What is Linux to you?

Chat about Linux in general
anselmo
Level 1
Level 1

What is Linux to you?

Post by anselmo »

Hi, my name is Anselmo Pereira, and I want to ask, since I'm doing this for a school work and I'm new to these forums, what is Linux to you. Why do you use it? How important do you think it is? And how many distros do you know?

Thank you
Anselmo Pereira

PS: If this question was answered before or if it is on the wrong board, take it down.
Why wouldn't you have Linux on your system. It's fast, reliable, free, and most of all, safe.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What is Linux to you?

Post by killer de bug »

Not a direct support request, therefore I relocated it to the chat section.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
anselmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anselmo »

Thanks, my bad.
Why wouldn't you have Linux on your system. It's fast, reliable, free, and most of all, safe.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

What is linux to me? Linux is a great alternative to Windows.

Why do I use it? I use it because starting on October 26th, 2012; Microsoft released Window 8. I didn't like Windows 8 at all. In fact, I hated working with Windows 8 so much, I started looking at other operating system alternatives such as Apple's OS X and Google's Chrome OS. Once I found the DistroWatch site, I was able to research the many linux distros listed there and after playing around with Mint via a "live" DVD disk; I found it looked, felt and acted similar to Windows 7 and I really enjoyed using Windows 7. So I installed Linux Mint 14. At that time, I dual booted Windows 7 and Mint 14. I knew Microsoft would not give up on the Windows 8's direction and when Windows 8 was basically rejected according to market share figures, Microsoft tried "fixing" Windows 8 by releasing Windows (8.1). I didn't like using Windows 8.1 either.

I knew Microsoft would never abandon the direction it was going with both Windows 8 and (8.1) and that was confirmed with Windows 10. The automatic updates in Windows 10 Home took away control of my computer from me while transferring that control over to Microsoft thereby turning my computer into nothing more than a glorified terminal for Microsoft. This and after reading the 46 page EULA "manuscript" for Windows 10, these two items were an "automatic deal breaker" for me.

Getting back on Windows 7, Microsoft kept trying to put the piece of "garbage" (speaking strictly for myself) KB update 3035583 on my Windows 7 hard drives through Windows Update and which I hid at least 12 times told me I could no longer trust Microsoft. As far as I was concerned, Microsoft was trying to "persuade" me to install Windows 10 with heavy handed tactics which I rejected outright. I was never going to install Windows 10 on any of my four Windows 7 hard drives (I have four computers) and I really started "hating" Microsoft trying to get me to upgrade to an operating system I despised.

Starting with the October "cumulative and monthly roll-up" Windows Updates for Windows 7, these two new policy changes Microsoft implemented for Windows 7, that was the "last straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. I emailed Microsoft and told the company I hated their new policy changes so much, I would never install or use Windows 10 but adding fuel to the fire, in that email I told Microsoft I would never purchase another Microsoft product for as long as I live and these two decisions for me are "carved in granite" as they say. I turned off my Windows 7 updates for October, uninstalled them from my four computers and put my four Windows hard drives in a cabinet where they sit gathering dust so to speak. Microsoft has permanently lost me as customer.

How important is linux to me? Linux is very important to me because linux lets me have control over my four computers. It's also enjoyable to use.

How many distros do I know? I know of many linux distros because of the DistroWatch site. I played around with Zorin, Debian Stable, Manjaro, SolydXK, Chalet OS and finally Mint. Mint for me was the "cat's meow". It took me about 30 minutes after using it that I felt very comfortable using it since it was so similar to Windows 7, again speaking strictly for myself. I tried Mate, KDE and Xfce and settled on Xfce as my desktop environment.
Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce 64 Bit
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Freedom - both Windows and MacOs are becoming increasingly locked down and hard to customise. Windows logs personal information and presents you with unwanted adverts. In either system there are little niggles that are intentionally made difficult to work around. On Linux there's so much choice and no lock-in that I can have it my way.

Simplicity- I finally dumped Windows when it got into a crash loop trying to do an update. Updates on Linux are quicker, less intrusive, do not require multiple reboots and the OS allows ME to choose when to do them.

