Mint Security

Chat about Linux in general
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Mint Security

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, I know that this has probably been beaten to death, but I have come across multiple web pages on the issues surrounding Mint Linux and it being an insecure version of Linux compared to Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, etc. What is the truth on this matter? I was asked today by a buddy at work to install Mint on his old HP laptop. See here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why ... r-problem/ and here: http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/04/09/linux- ... ays-later/ and here: http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/04/09/linux- ... ays-later/ and here: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... sarah.html

Sorry if I have opened an old wound.
MintBean

Re: Mint Security

Post by MintBean »

I won't go into the ins-and-outs of Mint's update policies, but I will say that just about any sizeable distro has had some kind of hack on it's website at some stage. Ubuntu, for example has had one more recently than Mint. In any event, team Mint learned some lessons and has beefed up security considerably in the aftermath of the incident.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks, I was not being trying to imply anything untoward. Being hacked and replacing a iso with malware is bad. But I am glad that the Linux Mint admins fixed the issues. Bloody hackers are ruining the net.
jepo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jepo »

Sorry I don't have time (and tbh also not the motivation) to read through those links right now.
Compared to other Distros Mint is so-so.

The operating core itself:
As long as you keep your kernel up-to-date, it's about as secure as any other distro which doesn't ship a Linux kernel with additional hardening. Unfortunately Mint doesn't make sure that all their users keep their kernel up-to-date which is sort of bad practice but at the end of the day it's up to the user, life is what you make it. Mint ships with glibc as its C standard library. If security is an absolute #1 priority, there are better possibilities but it's used by a majority of distros.

Mint doesn't ship with a mandatory access control system by default which is a minus but apparmor is in the repos and can be used.

Packages and ISOs are signed. Mint doesn't have an own CVE tracker which is a bit unfortunate.
Monitoring Ubuntu's can give you an approximate idea but isn't a full replacement.

Used compile flags are identical to Ubuntu's but looking at security not as strict as Fedora's for example.

For information about LTS, look at Ubuntu. It's noteworthy that "LTS" doesn't apply to all packages.

There is some room for improvement but it's also not apocalyptical.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

hey guess what OP those links you posted are crawling with 10+ trackers so using them as a source of info you just been manipulated in revealing your cookies if you don't have some sort of privacy measures in order. anything and everything can be exploited and i wouldn't put any bother into what some clickbait has to say. these mass hysterical pc news are just a honeypot for the unsuspected passer by. learn the use of a hosts file http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ and how to implement them into the ipv6 and the 0.0.0.0 domains which is your first line of defense

if malhackers wanted to they could just as easily hack a mac or windows iso.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote:Being hacked and replacing a iso with malware is bad.
It is. But it's quite a separate thing from anyone's Mint install being cracked. Please keep that difference in mind. The term 'Mint security' is very vague; no one's already installed Mint was cracked in anyway.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

MurphCID wrote:Ok, I know that this has probably been beaten to death,
Pretty much so. :mrgreen:

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Update Manager in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

TL;DNR:
So all in all: for a desktop user, is Mint less secure than Ubuntu, which doesn't withhold any updates? Yes. By much? No.

Is Mint more stable than Ubuntu? Yes. By much? That depends on your hardware combination.

The price Mint pays for its extra stability, in the form of a small decrease in practical security, is therefore pretty low. It's a balanced choice that I think is reasonable. For beginners and for system administrators, Mint's way is a tremendous advantage.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

MurphCID wrote:Being hacked and replacing a iso with malware is bad.
The latest hack was this summer for Ubuntu and its forum. So what? Does it make Ubuntu insecure?
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I have been using Linux since December 2003 and only one security issue.
Got a pop up that might data was blocked and to send money to some site. Cleared History and all gone. Found someone here who had the same issue.
I usually surf the net and clear ALL data in Edit/Preferences quite regularly. Set up FF to do that when I close FF.
Never use Third Party cookies. Use pop up and ad aware blockers.
Stay logged into a site only as long as necessary, even here.
Switched from Ubuntu when Mint 6 came out.
Two laptops with 18.0 64 bit, Cinnamon and a new Inspiron with W10 for iTunes and iPhone and iPad.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks a good read.
Pjotr wrote:
MurphCID wrote:Ok, I know that this has probably been beaten to death,
Pretty much so. :mrgreen:

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Update Manager in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

TL;DNR:
So all in all: for a desktop user, is Mint less secure than Ubuntu, which doesn't withhold any updates? Yes. By much? No.

Is Mint more stable than Ubuntu? Yes. By much? That depends on your hardware combination.

The price Mint pays for its extra stability, in the form of a small decrease in practical security, is therefore pretty low. It's a balanced choice that I think is reasonable. For beginners and for system administrators, Mint's way is a tremendous advantage.

Return to “Chat about Linux”