Linux is dead? Seems pretty alive to me.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux is dead? Seems pretty alive to me.

Post by BG405 »

Moem wrote:That's purr for the course, I'd say :D
:roll: :lol:
Portreve wrote:.. humans need to be pounced on from time to time, just to keep them in line ..
Indeed! They certainly have us well trained. But so loving with it too, so it's worth it :D in fact it's one of the reasons my netbooks see so much use out and about .. free of kitty paws! .. and has the added benefit of promoting Linux Mint to friends there, which hopefully gets mentioned by them in turn.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Cats are pretty cool - I am a dog person but also like cats. As a matter of fact my first dog was a cat. I grew up in the city (Philly) and my parents would not let me have a dog because they felt there was no place for it to run. The idea of walking dogs on a leash or dog parks were an alien concept back then, at least in my working class neighborhood. When I was in High School a relatively young (not a kitten but not full grown either) stray cat was hanging around our back steps so I gave her a saucer of milk. She came back the next day and I fed her some canned tuna. Long story short - my parents discovered I was feeding her so they let me keep her. I named her Selma after a character in MAD magazine. Selma was playful and affectionate but would not do tricks like sit or roll over and would not fetch - but she filled in for the dog I always wanted until I got a real dog much later.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I do wish that Linux was a little "prettier" in terms of folders, graphics, and fonts. As much as I trash Apple and Microsoft, they have done great things with fonts and look and feel (within reason). Fonts are one of my issues, and the standard Linux fonts are just not good looking to me. Linux seems to look like Windows 95/98 did back in the day. Is there some reason that True Type fonts cannot be incorporated?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MurphCID wrote:I do wish that Linux was a little "prettier" in terms of folders, graphics, and fonts. As much as I trash Apple and Microsoft, they have done great things with fonts and look and feel (within reason). Fonts are one of my issues, and the standard Linux fonts are just not good looking to me. Linux seems to look like Windows 95/98 did back in the day. Is there some reason that True Type fonts cannot be incorporated?
Try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t-and-Java
(item 1.8.a, left column)

Need more fonts? This is how to install them:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... downloaded
(item 1, left column)

If you have a Windows partition as well, you can copy the Windows fonts, too. They are located in: C:\Windows\Fonts
You've already paid for those fonts, so why not use them in another operating system as well? :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks!!
Pjotr wrote:
MurphCID wrote:I do wish that Linux was a little "prettier" in terms of folders, graphics, and fonts. As much as I trash Apple and Microsoft, they have done great things with fonts and look and feel (within reason). Fonts are one of my issues, and the standard Linux fonts are just not good looking to me. Linux seems to look like Windows 95/98 did back in the day. Is there some reason that True Type fonts cannot be incorporated?
Try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t-and-Java
(item 1.8.a, left column)

Need more fonts? This is how to install them:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... downloaded
(item 1, left column)

If you have a Windows partition as well, you can copy the Windows fonts, too. They are located in: C:\Windows\Fonts
You've already paid for those fonts, so why not use them in another operating system as well? :mrgreen:
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

Moem wrote:"Linux is now the fastest growing Operating System with IDC stating that Linux market share equates to 40% of the enterprise market (IDC Worldwide and U.S. Server Forecast Update, 2015–2019). Even Microsoft, who once fought everything Linux and Open Source, recently announced that Linux instances are available on its public cloud offering Azure. Open source is becoming the go to platform for application development and the middleware & databases that Next Generation Apps (NGAs) run on."

http://www.enterpriselinuxinsights.com/ ... s-address/
linux only has 2 percent of market shares compared to 90 percent for windows That market share has gone up to almost 4 percent . The user base for windows well exceeds Linux by the numbers only 3.3 percent use Linux and that number is mostly severs and developers. Microsoft is absolutely correct with what he said. Windows 10 by far exceeds any Linux OS. Mint is OK and I have in installed for a multi boot but never use it. If your a developer, coder, your in your heaven, if your not one of those your just a Linux fan boy that refuses to accept the numbers for reality.
windows 10 Linux oct 2016 2.18 %
oct 16 22.59 % aug 2017 3.37
nov 23.72
dec 24.36
jan 17 25.30
Aug 17 27.99
Linux is only 1.19 % gain in market desktop shares in one year time, compaired to windows over 90 percent desktop shareshttps://1drv.ms/i/s!AtzvchY551amgaYVE-I8fmH4f5BRXw
Last edited by gomerpile on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Your numbers may well be right for desktop OS share, but not for total share or server share. Outside the desktop, Linux rules supreme.
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

MintBean wrote:Your numbers may well be right for desktop OS share, but not for total share or server share. Outside the desktop, Linux rules supreme.
your right the server and developers is 40 percent. I did mention if your a sever developer, coder linxu is for U. I updated my mint and was surprised to see mouse settings and configuring UI nice
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

