why gnome is so popular?

Chat about Linux in general
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: why gnome is so popular?

Post by xenopeek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 am

You can customize to your heart's content using extensions. Without extensions you get their vision for the desktop; uncluttered with options most don't need. Pick the extensions you want for the things you want to look differently. Want a panel like Windows? Want a dock like macOS? Want a dock like Unity? Want two panels like MATE or Xfce? You can do all that and much more with extensions.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 am

Does that mean you have to install an extension just to move things like the clock over to the right of the bar as well?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 am

The clock is tied to your calendar / weather / notifications / media player controls tray. It makes perfect sense to me where it is currently so I've never looked into moving it around. I like Gnome Shell pretty much as default—I'm using the default theme, wallpaper, fonts and no extensions that change things visually (I use extensions to hide the legacy icons tray and switch workspaces by scrolling over the panel). If you want to know, fire up Gnome Shell and go experimenting with https://extensions.gnome.org/ :wink:

Zorin OS is a great example of what can easily be done with Gnome Shell. Their Zorin Appearance manager can switch Gnome Shell with one click between following layouts:
- Windows like panel with icons-only window list and menu
- Windows like panel with normal window list and menu
- Default Gnome Shell
- Mate like dual panel (bottom and top)
- Unity like dual panel (side and top)
- macOS like dock and panel (bottom and top)

The above is in Zorin OS Ultimate. I happen to have Zorin OS Core here and while it has a more limited selection of layouts (and you may or may not like Zorin OS' default theme) looking at this screenshot—with a menu, normal window list, status area with clock, minimize buttons on windows and icons on the desktop—that is pretty much Linux Mint's default layout across all its editions.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 am

Zorin theme looks nice.

What annoys me about the status bar at the top is by the time you have the wasted space of the windows decoration around firefox followed by tabs space and icons a webpage is quarter of the way down the screen before you even start reading it.

And if you use auto hide then you have that annoying hopping up and down.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:46 am

That's more on Firefox not using native looks. With some Firefox extensions you can make Firefox be almost as effective with screen space as GNOME Web: https://fosspost.org/2017/02/23/gnome-t ... ing-great/

Here's GNOME Web being effective with screen space:

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:07 am

I could live with that as it's no worse than what firefox would normally use.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 am

April 18, 2017
We’re proud to formally announce the release of our Solus GNOME edition. This edition fulfills our desire to make GNOME a first class experience, instead of a hybrid Budgie / GNOME setup, and introduces a near-stock GNOME experience with sane defaults and some shipped extensions.

Our GNOME edition ships with GNOME 3.24 and features the GNOME theme provided by Arc, providing a cleaner and more modern look to GNOME. Furthermore, we ship and have enabled several sensible extensions so you can spend less time tweaking and more time just using the system.
So after all this time developing his own desktops Solus is now putting out a GNOME edition so that shows how popular it's becoming.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 am

Any problems with Themes or Extensions chewing through ram as i've noticed a couple of complaints on other forums but they were really old posts from Gnome 3.20

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:01 am

Script Can Make GNOME Shell Look like Windows, Mac, or Unity

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/easi ... ome-layout

The Windows one reminds me of Cinnamon crossed with Budgie with a sprinkle of ZorinOS........

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:53 am

The one thing that is great about Linux is there is almost infinate choice -- If you like gnome use it , cinnamon, mate KDE etc etc.
There are many many choices. only trouble seems to be testing them all :lol:
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm

I've found new respect for gnome. My goto desktop has been KDE since the whole Unity thing 5 years ago. However, after the recent announcement of merging Ubuntu gnome and the main edition, I decided to give 17.04 Gnome a spin on my laptop. There is a lot to like about how it runs, once you get it configured right. It's a damn good layout for power users, especially on smaller laptop screens. The single bar at the top uses very little space so you have maximum scrolling space for text.

The meta key is really leveraged well since it gives you all your windows and workspaces in a single view. I find now I just hit meta + a few letters and return to launch apps. I rarely use the mouse to click on icons.