Economy- Linux is free! I found MacOs much better than Windows on the whole, but the hardware was way overpriced. (Anyone who argues this, just look at the incremental cost of upgrading a standard item like a hard disc or memory.) Not only that, but perfectly good hardware was effectively obsoleted because for no good reason after a few years, MacOs would drop support for it and security updates would no longer be available for the latest release I could run. With Linux I know I can run this hardware until it fails.
Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Once you start to study history, you will see how much America as a whole has changed. This change has influenced the world. We used to have many choices, now there are few. We used to be able to support a family off of 1 income. Now you can have 2 incomes in a working poor household. The latest in the news of choices becoming fewer has been John Deere fighting to keep their software proprietary.They want to follow in MS footsteps and make sure a farmer must pay them large sums of money to scan electronic devices on equipment. Also the auto industry is jumping of this band wagon. They also want their software secured so you have to go pay $150 or more for them to hook a scanner up and read the ecu fault. Because a free to use fault scanner at the parts store is just darn unamerican (sarcasm).

All these corporations all want the same thing. They want total control over something you have purchased. They want to use law to control you to pay them more money. MS wants you to pay them to be able to turn on your PC and the others want you to pay them to be able to troubleshoot machinery.

Linux as a whole is what is breaking this system. Its a way to give a big finger to someone who thinks they have control over you ( and believe me I am all about that). Linux is a choice in a realm where few exist. No one tricked me into downloading it. No one made me agree to lease it and tell me I cannot modify it. The only thing the Linux community does is say" we have this here. Try it. Shoot modify it if you want too. And do not be afraid to share it."

To be perfectly honest, If it was not for linux I would not even have a PC right now.If linux did not exist I would have thrown my pc into the garbage and lived without. Or at best, internet would be gone and i could us my old xp or win7 in offline mode for any record keeping.

I tried to stay within the rules of the forum and not go all political. I think I did a fairly good job of that. I wanted to go into how we have made the patent office useless with our economy, but that will cross the line. Unfortunately that is the best way to show how the only way to keep you creations from being exploited is in the open source realm.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

A tool, a hobby and a source of fun. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Citizen229 wrote:I tried to stay within the rules of the forum and not go all political. I think I did a fairly good job of that.
After reading the first line, I was completely white and my heart was beating fast. The end of your message allowed me to relax. :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Sorry to cause a scare. It took several proof reads to show how other corporations are on the bandwagon and not be political. I wanted to show that it was not just microsoft, but all large entities who make software. My personal belief is that the more these corporations take away choice, the more software like linux will spring up, and linux user base will grow at the same time. Cars are no different. There is already after market fuel injection for v8's. For everything else there is mega squirt. Megasquirt is the linux of the automotive arena. Once auto manufacturers lock people out, Megasquirt will grow right along with linux Os'.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Linux to me is giving your old XP and Vista computers a new leash in life. It's up to you to continue using XP and Vista which are usually accompanied by incessant virus attacks. I see no philosophical reason for it. It's all practical. Who would want to spend money upgrading an old Windows computer? I don't have to wax poetic about it and claim it's all philosophical. I don't even have to bash Windows as I'm still dual-booting the newer one.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

+1 on all the above--plus for me it is adventure.
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
JohnGy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohnGy »

Citizen229 wrote:

"My personal belief is that the more these corporations take away choice, the more software like linux will spring up, and linux user base will grow at the same time."

Those were my feelings when I first tried Linux. But, to be honest, things haven't gone far in that direction. Many users simply want to read and write emails, access the internet and use whatever applications interest them. The inner workings of the operating system are of little interest. But it is difficult to use Linux for any length of time without having to resort to the terminal at some point. It's a bit like having to get a blowtorch out to switch on your heating system. Mint is better than most distributions in this respect. However I still receive updates with obscure descriptions which mean nothing to me. Linux still carries an aura of geekishness.
Mint 18 Cinnamon (64-bit)
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Anselmo! I could write a book to answer your questions. To me, Linux is a breath of fresh air! I started out using DOS, but was never happy with it. When Windows came out, I started using that, and I was never happy with that either. I am an electronic design engineer and have done a fair amount of software development, so I have some idea of what a quality product can (and should) be. Microsoft's products ain't it. In 2002 a friend introduced me to Linux, and I was hooked immediately. This is the way things are supposed to work! One of the things I really like about Linux is I don't have to spend my time removing viruses, defragging the hard drive, reinstalling the OS, and so on. For me, Linux just works. I have installed Linux for a bunch of family and friends, and now I am doing WAY less computer support than I used to. Another of the things I like about Linux is the sense of community. I'm using software that was written by a community of programmers, for the purpose of using it themselves, and sharing it with the rest of the world. It's not written by somebody who's only motive is to make a profit. The support for Linux is amazing. If I have a problem, I can ask here on the forums and know that almost certainly somebody will have the answer. And people are so willing to help! Years ago, I had a problem with a program I ran on Linux, and I concluded that it was a bug in the software. I went to their website, found their email address, and sent them a description of the problem I was having. Later that same day, I got an email back from the guy who wrote the program, thanking me for finding the bug, and attached was a new version of the program with the bug fixed. Now, you can't expect to get results like that every time, but it does happen. Where else can you get that kind of service?

