IMHO- The Single Biggest Issue With Linux...

Chat about Linux in general
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

IMHO- The Single Biggest Issue With Linux...

Post by Pat D »

...is power users who are full of themselves. I haven’t encountered any here on the Mint forums yet, (please stay that way) but you all know who I mean – I call them “Leet Haxors”, and hope they find the term insulting.

These are the people who drive most new users away from Linux because of their attitude:
-when someone posts a question, the first thing these people do is check if it’s been answered before, (which is reasonable) but then they harass you over it. They never ask if you found those other posts helpful or if they worked.
-they then ask for a bunch of system info, which, again, could be reasonable but is often not at all pertinent, and hassle you for not posting it. Remember, we’re “newbies”, and probably don’t know enough yet to keep them happy anyway.
-they are NEVER the ones who actually come up with something helpful, they only want to point out the poster’s failings and show how smart/cool they are.

What a great way to teach people about this OS!

So I propose a “Leet Haxor Watch” where anybody on the forums who acts like this kind of jerk is called on it. And maybe asked to go back to using Ubuntu (lol.) where they’ll feel right at home. If we start pulling people up for this, maybe future newbies won’t be chased away and Linux will grow to more than 2% market share.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: IMHO- The Single Biggest Issue With Linux...

Post by Moem »

Those aren't things you'll need to worry about to much on the Mint forums. And if you do see someone being condescending or nasty, I welcome you to give a holler to one of the mods. We don't like bullies any more than you do!

Since there is no question in this post, and it's not about Mint but it's certainly a thing people may want to talk about, I'm moving this to 'Chat about Linux'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

This proposal has been asked before! How dare you give it again!! Don't you know how to Google? It's only the most popular search engine! :P

On a more serious note...
I understand your frustration (I've experienced it a few times, though never on these forums). We're all pretty nice around here and the mods do a good job of cleaning up when necessary.
Pat D wrote:So I propose a “Leet Haxor Watch” where anybody on the forums who acts like this kind of jerk is called on it.
This I will disagree with. Of course if this occurs I'd recommend contacting a moderator.
But we the plebeians aren't mods, and all we would do by this is further incite the situation (which is probably exactly what the nastier bloke wants). Probably the most effective course of action for us would be to just ignore the chap.

The mods, though, can do all sorts of useful things like locking threads and banning users. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Pat D wrote:I haven’t encountered any here on the Mint forums yet
Pat D wrote:Remember, we’re “newbies”, and probably don’t know enough yet to keep them happy anyway.
Pat D wrote:And maybe asked to go back to using Ubuntu (lol.) where they’ll feel right at home.
I made translation: "I'm such a big newbie, so I do not understand what forum is better to complain about Ubuntu users. Seems Mint forum is safe for it. So I don't want go back to Ubuntu myself first" :mrgreen:
Correct?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

I understand your frustration, I think most forum users have had that happen to them. But try to remember, that every bushel of apples always have a few bad ones in it.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Yeah, I've seen a few of those “Leet Haxors" here, too. But not very often. Most of the time people here are pretty helpful. And people can have a bad day, too. There's one forums member who is extremely knowledgeable and has helped out many others with their questions, but I have seen him be rude a couple of times. Like I said, probably just a bad day. I try to ignore it if I get a Leet Haxor response to a post.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Any OS is not only a collection of bits and bytes. Also support and communication do count. The dev team of Mint does its very best about the first part, the regular helpers in the forum do their very best on the second part. The world is not perfect and also Mint is not, but all here try to get as close as possible.
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

I have nothing but good words for the mods of this forum. Sitting here at home I only have my computers, my OS's and my methods to worry about. When you stop and think about it, questions posted on this forum represent many different machine configurations, many different desktops, many different versions and many different methods. The mods can not read minds (can they?) They only ask for information because they need it to troubleshoot remote problems.

If I could have my way, I would invite the mods into my home so they could troubleshoot my problems first hand. And then enjoy a cold brew or two afterwords. Do y'all like gumbo?

In the past two and a half years I have made it a daily habit to read through all of the new posts on this forum. I have yet to see any mod "look down" on folks looking for answers. Yes it does help to have great software, but the support team makes it GOLD!

Cheers!

Jim
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Fred Barclay wrote:We're all pretty nice around here
Yeah, as long as one tows the party line. :P
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

:D
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:Yeah, as long as one tows the party line. :P
Well, you know, when Windows salesmen come around... :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Jim Hauser wrote:Do y'all like gumbo?
I do - when is supper? :P
- Albert Einstein
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

Fred Barclay wrote:
When the work gets done...
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Jim Hauser wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:
When the work gets done...
That is only true if your family does not differentiate between Dinner Time and "It's Ready" Time. With my kin, if there is a pot of gumbo or red beans on the stove "It's Ready" is when the rice is done. Dinner time may delayed for the second batch of rice to cook.

To keep on topic, I have seen more hostility over gumbo than I have seen in any Linux forum. I had two aunts who argued over how to make a roux. At one time discussing cornbread recipes was forbidden in my family.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Fred Barclay wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:Yeah, as long as one tows the party line. :P
Well, you know, when Windows salesmen come around... :lol:
All you did was prove my point. :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic: I know. :P
- Albert Einstein
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

It is not as bad as it once was. Back in 2003 when I switched to Linux, Linux users expected Windows converts to jump through all the hoops like they did. Pay your dues.

I realized I had to change when I got an iPhone and iPad. Times were changing and Linux not able to keep up.
Appreciate all the Linux people have done but dual booting, much, much harder now. Just look at the Mint forums about Mint 18. Users need a second Pc for questions when their Linux install fails.
Tired of jumping through hoops.
Now with W10 Pc and UEFI, things really different. Need one Pc for W10, iTunes and one for Mint.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I would normally just use Google first when looking for solutions. It's a bit annoying when the first response to the question is another question like did you do this or that? I mean I usually don't expect the issue I'm having to be unique considering there are billions of users around the globe, especially for Ubuntu-based distros. If you don't know the answer or haven't encountered it, then stay away from the thread and let others who have answer it. If after a while I still see no solution, then I make my own thread and accept whatever answer I will get.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I got lucky.

I started using Linux near the end of 1999...then again near the end of 2001 (Windows 2000 was a slick OS!)...then again around 2003...then again around 2005 and finally learned enough to make it stick.

Back then forums weren't all that much available, and alt.os.linux, etc was where to ask questions (old timers know what I mean! ;) )

I got into one Linux group and after posing a few questions I was pretty much welcomed by most. Why? Because I wasn't a programmer! They were surprised to see a non-programmer in a Linux group, which meant the "news" was starting to get out and the Unwashed were taking notice! Even asking stupid questions didn't get me flamed much, except by a minority of the group's regulars. And they were very few.

I was, however, and operating system 'guru', at least where DOS and Windows up to Win2000 were concerned. I got into Linux for 2 reasons: it was a "new" OS, and it offered software for free or a stipend price that the Windows version demanded up to HUNDREDS of dollars! Adobe and a few others were quite liberal with Linux users while tucking it to the Microsoft world! :D
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by soundchaser59 »

Pat D wrote:...is power users who are full of themselves. I haven’t encountered any here on the Mint forums yet, (please stay that way) but you all know who I mean – I call them “Leet Haxors”, and hope they find the term insulting.

These are the people who drive most new users away from Linux because of their attitude:
-when someone posts a question, the first thing these people do is check if it’s been answered before, (which is reasonable) but then they harass you over it. They never ask if you found those other posts helpful or if they worked.
-they then ask for a bunch of system info, which, again, could be reasonable but is often not at all pertinent, and hassle you for not posting it. Remember, we’re “newbies”, and probably don’t know enough yet to keep them happy anyway.
-they are NEVER the ones who actually come up with something helpful, they only want to point out the poster’s failings and show how smart/cool they are.

What a great way to teach people about this OS!

So I propose a “Leet Haxor Watch” where anybody on the forums who acts like this kind of jerk is called on it. And maybe asked to go back to using Ubuntu (lol.) where they’ll feel right at home. If we start pulling people up for this, maybe future newbies won’t be chased away and Linux will grow to more than 2% market share.
And you forgot to mention their favorite punch line...."Why don't you go back to Windows where you belong." My first experience in the Linux forums was stumbling on to a thread (from a google search result link) that was exactly as you describe. I was in a really bad mood at the time, and I went off on them, not cussing them out, but stating my disdain in very articulate terms. I got the reprimand and the thread I stumbled on is still there.

Linux is the best way to put Microsoft out of business.....and what you describe above is the best way to keep Bill Gates rich.

Return to “Chat about Linux”