So called lightweight Linux distros...

Chat about Linux in general
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: So called lightweight Linux distros...

Post by BG405 »

I wonder how much "lighter" Peppermint 7 would be, compared to LM17.3 Xfce? I'm tempted to try it on my ancient Time laptop (in my signature) but it has been refusing to boot from a Peppermint DVD so far (which works on other machines) whereas the LM17.3 Xfce DVD worked fine and this is what I used for the installation. These are the same 3-inch DVD+RW disks and I tried another DVD unit in the machine which boots PM7 OK on its original laptop, but with the same inability to boot on the Time machine.

Reason for asking is to find out whether it's really worth pursuing (maybe using a boot disk & a USB with Peppermint). LM17.3 Xfce does give perfectly acceptable performance, not exactly lightning speed but fine for basic tasks including web browsing with Firefox, just thought Peppermint might be a bit more "snappy", as it were.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Shabby

Post by Shabby »

BG405 wrote:I wonder how much "lighter" Peppermint 7 would be, compared to LM17.3 Xfce? I'm tempted to try it on my ancient Time laptop (in my signature) but it has been refusing to boot from a Peppermint DVD so far (which works on other machines) whereas the LM17.3 Xfce DVD worked fine and this is what I used for the installation. These are the same 3-inch DVD+RW disks and I tried another DVD unit in the machine which boots PM7 OK on its original laptop, but with the same inability to boot on the Time machine.

Reason for asking is to find out whether it's really worth pursuing (maybe using a boot disk & a USB with Peppermint). LM17.3 Xfce does give perfectly acceptable performance, not exactly lightning speed but fine for basic tasks including web browsing with Firefox, just thought Peppermint might be a bit more "snappy", as it were.
Might be worth trying a different browser as well?
My Firefox is quite RAM-hungry,even with add-ons disabled,Opera seems quicker even with its own adblocker running.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The browser has the same add-ons and settings as on my other machines (synced) but it is quick enough considering the hardware specs. Certainly faster than I remember with Windows on much "better" hardware; in fact with my previous Win7 Ultimate on the Acer netbook (2GB RAM, dual-core N570 1.66GHz CPU) FF performed like a half-dead slug. It was horrible. Took an age to open the browser, ages to load pages, ages to switch between tabs and up to ten minutes to close (except for the frequent crashes). It responds really fast with LM17.3 KDE on that machine and there really isn't much lag with Xfce on the Time, considering its single core 32-bit processor (an AMD Mobile XP1800+) and 512Mb RAM. So it really isn't an issue :)

I did try NetSurf but it is about the same in terms of responsiveness & page loading. Note that networking performance isn't far off that of the more modern machines and download speeds (& speed tests) are the same as on those.

I don't really think much improvement is possible but it's perfectly useable, just thought PM7 might be a bit more responsive overall.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

BG405 wrote:The browser has the same add-ons and settings as on my other machines (synced) but it is quick enough considering the hardware specs. Certainly faster than I remember with Windows on much "better" hardware; in fact with my previous Win7 Ultimate on the Acer netbook (2GB RAM, dual-core N570 1.66GHz CPU) FF performed like a half-dead slug. It was horrible. Took an age to open the browser, ages to load pages, ages to switch between tabs and up to ten minutes to close (except for the frequent crashes). It responds really fast with LM17.3 KDE on that machine and there really isn't much lag with Xfce on the Time, considering its single core 32-bit processor (an AMD Mobile XP1800+) and 512Mb RAM. So it really isn't an issue :)

I did try NetSurf but it is about the same in terms of responsiveness & page loading. Note that networking performance isn't far off that of the more modern machines and download speeds (& speed tests) are the same as on those.

I don't really think much improvement is possible but it's perfectly useable, just thought PM7 might be a bit more responsive overall.
In my (limited) experience I can say that PPM7 is indeed faster and more responsive than LM17 on weak hardware, although not by much. As for the browser, try Opera or Slimjet, they are both faster and less resource demanding than Firefox (although less feature-rich and less customizable). Slimjet is a fork of Chrome and still support 32bit. In my experience, Slimjet 32bit runs noticeably faster and eat less RAM than Firefox on a weak PC/laptop.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

xfrank wrote:Yes, this is a good useful distro, but there is a learning curve for Icewm (not even mentioning Fluxbox). The "lower" DE that I can accept is Lxde.
Antix as with any Debian Distro there is a small learning curve however once past that curve the Distro is a good little one that does everything the big flagship mainstream Linux Distros do just faster.

I use Lubuntu 16.04 a lot on older computers as I find it to work well.
Running Lubuntu 16.04 on this computer and it runs great where Linux Mint 18 Xfce / Peppermint 7 / Xubuntu 16.04 just loaded the processor down too much which is why I don't consider these three Linux Distros to be lightweight at all.

Dell-Optiplex-320 (06/17/2007).
Intel Pentium D 950 (3400 MHz).
Radeon Xpress 200/1100 [RC410] integrated graphics adaptor.
DDR2 Memory 2.0GB.
Hard Drive WD 40GB 7200 rpm.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

If you like lubuntu you may also want to try LXLE (nice) ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

kc1di wrote:If you like lubuntu you may also want to try LXLE (nice) ;)
I'll have to download the ISO and give it a test drive as it does look pretty good.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

The Old Timer wrote:
I'll have to download the ISO and give it a test drive as it does look pretty good.
Let us know what you think Old Timer.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

kc1di wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:
Let us know what you think Old Timer.
I'm not impressed.
I have had two bad iso downloads from their website which redirects you to SourceForge.
I'm not wasting anymore time, we are already off to a bad start. :(
Last edited by The Old Timer on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Mint 17.3 XFCE light stable and supported heavily. What more could you ask for?
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Citizen229 wrote:Mint 17.3 XFCE light stable and supported heavily. What more could you ask for?
It's good to have alternatives and there are other light stable and supported heavily Linux Distros.
c30zD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by c30zD »

I haven't tried that many lightweight distros. Mostly, I've been using Mint. However, I've tried two distros that I think are worth a shot: Arch and wattOS. Regarding Arch, it was only to have a taste of it; I used it with a command-line interface, so it was obviously lightweight. wattOS is intended to be low on resources. I didn't test it thoroughly, but I installed it on my brother's netbook and he hasn't complained.

For the sake of completeness (i.e. how lightweight it is), there's a wattOS user that says:
64-bit Wattos R9 190 megabytes of RAM,
Wattos R10 64bit using 255 megabytes of RAM.
Just so you know :)
to be fair, I don't know if that's right, but it's worth noting.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

c30zD wrote:I haven't tried that many lightweight distros. Mostly, I've been using Mint. However, I've tried two distros that I think are worth a shot: Arch and wattOS. Regarding Arch, it was only to have a taste of it; I used it with a command-line interface, so it was obviously lightweight. wattOS is intended to be low on resources. I didn't test it thoroughly, but I installed it on my brother's netbook and he hasn't complained.

For the sake of completeness (i.e. how lightweight it is), there's a wattOS user that says:
64-bit Wattos R9 190 megabytes of RAM,
Wattos R10 64bit using 255 megabytes of RAM.
Just so you know :)
to be fair, I don't know if that's right, but it's worth noting.
I've just installed WattOS 32bits on a "test" machine (nettop with Atom processor and 2GB RAM). Only 210mb RAM in idle, and very responsive/snappy. Even better than Peppermint 7 (installed on another partition in the same machine).
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

I've never used it myself but i've seen people say good things about Manjaro Netbook Edition.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Debian-Based antiX MX-16 "Metamorphosis" final just released.

I just installed and updated and all is running very well right out of the box. :)
It is a very colorful Xfce distro and comes loaded with all sorts of usable software.

It is definitely worth a look at IMO.
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

ubuntu minimal

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD
http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/netboot/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ERrXC2azrY
(Ubuntu Minimal Install From Start To Finish )

11:30 onwards will show the current list of desktops available such as Mate and Mate minimal.
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

Can Mint Xapps be installed into Ubuntu minimal?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Lucap wrote:Can Mint Xapps be installed into Ubuntu minimal?
I'm pretty sure they could. You'll just have to download the .debs and install manually. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

Might be useful for and Ubuntu Minimal. :)
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap »

Ubuntu Budgie Minimal Edition

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-b ... tml#sgal_0

minimal ISO image

https://sourceforge.net/projects/budgie ... h%2016.10/

Just a test version at the moment.

Return to “Chat about Linux”