So called lightweight Linux distros...

Chat about Linux in general
johnywhy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: So called lightweight Linux distros...

Post by johnywhy »

I'm guessing your hardware may require the very same drivers, whatever Linux you're running, and therefore maybe you can keep those drivers on hand. No?

I'm not expert, I'm sure you tried everything.
Mint 19 xfce. Semi-noob

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

Don't know for sure but I imagine a lot of Linux drivers are pretty much the same from distro to distro.

I like distros that work right out of the box without problems as I'm not a software troubleshooter.

johnywhy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by johnywhy »

Me too.

Fwiw, even Windows requires that I download drivers from the computer manufacturer before all my hardware will work.
Mint 19 xfce. Semi-noob

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

The Old Timer wrote:Don't know for sure but I imagine a lot of Linux drivers are pretty much the same from distro to distro.

I like distros that work right out of the box without problems as I'm not a software troubleshooter.
+1
An OS should works out of the box, we cannot spend time fixing problems every day. First, the work (I use Linux for my work, I'm a writer and teacher).

But sometimes I like to explore some "interesting" distros. Not the most difficult/geeky like Gentoo or Arch, but just a bit less easy and somewhat challenging. For example I would like to try Slackware. I'ts very lightweight, and some Slackware derivatives like Vector Linux or Salix are very nice and interesting. For us, Debian/Ubuntu/Mint users, there is a learning curve but not so hard. I've tried Vector and is really snappy on old hardware.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)

Return to “Chat about Linux”