I installed Devuan 1.0 Beta (netinst)...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I installed Devuan 1.0 Beta (netinst)...

Post by millpond »

millpond wrote:After a year od fence sitting, I took the leap and installed Devuan Jessie x64 (full DVD) on a 320Gb SATA drive.
This system has UEFI turned off.

I used RUFUS to create the USB boot disk from ISO (DVD installs are always problematic here), and told it to select 'UEFI OR BIOS' option. Evdn had it check for bad blocks.

I cannot seem to get it though the format stage.
No LVM.
No encryption.
Sbould be fast.

Progress bar starts at a third and stays there. No disk error messages, only the system evey 20 odd minutes registering my mouse, and tablet USB devices as all the same mouse.

------------------------------------

OK, after two more failed attempts, and right before shutting down to wipe off the drive, I decided to google an odd message that mkfs gave about - found a DOS file system on the drive (but did not flag it as an error).

Bloody hell, it appears to be a Debian bug, that will freeze an install if it sees a previous version of Grub on the drive.
Yet another reason to hate that freaking script from hell.

Needed to use busybox from a terminal to :
kill -9 the PID of mkfs.ext4
and then run mkfs.ext4 manually, and tell it to continue.
Go back to the install screen and continue.

Its installing now.....

Devuan *should* warn its users about installing over a previously grubbed disk.

As indeed so should Debian and partman!

How long IS this setp supposed to take? Geez, the machine is going to be needed shortly, so I will have to abort in about an hour. ....

So far it looks like back to Betsy if it doesnt get through soon.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

millpond wrote:
millpond wrote:After a year od fence sitting, I took the leap and installed Devuan Jessie x64 (full DVD) on a 320Gb SATA drive.
This system has UEFI turned off.

I used RUFUS to create the USB boot disk from ISO (DVD installs are always problematic here), and told it to select 'UEFI OR BIOS' option. Evdn had it check for bad blocks.

I cannot seem to get it though the format stage.
No LVM.
No encryption.
Sbould be fast.

Progress bar starts at a third and stays there. No disk error messages, only the system evey 20 odd minutes registering my mouse, and tablet USB devices as all the same mouse.

------------------------------------

OK, after two more failed attempts, and right before shutting down to wipe off the drive, I decided to google an odd message that mkfs gave about - found a DOS file system on the drive (but did not flag it as an error).

Bloody hell, it appears to be a Debian bug, that will freeze an install if it sees a previous version of Grub on the drive.
Yet another reason to hate that freaking script from hell.

Needed to use busybox from a terminal to :
kill -9 the PID of mkfs.ext4
and then run mkfs.ext4 manually, and tell it to continue.
Go back to the install screen and continue.

Its installing now.....

Devuan *should* warn its users about installing over a previously grubbed disk.

As indeed so should Debian and partman!

How long IS this setp supposed to take? Geez, the machine is going to be needed shortly, so I will have to abort in about an hour. ....

So far it looks like back to Betsy if it doesnt get through soon.

Got it installed, after some weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Apparently a problem with installing over a drive with grub already on it.

Booted into KDE., looks fine. Power control appears to be working - at least so far.

As usual a Radeon problem with Debian, that does not appear with LMDE.

I wonder what packages from LMDE can be imported into Devuan. I really dont care about the DE, but I do like KDE - or XFCE, both of which are installed here.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It's about to move out of Beta , RC 1.0 available.

:)
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

Ha ha, funny you should mention that. When I moved Devuan from an HDD to an SSD, I fresh installed Beta2, while it has been somewhat OK, it still uses libsystemd0. My only complaint is GUI lag during and after copying or moving large amounts of files all at once that exceed my 16GB of RAM, I'm guessing this is a slow disk cache refresh issue or bug (there have been updates since the problem, if it happens again, I will definitely be switching to antiX), the GUI does get back to 'normal' after the files move is complete, it takes a few minutes but it does recover. Xfce is a bit clumsy in Devuan, especially right clicking with the mouse, but this could be due to my theme choices and use of qt compatibility for qBittorrent, among other apps that require qt. I'm contemplating moving to antiX 16.1 and installing Xfce (meta package and goodies), MX Linux (native default Xfce GUI) seems OK but it live boots with systemd enabled and supposedly installs with systemd disabled (I find this approach strange and impure). I gave antiX a live test run, my machine loved it, and they are far more staunch about keeping systemd completely out. AntiX also has some pretty nifty config tools OOTB, while Devuan tries to stay true to a vanilla Debian install as possible.