So to break this down, websites using Linux for servers 36.9 percent for Linux, and 33.6 % for windows,
If we go here to discover the trends,
https://w3techs.com/technologies/compar ... os-windows
No matter how we look at this windows OS still matches Linux in business and development. In most case exceeds Linux in every area of usage.
I do like Linux mint, finally it has a file allocation structure which will improve its users. I'm sure of that.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

gomerpile wrote:
http://www.enterpriselinuxinsights.com/ ... s-address/]linux only has 2 percent of market shares compared to 90 percent for windows That market share has gone up to almost 4 percent . The user base for windows well exceeds Linux by the numbers only 3.3 percent use Linux and that number is mostly severs and developers. Microsoft is absolutely correct with what he said. Windows 10 by far exceeds any Linux OS. Mint is OK and I have in installed for a multi boot but never use it. If your a developer, coder, your in your heaven, if your not one of those your just a Linux fan boy that refuses to accept the numbers for reality.
If you have Mint in dual-boot "but never use it" why do you still keep it??? It just eats the space you could have allocated to your precious Windows 10. Precious, because your post certainly stinks of m$ Windows fanboy/bot. And if you don't use it (Linux Mint), what business do you have in this forum apart from passing arbitrary opinions about what works for whom and juggling with empty market-share numbers important only to Microsoft management and stock holders???
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

gomerpile wrote:Mint is OK and I have in installed for a multi boot but never use it. If your a developer, coder, your in your heaven, if your not one of those your just a Linux fan boy that refuses to accept the numbers for reality.
Why are those the only two options? I like Linux because it works well for my needs. As long as it continues to do that, market share doesn't have any impact on my decision to use Linux.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Fred Barclay wrote: I like Linux because it works well for my needs. As long as it continues to do that, market share doesn't have any impact on my decision to use Linux.
Yup, I'm that kind of user too. I use what works for me. *high-fives Fred Barclay*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
revian

Post by revian »

Fred Barclay wrote:I like Linux because it works well for my needs. As long as it continues to do that, market share doesn't have any impact on my decision to use Linux.
Exactly! I use what works, I couldn't care less about market share.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

^ :mrgreen:

Very easy to miss the year. I had to look again! Thought it had been only 12 days ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

Fred Barclay wrote:
gomerpile wrote:Mint is OK and I have in installed for a multi boot but never use it. If your a developer, coder, your in your heaven, if your not one of those your just a Linux fan boy that refuses to accept the numbers for reality.
Why are those the only two options? I like Linux because it works well for my needs. As long as it continues to do that, market share doesn't have any impact on my decision to use Linux.
Use edlin command for this script, linx is about the same. Most likely many have know Idea what that is. :lol:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

gomerpile wrote:
Moem wrote:"Linux is now the fastest growing Operating System with IDC stating that Linux market share equates to 40% of the enterprise market (IDC Worldwide and U.S. Server Forecast Update, 2015–2019). Even Microsoft, who once fought everything Linux and Open Source, recently announced that Linux instances are available on its public cloud offering Azure. Open source is becoming the go to platform for application development and the middleware & databases that Next Generation Apps (NGAs) run on."

http://www.enterpriselinuxinsights.com/ ... s-address/
linux only has 2 percent of market shares compared to 90 percent for windows That market share has gone up to almost 4 percent . The user base for windows well exceeds Linux by the numbers only 3.3 percent use Linux and that number is mostly severs and developers. Microsoft is absolutely correct with what he said. Windows 10 by far exceeds any Linux OS. Mint is OK and I have in installed for a multi boot but never use it. If your a developer, coder, your in your heaven, if your not one of those your just a Linux fan boy that refuses to accept the numbers for reality.
windows 10 Linux oct 2016 2.18 %
oct 16 22.59 % aug 2017 3.37
nov 23.72
dec 24.36
jan 17 25.30
Aug 17 27.99
Linux is only 1.19 % gain in market desktop shares in one year time, compaired to windows over 90 percent desktop shareshttps://1drv.ms/i/s!AtzvchY551amgaYVE-I8fmH4f5BRXw
Why should I "accept numbers"? I don't give a HOOT about numbers! I'm NOT a programmer, although I am a tech, and got sick of Windows getting dumber and dumber with no version available for people who actually know how to use a computer. I also got fed up with ads, snooping, and adding features to software making older versions self-extinct.

I have plenty of Photo software, video software, office software and other packages to make me more than happy. I don't have Bill Gates hanging over my shoulder. If I decide Mint isn't cutting it I buy a cheap hard drive and load Arch or another distribution on it. I'm not in Mint's pocket, although it is kind of a comfortable place to be.

Just because you're big doesn't mean you are good. Look at Vista and Windows 8. Windows 8 soured me on Microsoft so badly I never tired 10. Caja doesn't have an advertising feature. Mint doesn't ask, "Would you like to look on Facebook?" Windows is more and more becoming an operating system for people that have no idea what they could do with a computer otherwise. Maybe if they came out with a version that didn't treat me like a moron I might buy back in.

Now, if I could just get Canon to START MAKING DRIVERS AGAIN! I might not ever boot Windows again.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Still alive. Linux Mint and Linux does not seem dead yet. Not even terribly sick even, so perhaps it was a minor cold?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:31 pm Still alive. Linux Mint and Linux does not seem dead yet. Not even terribly sick even, so perhaps it was a minor cold?
Just update to 19(Beta)

Living the dream!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 pm I called our MIS guys today to see if they could help me with something on my MInt installation, and spoke with the guy who runs our mailserver and network. I asked him about linux and helping me configure something, and he told me that no one in the real world uses Linux any more except for Supercomputers, and heavy league coders working for Microsoft. Everyone else uses Microsoft products for the server farms, and email servers is what I got told. Now I might have a small complex in regards to a new Linux adopter but I thought that there were more Linux users out there doing lots of things. Is Linux really dead or dying, and Microsoft server software taking its place as the new standard? After all these years of trying to get a Linux distro to install and just work, I am a little apprehensive.
Q: did ms pay him to spout all that...

A quick Google search will indicate how many distros are around and how many of them are live.. also, a check of boards like these will indicate that linux is actually growing..

A fun fact: linux is the most heavily used os to date.. android is in the lead and android is built on top of a linux machine..

You should have blown a raspberry at him. Lol :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”