Why did you switch

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shabby

Re: Why did you switch

Post by Shabby »

Rock Ingersol wrote:So the day finally came when it was time to take a look at installing Linux and I was surprised to learn that my installation disk was allowing me to boot into Linux. Not only that but everything seemed to work fine without having to install anything. The actual install of Linux was the simplest and fastest install of any OS I have ever tried.Also there was no more hunting around for motherboard drivers and then days of updating Windows.
Plus the fact that continuous reboots,virus/malware scans and defrags are no longer needed.
Mint boots up quicker than my old Win XP ever did (even when new).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Rock Ingersol wrote:Linux has changed. Perhaps it is time to consider changing the mascot from a penguin to the killer penguin? Still cute and adorable but it has some teeth.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Rock Ingersol wrote:Linux has changed. Perhaps it is time to consider changing the mascot from a penguin to the killer penguin? Still cute and adorable but it has some teeth.
“Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100 mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.”
- Linus Torvalds

:mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Shabby wrote:Plus the fact that continuous reboots,virus/malware scans and defrags are no longer needed.
Just memories now .. and it's surprising how fast they will fade! :mrgreen:
Shabby wrote:Mint boots up quicker than my old Win XP ever did (even when new).
Plus the hibernate time. As far as I recall, it wasn't too bad with xp but with Win7 it often took an age, especially when the bar was about to close, often refusing to STAY "hibernated" resulting in me having to carry the machine home otherwise it would cook itself in my backpack .. not ideal.

The wake-up problem always happened with a critical battery, thus defeating a primary purpose of "hibernate" in Windows 7.

Linux Mint? .. from clicking "Hibernate" to the power going off usually under 15 seconds. Resume doesn't take long either, maybe a couple of minutes with a lot of open programs inc. Firefox with dozens of tabs and that's with 2GB RAM on an Atom N570.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Rock Ingersol

Post by Rock Ingersol »

Some very good points and I haven't seen that killer penguin before but here are a couple more that I always enjoyed:

http://i.imgur.com/5Z4Z5m5.jpg

http://pre02.deviantart.net/5f71/th/pre ... 63m71y.jpg

They are too large to be inserted as an image. I forgot to add that I've never seen that quote from Linus before but being a Linux noob that shouldn't be much of a surprise. Still I would have to agree with him in that your view would change when being charged by an angry penguin.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moem wrote:
BWAHAHAHA!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
OMGLOLWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ain't right in the head, Moem. But dang, girl... I like your style!

(I'm just as warped as you, so it's all good...)
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
treehouse

Post by treehouse »

Just thought I'd pop back on here. I wrote a while back about being disappointed with Linux for a few reasons, mainly that the choice of software is pretty limited. As it happens, I had to switch back to Windows for a contract I had - at least, that was the most sensible solution - I had to use M$ Word and someone gave me a Win7 computer with the Starter 2010 freeware version on. What a bloody nightmare! As so many of you have said, you soon forget the godawful hassle of Windows. Starting this machine up again, I now realise I've forgotten what it's like to boot up in under a minute, never have virus issues, have all the software updates taken care of automatically (after you've set it up a bit) and, most of all, just have the whole thing run fast on an older machine without much RAM, because someone else (M$) isn't repeatedly poking around in the OS trying to update it to Windows 10 and all the other Scheduled Tasks it springs on you at the worst times. I've got in to the habit of waking it up and doing a bunch of other jobs first, while the disk's on 100% read-write. Maybe there's a problem, but I'm damned if I can find out what it is, since it's just a load of inscrutable syscfg processes. I installed a GWX monitor and blocker program in case they start that forced upgrade bull again.

To be honest, I am going to stick with it as my main PC even though the contract is over, because of the other main benefit to me - I'm writing applications (mostly using script-like languages such as AutoHotkey), and it's taken me a fair while to get to grips with the Windows API (and decades of using its directory structure and other methods), and it would be another hurdle to write for Linux instead. But I've spent literally days trying to solve problems - mainly the scheduled tasks taking over the memory and disk access, sometimes for an hour or more, with my attempted foreground work unacceptably slow or frozen solid. I've cleared unused programs and data, switched from M$ Security Essentials to a nice lightweight (bitdefender free), tweaked various scheduled task trigger settings, reduced other memory drains like bloatware and window decoration, put updates on manual, tweaked virtual RAM, etc., and months later it's starting to behave reasonably well! Admittedly, it's only got 2GB physical RAM.

I had a vague hope that I'd learn more about Linux over time with an eye to writing programs for it as well, or instead, but with so many other things on my todo list, I probably won't.
treehouse

Post by treehouse »

And of course, it had to happen - three weeks later - Windows will no longer boot up on that machine! Dumb-ass didn't back-up on another drive. To be fair, I haven't had a fatal crash like this since probably about 2004, so got a bit blase about backups. Doesn't matter what I do - Safe Mode, Repair, Last Known Good Condition...just sits there saying it's booting up until a blue screen and repeats. I know, wrong forum to get help on Windows!

