Linux is dead? Seems pretty alive to me.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux is dead? Seems pretty alive to me.

Post by majpooper »

no one in the real world uses Linux any more
Mentioned this to a Cisco Engineer that also used to work at RED HAT - he just smiled and chuckled but didn't actually say anything. I got the impression he did not think it worth commenting on.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Pjotr wrote:That colleague of yours is funny. Almost all web servers and cloud servers in existence, around the globe, are running Linux. And has he ever heard of Android? :lol:

Only the desktop is still unconquered: that's only at 1 or 2 %. But Linux Mint has a plan. 8)
And Gentoo-based Linux Kernel running Chromebooks are taking over schools :D
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

That's because most, if not all, Cisco routers run a Linux kernel. Your set-top cable box runs Linux. As does your DVR. Pick almost any appliance in your home and if it has any kind of a sophisticated UI it is most likely running Linux. Your feature phone (people still have those? I was using one a few months ago) run BREW. Guess what it's based on? We work on 4 models of safes and 5 models of ATMs. One safe and 2 ATMs run Windows. Sophisticated car stereo? If it's not running CE then it's either Android or a highly massaged Linux clone.

Linus is ALL around you! Too bad your IT guy doesn't know it! ;)

Wish I had become a programmer...:(
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

SNERK! Supposed to say LINUX is all around you, but I guess that means Linus is too. :D

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, thanks guys. Our MIS department spends it days fixing the problems that brain dead employees and elected officials make by downloading the latest viruses, etc. Our darn Barracuda firewall eats about 1/4 of my emails, and blocks lots of sites, but still we manage to get viruses. The last one shut down the email server for a week. I pity those guys most of the time. No one can break sh*t like a bored deputy or elected official.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Some of those Windows tech support people (actually a lot of them, especially self employed ones) don't like Linux because a fair share of their income comes from getting rid of viruses.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Tell your MIS guy he's a fracking retard, and to get someone else on the phone who you can actually trust.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I would not do that, but I will question his opinion.
Portreve wrote:Tell your MIS guy he's a fracking retard, and to get someone else on the phone who you can actually trust.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote:I would not do that, but I will question his opinion.
Same thing really, just a lot more polite :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well yeah, I know that in the workplace, you try to be polite and not do something that will get you fired. I mean, the bottom line is the paycheck, isn't it? Your free will, your knowledge of right and wrong, correct and incorrect, all of it... all held hostage to getting paid and not starving to death, or being turned into a homeless schlub.

Don't ya just hate it? :shock:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Portreve wrote:Well yeah, I know that in the workplace, you try to be polite and not do something that will get you fired. I mean, the bottom line is the paycheck, isn't it? Your free will, your knowledge of right and wrong, correct and incorrect, all of it... all held hostage to getting paid and not starving to death, or being turned into a homeless schlub.

No.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

There are times I wish I could just tell an annoying person on the phone to call someone who cares, or my boss to commit a biologically improbable act of self-impregnation. But since I have one in college and another on the way, I must remain polite. *sigh*
Portreve wrote:Well yeah, I know that in the workplace, you try to be polite and not do something that will get you fired. I mean, the bottom line is the paycheck, isn't it? Your free will, your knowledge of right and wrong, correct and incorrect, all of it... all held hostage to getting paid and not starving to death, or being turned into a homeless schlub.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Having a look at the racks in W H Smith yesterday I was surprised to see more than the usual 2 or 3 Linux magazines .. well over half a dozen, on the middle shelf (at reading height). In fact they dominated the computing section. I had a look through them and there's lots of easy-to-read information; just what the Doctor ordered! The Windows magazines are now on the bottom shelf and there weren't many of those.

One of the Linux magazines has a Cinnamon 17.3 32-bit DVD with it, tempts me to see if I could compile a disk with a choice of DEs & / or 32 and 64 bit versions?

Unfortunately they had only ordered in 6 copies of "Your Cat" and had sold out.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote:Having a look at the racks in W H Smith yesterday
It's funny, the only reason I know about W H Smith is because of a Monty Python comedy sketch. That shows how long they've been around for. I'm glad to know they haven't been supplanted in more recent decades by some international corporation.
I was surprised to see more than the usual 2 or 3 Linux magazines .. well over half a dozen, on the middle shelf (at reading height). In fact they dominated the computing section. I had a look through them and there's lots of easy-to-read information; just what the Doctor ordered! The Windows magazines are now on the bottom shelf and there weren't many of those.

One of the Linux magazines has a Cinnamon 17.3 32-bit DVD with it, tempts me to see if I could compile a disk with a choice of DEs & / or 32 and 64 bit versions?

Unfortunately they had only ordered in 6 copies of "Your Cat" and had sold out.
Of course, you could also (if you haven't already) install LM 18. The differences in general between 17.3 and 18 are negligible until you get under the hood.

Clearly, you should talk to folks on here like xenopeek about these matters, however... one of the big differences between the 32 bit and 64 bit installs is that only the 64 bit one accommodates EFI (the 32 bit one is BIOS only) and that could be a factor vis a vis hardware support.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote:however... one of the big differences between the 32 bit and 64 bit installs is that only the 64 bit one accommodates EFI (the 32 bit one is BIOS only) and that could be a factor vis a vis hardware support.
32-bit can be run - I have done this! - and, presumably, installed on (U)EFI too, as long as you add the necessary files to the /boot/efi/ partition. (Have I got this right? I've had a few drinks!) :D

Currently, this cat is competing for the world's loudest cat-purr and she is making it a bit difficult to complete this post :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote:Currently, this cat is competing for the world's loudest cat-purr and she is making it a bit difficult to complete this post :mrgreen:
So you're saying your feline overlord is tolerating you typing your meows for other humans to read? She must really trust you, or have simply given up. :o :lol:

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

:lol:
It's cat paradise here, they get away with anything! Except trampling on the keyboards, with the odd exception. :roll: I use a lightweight keyboard which is comfortable for use on my lap and easy to relocate whenever I'm about to get pounced on. Helps to keep my Linux installations alive!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

BG405 wrote: :lol:
It's cat paradise here, they get away with anything!
That's purr for the course, I'd say :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

after the 3d time my daughter brought me my grandson's laptop "for cleanup" -- I managed to sell them on a Linux conversion;

that was a year ago and the machine has kept running since..... even with a 14 year old grandson playing games with it
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote::lol:
It's cat paradise here, they get away with anything! Except trampling on the keyboards, with the odd exception. :roll: I use a lightweight keyboard which is comfortable for use on my lap and easy to relocate whenever I'm about to get pounced on. Helps to keep my Linux installations alive!
Well, humans need to be pounced on from time to time, just to keep them in line and out of trouble.

Return to “Chat about Linux”