Edit: In Devaun, I temporarily enabled their backports to install the 4.9.x series kernel (linux-image-amd64 meta package), the 3.16.x kernel is showing its age, while overall performance did improve somewhat, the Xfce GUI still remains a bit clumsy. I only upgrade packages from backports that will not disrupt the overall stability of the install (like apps that won't ask for system changing dependencies, or ask to remove any system packages), I promptly set the repos back to stable and refresh when I'm done cherry picking.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I liked antiX but the thing that annoyed me was there snapshot tool to convert your HDD install into a live disk. :(

Unlike Refracta Tools It doesn't take a true snapshot and excludes things including drivers unless you piddle about with conf files and then it didn't work correctly.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

Lucap wrote:I liked antiX but the thing that annoyed me was there snapshot tool to convert your HDD install into a live disk. :(

Unlike Refracta Tools It doesn't take a true snapshot and excludes things including drivers unless you piddle about with conf files and then it didn't work correctly.
Oh, I did not know that, thanks for the info. I normally don't bother with making live snapshots, so it's really no biggy for me. I'm more concerned with purity, check out the Devaun 1.0 RC packages list and text search 'systemd' (without the quotes), quite a lot more libs, which frankly, is freaking me out. :shock:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Are they not dummy files so SystemD enabled apps and desktops can still run as they expect to see those files?

Just a guess.......

*EDIT*

I see what you mean , i just searched google and they seem to be part of SystemD so i'm somewhat confused about it's purity myself.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Devuan is work in progress. It's normal if they still have some systemd libraries/connexions. They are working on it. Honestly, I am not sure they will succeed removing it entirely. Maybe the future will prove me wrong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Void Linux offers a fully functional Gnome-Shell 3.24 on Wayland & flatpak, both without systemd (+ a quick look at OpenBSD and Gentoo)

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... functional
Not sure if VoidLinux is any better but they claim to be running Desktops such as Gome 3.24 without SystemD.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Lucap wrote:I liked antiX but the thing that annoyed me was there snapshot tool to convert your HDD install into a live disk. :(

What is a true snapshot? If you look carefully at the code, you ill see that it is modified from ... Refracta.
If you take a snapshot of your desktop with nvidia drivers, create a live usb and then boot on a non-nvidia desktop, will it get you to X if you have not excluded the nvidia driver? Is it really so difficult to add or remove a comment from a file?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stabl ... nce-042017
The Refracta scripts are now included in Devuan, which makes it easy to toast a new live distro from the state of a running one.
The developers of refracta have joined Devuan as lead developers so that is good news as well as the snapshot tool being added.

Shame antiX can't add the tool in its standard form as it's intended to be used.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Lucap wrote:https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stabl ... nce-042017
The Refracta scripts are now included in Devuan, which makes it easy to toast a new live distro from the state of a running one.
The developers of refracta have joined Devuan as lead developers so that is good news as well as the snapshot tool being added.

Shame antiX can't add the tool in its standard form as it's intended to be used.
You haven't answered the questions.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Just tried the latest Devuan RC2 LiveDisk release and apart from it looking like something from the 1990's it worked ok for the small amount of time i used it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lucap wrote:It's about to move out of Beta , RC 1.0 available.

That's good :roll: . You'd have to be NUTS to install a beta release of a Linux distro. I know people who make a living doing linux/unix IT support and not one of them would do something like that unless they had to.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Lucap wrote:It's about to move out of Beta , RC 1.0 available.

That's good :roll: . You'd have to be NUTS to install a beta release of a Linux distro. I know people who make a living doing linux/unix IT support and not one of them would do something like that unless they had to.
So knowing what you're doing and having faith in something equates to being nuts? That's strange, because I had the first beta on an HDD, then installed the second beta to an SSD, I had very little issues, if any. The only reason I'll be moving to antiX is because it's more pure, that and it has some nice custom config tools. All this proves is that proprietary corporate developed init has invaded the Linux world so much, even a bunch of PROFESSIONAL developers are having a hard time getting completely rid of it, that and Debian bent over for it like a crack h**ker in an alley. Because YOU have no clue what you're doing does not make others mentally ill, just smart and brave.

Edit: corrected grammar.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

With so many Applications making themselves SystemD and PulseAudio compatible i have seen people on forums question how practical Devuan and other SystemD free distributions will be in the long run.

Going without applications , Smaller repository and a system full of hacked up software , is it worth the effort for the average Desktop user?
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

Lucap wrote:With so many Applications making themselves SystemD and PulseAudio compatible i have seen people on forums question how practical Devuan and other SystemD free distributions will be in the long run.

Going without applications , Smaller repository and a system full of hacked up software , is it worth the effort for the average Desktop user?
Yep, to me it is, Red Hat's behaviour has a cult like atmosphere similar to Trump's propaganda and falsehoods. Proprietary hand holding, secrecy, spyware, and invasion is exactly why I left Windows seven years ago, I'm not going through that again. I'll keep using Bloettering free Linux as long as I can, when it's no longer possible, I'll move on to something else, like the BSDs.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I've not tried it yet but i've seen VoidLinux mentioned a lot recently for using runit instead of SystemD as another alternative to Devuan as they have built their system from scratch rather than a fork.
Óvári
Level 1
Level 1

How can LMDE be changed from ‘Linux Mint Debian Edition’ to ‘Linux Mint Devuan Edition’?

Post by Óvári »

‘Devuan Jessie 1.0 LTS’ released:
https://devuan.org/

Interesting to watch video entitled ‘Devuan GNU+Linux presented at FSCONS 2016’:
https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/

How can LMDE be changed from ‘Linux Mint Debian Edition’ to ‘Linux Mint Devuan Edition’?

Thank you

Return to “Chat about Linux”