What I dislike is how it uses even more CPu cycles than KDE. Also, dolphin is a much more powerful file manager than nautilus, and the right click menus are weak at best. For someone who wants full customization on the desktop, KDE (or Cinammon) are still more powerful. Gnome also seems to find ways to crash left and right. In short, GNOME is great if you just want to get stuff done without fuss.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 pm

I have to admit that my disdain for GNOME is as much about the gnome teams attitude as anything else.
I come from a back ground in Mac computers and a thing I got completely sick and tired of hearing from Apple was that they knew what I needed more than I knew my own needs. The gnome team displays this exact same attitude. All through the long discussions about the changes to gnome the message from gnome was crystal clear: They had their plans all mapped out and were not interested in any feedback from users at all.
Apple said the same thing and I kicked them to the curb because of that, I am certainly not going to get mixed up with a new set of developers with the same screw you attitude.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics » Mon May 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Well, Gnome is going to be even more popular now that Ubuntu is dropping Unity in favor of Gnome.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue May 02, 2017 12:48 am

xenopeek »

Did you try any other bases with Gnome before you settled on Arch?

I wondered what would give the best basic raw Gnome experience without tons of clutter and unwanted apps installed.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 am

Lucap wrote:xenopeek »

Did you try any other bases with Gnome before you settled on Arch?

I wondered what would give the best basic raw Gnome experience without tons of clutter and unwanted apps installed.
Ubuntu-gnome is fairly stripped down. It doesn't even come with synaptic. I had manually install Nautilus-admin to get open as root function

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Lucap wrote:Did you try any other bases with Gnome before you settled on Arch?
Not seriously. At the time (early 2014) I installed Arch just to try the latest Gnome Shell. I enjoyed both enough to stick with them on my main system. Obviously I also enjoy Linux Mint very much though :wink: I've run Fedora, Korora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu GNOME and probably others with Gnome Shell in VirtualBox. Fedora gives the most pure GNOME experience but if you're coming from Linux Mint a Debian based distro will be easier to use. I didn't like using Gnome Shell on Ubuntu for a long time as they broke the experience with their patches for Unity and by holding back certain applications to (much) older GNOME releases. That's gotten better with Ubuntu GNOME and hopefully with 17.10 or 18.04 I won't have to doubt Ubuntu being a good place to run Gnome Shell.

As to the second question, I don't know what you would describe as "tons of clutter and unwanted apps". You're not talking about GNOME Clutter https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Clutter I think :) Anyway, GNOME have guidelines for distributions that want to label themselves as providing a "pure GNOME experience". That says which core applications MUST be installed and which extra applications MUST NOT be installed. Whether those would be unwanted to you I don't know. This blog post gives a good overview of this for the 3.22 release: https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016 ... core-apps/

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Wed May 03, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks both for the Info. :)

I must admit that i have the same Love Hate relationship as others have mentioned as some of Gnomes decisions don't seem to be based on any real logic or reason.

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vladtepes » Wed May 03, 2017 1:32 am

I'm a late comer to this discussion and have very little understanding of it, but I have a (probably) related question.
On another forum someone told me they had read somewhere (yes, very vague) that LM 18.2 would be based on Gnome and therefore wouldn't be as good.....

Is this accurate, or perhaps a half truth in that LM is based on Ubuntu, the future version of which will be based on Gnome ?
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 am

Lucap wrote:some of Gnomes decisions don't seem to be based on any real logic or reason
The design team's logic and reasoning are public. See primarily https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/ but of course also https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/. You may not agree with design decisions but that is another matter.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Wed May 03, 2017 5:33 am

Is this accurate, or perhaps a half truth in that LM is based on Ubuntu, the future version of which will be based on Gnome ?
Half-truth. Lots of things in many Linux desktops are based on gnome stuff. Mint18.2 will be based on the same things it was in 18 and 18.1. The biggest difference will likely be for Mate users since Mate 1.18 is now based on gtk3 instead of gtk2. Hopefully it will be mostly transparent to users though.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux”