit buggy on top of any distro. Devuan is Debian Jessie without the systemd kernel barnacle spyware, Devuan was released a year later, after many bug fixes in Debian. Devuan is slim, fast and stable (it's far less complicated and bloated without systemd, more bloat=more possible bugs). The only drawback may be that Cinnamon in Devuan or Debian may not be the most bleeding edge release, it's always been that way with Debian (and now Devuan), the software is slightly aged but stable, it's a trade off. Personally I prefer stable. :)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I misunderstood , thanks for explaining. :)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Wonder if Devuan would make a good base for the Debian version of Mint.
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

Lucap wrote:Wonder if Devuan would make a good base for the Debian version of Mint.
Ha ha, I doubt it, that would mean supporting a systemd free version of Mint as well. The Mint people have already jumped off the systemd cliff, past the point of no return, unless something dramatic happens, like Red Hat pulls their GPL, etc. :wink: :)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

DOH!

I didn't think of that. :)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Lucap wrote:Wonder if Devuan would make a good base for the Debian version of Mint.
It is possible... 8)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It would give an alternative Mint to those that have an issue with Systemd though i wonder how much could be integrated without it.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

tek_heretik wrote:
Ha ha, I doubt it, that would mean supporting a systemd free version of Mint as well. The Mint people have already jumped off the systemd cliff, past the point of no return, unless something dramatic happens, like Red Hat pulls their GPL, etc. :wink: :)
They already *are* supporting a systemd free version of Mint: LMDE Betsy.

That is of course systemd as init. Betsy and Devuan would both have the library files for compatibility, but those are not a serious issue.
At least that I am aware of (no one has griped about them...).
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

millpond wrote:
They already *are* supporting a systemd free version of Mint: LMDE Betsy.

That is of course systemd as init. Betsy and Devuan would both have the library files for compatibility, but those are not a serious issue.
At least that I am aware of (no one has griped about them...).
Good point, and also Mint 13 and 17.x don't have systemd (as the init system anyways).
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
AlexRey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AlexRey »

Refracta OS is a small Devuan desktop running XFCE with a good review on Distrowatch , not sure if it could easily be converted to the Mate or Cinnamon desktop.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

After a year od fence sitting, I took the leap and installed Devuan Jessie x64 (full DVD) on a 320Gb SATA drive.
This system has UEFI turned off.

I used RUFUS to create the USB boot disk from ISO (DVD installs are always problematic here), and told it to select 'UEFI OR BIOS' option. Evdn had it check for bad blocks.

I cannot seem to get it though the format stage.
No LVM.
No encryption.
Sbould be fast.

Progress bar starts at a third and stays there. No disk error messages, only the system evey 20 odd minutes registering my mouse, and tablet USB devices as all the same mouse.

How long IS this setp supposed to take? Geez, the machine is going to be needed shortly, so I will have to abort in about an hour. ....

So far it looks like back to Betsy if it doesnt get through soon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”