I think Linux is very important, and so do a lot of other people. Android phones, which now have something like 88 percent market share, are based on Linux. The internet runs on Linux, as a large share of the webservers are running Linux. If you have a router, you're running Linux. If you have a "smart TV", you're running Linux. If you have an infotainment system in your car, you're running Linux. The United States military is using Linux. The computers on the International Space Station run Linux. Wall Street exchanges run Linux. 497 of the world's 500 fastest supercomputers run Linux. The post office uses Linux. When it has to be right, it has to be Linux. It's everywhere, and the world wouldn't be the same without it. If you want to see other people's thoughts on Linux, you might have a look at this thread I started, asking for Linux success stories:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=192789

If you're interested, I have a large file on my computer with Linux success stories I could send you. Many of them came from right here on the Mint forums. Or you might look through the "Introduce yourself" section of the forums to find a lot of them:

viewforum.php?f=180

You can't imagine how many introductions there are on these forums that start out with "Windows 10 was the last straw for me" and end up with "I should have done this years ago."

I started out using Mandrake Linux, and shortly after switched to Xandros. I used Xandros until Mint 17 came out. So I don't have a lot of experience with different distros. Xandros and Mint have worked well for me, so I don't really have much reason to go distro shopping. But I have worked on friends' computers that came with Linux, mostly Ubuntu, so I have had a little experience with other distros. And now and then I install another distro in VirtualBox just to try it out. (I now have over 25 distros installed in VirtualBox, but not a lot of experience with any of them.)

OK, I'll quit now. I would bet that you get a lot of positive responses to your questions.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Namaste and welcome to the Linux Mint forums.

Linux to me is the freedom to do what I want to do without some corporation telling me what they want me to do, and with what software I can do it with.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

For me it was my work, as an artist I used to use the adobe family, but always preferred gimp, inkscape etc, I did not like the way windows was going, I never really like it once I started using in the first place, I started off with a mac, just way to buggy.
Then when I got into programming and moving my art around screens linux just made sense to me.
all the IDE's and art programs I used even on windows are all open source (not because they were free but I found them better)
The options of making the system what you want it to be instead of uhhh this is it have fun.
Always something to play with and create on linux.

It just never boring
and just a way more superior system.

Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

JohnGy wrote:Citizen229 wrote:

"My personal belief is that the more these corporations take away choice, the more software like linux will spring up, and linux user base will grow at the same time."

Those were my feelings when I first tried Linux. But, to be honest, things haven't gone far in that direction. Many users simply want to read and write emails, access the internet and use whatever applications interest them. The inner workings of the operating system are of little interest. But it is difficult to use Linux for any length of time without having to resort to the terminal at some point. It's a bit like having to get a blowtorch out to switch on your heating system. Mint is better than most distributions in this respect. However I still receive updates with obscure descriptions which mean nothing to me. Linux still carries an aura of geekishness.
JG- I would argue this point. I have been using mint 17.3 for a while now. I have yet to use the command line. I am not using 18 yet for the specific purpose of it is not debugged yet.I want my pc to run which is why I will not upgrade untill 18.3. I use this pc for internet,dvds, and online media. I can say thus far anyone who uses a pc for a media box should be doing the same thing. use 17.3 till 18.3 and they will never has to see the command line. I will say this I do not have a printer, external drive, or other devices like that. That realm may be a bit different. But for the average point and click user command line is never seen.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
anselmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anselmo »

Thanks for all of your answers. Ironically I'm reading your responses on a computer with Windows 7. But to kind of save me, when I had a problem with my computer and Windows wouldn't boot, Linux would. My brothers hated Linux, but when Windows wouldn't boot, they were forced to use Linux, and now they love it. So... Linux rules! And Night Wing, I'm studying to repair computers on a professional school (I don't know if in other countries it works like this) in Portugal, so it would be great for me, when I get a job at that area, that people use Windows so that I would make more money. :D
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Linux is just another OS that I use for a couple of programs that I like and aren't available on Mac or Windows.
Shabby

Post by Shabby »

Linux is a viable alternative to Windows with the benefit of not having to scan for or protect from malware and viruses with resource-hungry software.
No more defragging,running the Ccleaner or any other programs/utilities merely to keep the damn thing from freezing or slowing to a crawl!
Should've ditched Windows years ago but better late than never. :mrgreen:
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

It taught me how to actually use a computer, and it is just SO easy to maintain compared to Windows. I could never go back.
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.

Return to “Chat about Linux”