[Solved] Linux as a desktop OS has low acceptance

Chat about Linux in general
deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [Solved] Linux as a desktop OS has low acceptance

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Sir_Douglas wrote:Why should Linux compete with Windows? Too much acceptance could make Linux a virus target. I like Linux partly because it has freedom that results in nice variety.:
Linux a robust os which should have maximum share of the desk top os, Right now it is negligible and users are used to and tied to Micro$oft.They should be free from Microsoft.

Linux system design is quite robust unlike Windows and it is very difficult to write virusws for Linux.

Having too many varieties has too many different packages and different ways of handling the os like RHEL and Debian etc. It causes confusion and many times fakes expertize to find which flavor suits you.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Sir_Douglas wrote:Why should Linux compete with Windows? Too much acceptance could make Linux a virus target. I like Linux partly because it has freedom that results in nice variety. What's the point in escaping monopolistic Microsoft, only to corrupt Linux into something similar? How many Linux users would like me if I said, "Let's all get on the same distro page, just as long as it's mine?" I would not like myself for such a narrow-minded, un-fun attitude. :!:
I completely agree. Linux is in fine shape and has a slow but consistent growth rate. The economics of an open source product is vastly different than that of a commercial product.
Apple and Microsoft have spent billions of dollars promoting their products. Linux does just fine using attraction instead and attraction is free..
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:25 am

InkKnife wrote:Linux is in fine shape and has a slow but consistent growth rate. The economics of an open source product is vastly different than that of a commercial product.
Apple and Microsoft have spent billions of dollars promoting their products. Linux does just fine using attraction instead and attraction is free..
Exactly .. and as for the highlighted bit, where do those billions come from? That's right ... the customers, as a part of the retail price.

There is evidently more awareness of Linux these days and I'm doing my best to help with this. People at my local watering holes see me getting stuff done on the same machine they saw me use last year, only this time without the sluggish response and hangs with resulting impatience, frustration & swearing at the machine which was a regular sight. Instead it's "Crikey that was quick" or "I didn't realize I'd left all that lot running! Still flies, doesn't it" or "Need to hibernate, they are about to chuck us all out. Give it a few seconds ... there, it's powered off!" :mrgreen:

Actions speak louder than words! I just avoid "aggressively" promoting Linux :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:37 pm

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Return to “Chat about Linux”