What I need now is a dual install of Linux alongside the defunct Windows 7, with the ability to hack into my documents there to copy them over. Too much to ask?...I know, wrong forum to ask... :mrgreen:

This is probably the last straw. I was wrong. Windows stinks.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Boot up Linux Mint with LIVE flash stick or DVD. Recover your files (you may want a 2nd flash stick or USB HD). Here's another good argument for Linux. I know of no way to boot a live Windows session but I suppose you could still make such a media (with a working system that is).
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I can't say I've "switched" because I have to use Windows (10) at work and I need it for TurboTax. I starting looking into Linux flavors starting with Windows 8. I felt that Microsoft really screwed around and made me feel I was under their thumb. I finally settled on Mint because it's easy, powerful, and does everything I need. Plus, I feel I have more control over what happens to the OS.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Moem wrote:
:lol: WOW that's one mean looking tux.
I am in the middle of creating a war like scene with flags wagging in the wind (war banners with tux on them) for mdm, maybe I'll add a mean looking tux in there somewhere as well, it's just good of an idea not to now :lol:

Just love this one
Seff

Post by Seff »

I quit Windows because I hated the thought of being constantly flooded with updates, not knowing what they were, and living under the watchful eye of Cortana. (She's a video-game character; wake up, Mr. Microsoft.) I hated logging in and seeing that "search Windows and the Web" box. I just generally disliked Windows 10.

I'd say the biggest hurdle is going from a "point-and-click" user to a command-line user. That, and the (to me) bewildering number of methods for installing software. ;)

Sure, I'd like to use Win. for gaming, but- this makes my tail wag- the developers of WolfQuest are thinking about creating a Linux version. If that happens I'll be quite happy. Who would stay shackled to the company just to play Skyrim, I ask you?
RedZenit

Post by RedZenit »

Well i got baited of the "Linux is safer and faster" saying and i just wanted to test it out.
after Ubuntu and Debian i also tested out Kali Linux just to play around in the VM with the pentesting and so on.
İ always see Linux compared to Mac and Windows like a highly complex machinery.. it won't work if you don't study it properly but once you get the hang of it you can do anything with it

Edit: Also i switched back to Linux again because Windows 10 gives now Ads on the Explorer for OneDrive which i find ridiculous
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I know I've posted in this thread before, but recently I was reminded of one of the initial triggers for switching .. apart from my brief experience with Win8.1 & Win10 on a tablet, which, when my experiments borked it, my initial attempts to fix actually brought me to Linux Mint in the first place.
This is in addition to all the other problems:

Driver issues, a.k.a. not being able to use my old peripherals, support for some of which was being deliberately removed in Win10, with Win7 approaching EOL. Even 7 wouldn't work properly with some devices. Last time I'd used my Acer netbook on Win7 I'd plugged my scanner in, had a BSOD and the OS was unbootable thereafter (and beyond repair). The scanner was temperamental at best on Win7 but this was the last straw for that installation.

Having seen Mint running on my tablet I then planned to set the Acer up as a dual-boot but first, I retrieved the old Dell to experiment with. After a month or so of computing pleasure with Mint and having installed on my Toshiba NB305 with excellent results (Cinnamon, too - on a single core Atom with 1GB RAM!) I abandoned the dual-boot plans and installed LM 17.3 KDE as the only OS on the Acer. That ended my thoughts of dual-booting with Win7. :mrgreen: The rest, as they say, is history.

BTW The scanner works flawlessly now!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Seff

Post by Seff »

Just learned another reason to switch: Windows 10 doesn't let me run executables in the Downloads folder. Thanks for (not) telling me, MS.
Last edited by Seff on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Seff wrote:Just learned another reason to switch: Windows 10 doesn't let you run executables in the Downloads folder. Thanks for (not) telling me, MS.
I don't have that problem and I have Windows 10.
Seff

Post by Seff »

That's weird. I tried installing a couple of apps from there and FEZ would only work after I moved it to C: drive.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Seff wrote:Just learned another reason to switch: Windows 10 doesn't let you run executables in the Downloads folder.
With the risk of drive-by downloads, coupled with the inherent security holes in that operating system, I actually think this is a good idea.
Self wrote:Thanks for (not) telling me, MS.
That is a major issue with MS. They don't readily volunteer any info about what is going on, especially when it comes to updates. That's precisely why programs such as "Never10" exist. A progress bar is as much as they want you to see.
JerryF wrote:I don't have that problem and I have Windows 10.
I will never have that problem, because I never intend to use Windows 10 ever again :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux”