why gnome is so popular?

Chat about Linux in general
niubboxp
Level 3
Level 3

why gnome is so popular?

Post by niubboxp » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:32 am

i've just tryed gnome, but i feel it something incomplete compared to cinnamon, i cannot add prefix to shortcut, the file manager lack of options, maybe i dont get the gnome point of view that's why i ask you, why gnome is so popular?
Linux Mint 18 64bit Cinnamon

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: why gnome is so popular?

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:37 am

It's not popular at all.... The last time it was popular, was when it was still Gnome 2. People ditched it in masses, when it transitioned to Gnome 3. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:51 am

Gnome 3 isn't lacking features. It's being stripped off. Gnome won't lack any File Manager options if its developers didn't start removing them. It's for the people who just don't want to be bothered configuring their system.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:03 am

Linux on the desktop represents 2% to 3% of the desktop universe so it's impossible to determine exactly how popular Gnome is compared to others.

It really does appear that Gnome is trying to replicate the macOS interface. The best example is probably "Connect to Server" which is an almost exact copy of the one in macOS. They do seem to have gone too far of late in their relentless quest to remove features in the name of simplification. Unity, Cinnamon and MATE are all reactions to Gnome.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

niubboxp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by niubboxp » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:35 pm

i hope they will change his roadmap, i've tryed a couple of distros and they had gnome as main de, i've also looked some others distros and saw alot of them have gnome

i dont understand why remove feature, i like when program are easyer, but remove options doesent make it easier but empty

in the gnome community there is no discussion about it? i dont think to be the only one who feel their de "useless"

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:13 pm

niubboxp wrote:in the gnome community there is no discussion about it?
Those discussions happened in 2011. In a big way.

But that's all ancient history: Gnome has lost its relevance as desktop environment. It's only relevant now as "building blocks" or raw material for other desktops. Today, people who actually use Gnome as desktop environment are probably a small minority of all Linux desktop users.

On the one hand it's sad to see a once great, popular desktop dwindle away into obscurity. On the other hand, it's still of great value and importance as "raw material" for more popular desktops.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 am

I started using it a while ago and i really like it now. KDE and Cinnamon try bringing 10+ options to you all the time and it's a mess. GNOMEv3 gives you 1 method of doing everything and expects you to learn it. It's weird at first but you grow used to it, it's a less 'in your face' desktop.

GNOMEv3 and Cinnamon are my 2 favorite desktops.
Donate to your favourite distros!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:07 am

I switched to Gnome Shell on my main system almost 3 years ago. I love the polished and distraction free environment. I don't need bells and whistles worth of options and I personally am not missing any functionality when using it or its file manager. I prefer something that stays out of my way and lets me focus on what I'm working on and Gnome Shell fits with that.

Using extensions and Gnome Tweak Tool it can be customized for those users that like tinkering with their system. With extensions you can add things like a dock or move the panel to the bottom and have it list your open windows. During the first two weeks of using it I played around with those kind of extensions as I tried to find my way on Gnome Shell. After two weeks the Gnome Shell workflow clicked for me and I'm only using an extension to hide the legacy icon tray and the one that lets you use the mouse scrollwheel on the panel to move between workspaces. While Gnome Shell has good, if not the best, keyboard accessibility I prefer using the mouse more and I don't need icons cluttering my view.

I also love the way Gnome programs like Gedit, Nautilus and Music look and work; polished, distraction free and with the functionality I need. That is part of the attraction to Gnome Shell for me. These programs also look good on Patheon and Budgie (other shells for Gnome) but having tried both I personally strongly prefer Gnome Shell's workflow.

I also have all the Linux Mint editions installed and Cinnamon is my second most popular desktop environment.

niubboxp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by niubboxp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 am

xenopeek, do you know if there is any extension or any solution to add a prefix on gnome icon in the menu? like in cinnamon

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:34 am

I don't quite understand what you mean with "prefix on icon in the menu". Can you explain a bit more or circle it in a screenshot or something?

niubboxp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by niubboxp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm

xenopeek wrote:I don't quite understand what you mean with "prefix on icon in the menu". Can you explain a bit more or circle it in a screenshot or something?
sure
in cinnamon, in the launchbar icon i can add something before the path, for example "firejail firefox" then when i click on icon i launch a firefox in a firejalled session

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 pm

No, Gnome Shell doesn't come with an integrated menu editor (that I know of). You can install a menu editor, like Alacarte or MenuLibre, for editing your menu. Though for your example you don't need to. You can just use firecfg that should come with your firejail installation to setup symbolic links to programs that have a firejail profile so they are automatically run in firejail. Whether you start them from your menu or from the terminal, it will be run in firejail. See https://firejail.wordpress.com/features-3/man-firecfg/

niubboxp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by niubboxp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 pm

i didn't knew about firecfg, thanks as always for your tips

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey niubboxp!
niubboxp wrote:i've just tryed gnome, but i feel it something incomplete compared to cinnamon, i cannot add prefix to shortcut, the file manager lack of options, maybe i dont get the gnome point of view that's why i ask you, why gnome is so popular?
The Gnome Project decided back in the 2010/2011 timeframe that they needed to "modernize" the user interface paradigm they were following for Gnome. That redesign and reconceptualization is what became Gnome 3, and with many tweaks and further enhancements and refinements, Gnome 3.22. This caused a MASSIVE split within the GNU+Linux community (somewhat talked about up-thread already) and basically there are those who *love* Gnome 3.x, and the rest of the Gnome user community who think it sucks and forked the project and went on to create Cinnamon and MATE, and to an extent, Budgie.

The rest of the community, for the most part, is split between KDE, XFCE, and several other comparatively small-fry.
Pjotr wrote:On the one hand it's sad to see a once great, popular desktop dwindle away into obscurity. On the other hand, it's still of great value and importance as "raw material" for more popular desktops.
I couldn't agree more.
altair4 wrote:It really does appear that Gnome is trying to replicate the macOS interface. The best example is probably "Connect to Server" which is an almost exact copy of the one in macOS. They do seem to have gone too far of late in their relentless quest to remove features in the name of simplification. Unity, Cinnamon and MATE are all reactions to Gnome.
No, Gnome 3 is not a rip-off of Classic Mac OS. It's also not really a rip-off of Mac OS X's Aqua interface, either. If anything, it's a riff, along similar likes with Canonical's Unity, on the iOS interface.

Personally, one of my biggest quarrels with Gnome 3 and Unity is that they are touch-screen interfaces mass distributed across primarily non-touchscreen hardware. It's exceedingly inefficient to use either of them, compared with Gnome 2 or Cinnamon, et al.

Then again, Mac OS X, having inherited its UI from Classic Mac OS, used to be the Gold Standard of commercial OS user interfaces, and look at what's happened to it from 10.7 onward. It's pretty crappy now, too.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I always hear people say they like Gnome3 because the UI "gets out of the way" but I find it to be the exact opposite. I find simplified UI's to be frustrating and they either bury common features or simply lack them all together. This applies to both Gnome shell and the Gnome collection of applications. Now that the standard toolbar has been abandoned every Gnome application is a unique Unicorn. There is no usual place for commands anymore, each app UI os unique to that app and learning one app gives you no information on how another will work.
With the standard menu bar, whether you are using a browser, a word processor, an image editor or a video editor, certain common things like settings and preferences can be found in similar locations. Gnome3 blows this continuity out of the water and leaves the user stuck learning each application by blind rote.
My good old PC:
Core2quad@2.33, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6850. 64GB SSD boot Drive, 750GB data dump drive, Mint/Cinnamon edition.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 pm

sphyrth wrote:Gnome 3 isn't lacking features. It's being stripped off. Gnome won't lack any File Manager options if its developers didn't start removing them.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm

How popular is gnome?

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 am

There doesn't seem to be a setting to move the top status bar to the bottom?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:31 am

Customizing Gnome Shell is done with extensions. To move the panel to the bottom you can use several extensions, like https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/949/bottompanel/.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 am

Thanks for the Link.

Wonder why they didn't add an option as standard............

Return to “Chat about Linux”