linux mint alternative?

Chat about Linux in general
Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Re: linux mint alternative?

Post by Lemongrass38 »

I think it's not right to mock ogamoz about that post. Okay, he/she didn't ask here about his/her bugs, but that's not a reason to mock him/her.

I think you can just try Debian or Slackware, and ask if there's something wrong. Somebody is likely to know how to help. :)
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Sorry, we disagree. Coming to a forum and saying 'Your OS is [expletive], I never bothered to try and get help, now please help me find one that is 100% perfect' is not going to go over well. If they had said 'I've used Mint for a while and it's not for me because of [issues], please help me find someting that is a better fit' the results would have been very different.

If you'll pardon my French, c'est le ton qui fait la musique.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey ogamoz,

I use MX-16 and it works well for my minimal computer needs right out of the box although as with any Linux Distro it has its own unique quirks.
There is a little bit of a learning curve however the MX forum is excellent if needed and there is also an excellent user manual available.

Here's the link.

https://mxlinux.org/

MX Users Manual.

https://mxlinux.org/manuals
Last edited by The Old Timer on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Moem wrote:If you'll pardon my French, c'est le ton qui fait la musique.
Je suis d'accord, le ton est tout faux.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 »

ogamoz wrote:which version of linux does have less bugs? thank you.
I have a few other thoughts to you, ogamoz. I'll be kind. :)

Think of Linux Mint as a gift (opposed to Windows and Mac that are paid programs). You got if free of charge. It consists of their work:

Linux kernel developers: more than 12,000 people contributed to it,
the GNU project: ? members,
Debian developers: about 1,000 people currently,
Ubuntu developers: ? members,
Linux Mint developers: there's at least a dozen of them,
developers of the free softwares in the repositories: there's really many of them (I mention Mozilla (Firefox developers) and Libreoffice teams, but there are much more),
forum staff on all 3 forums: many of them (they help people in fixing problems and after that, raising bug reports),
those who donated to Debian, Ubuntu or Linux Mint or anyone in this list above,
and all other people who help here on this forum.

You get bleeding edge technologies (gpg, Firefox, dpkg, apt ...). Debian is so stable that it's a major server OS. It runs smoothly without a restart or crash for really long (I haven't tried this with Mint, nor with Debian)... So you got a great gift.

I guess this is in the range of a few times 100,000 people. It's not unusual to meet one of them here on the Mint's official forum.

People usually don't mention any mistakes/errors of a gift. This is an unspoken rule. Because those who give the gift might feel a bit bad. They made an effort after all. I think you might keep this in mind, and get more welcome.

I think if you just post your bugs and error messages in the correct subforum, you'll get help, I think you don't need to think that it's over on this forum. :) But as you wish, you might change your OS.
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Moem wrote:Sorry, we disagree. Coming to a forum and saying 'Your OS is [expletive], I never bothered to try and get help, now please help me find one that is 100% perfect' is not going to go over well. If they had said 'I've used Mint for a while and it's not for me because of [issues], please help me find someting that is a better fit' the results would have been very different.
I understand you... I didn't say that the post was nice. Indeed, it could be written in a different style. I just said that I don't think they should be mocked.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

As it is in many places there are deciples of "Alternate Truths!" Some of them are Political as described in the book "1984". Many are BOTS! These are all over the place on the internet. Most of them develop and distribute malicious software or try to lead others to malicious software or OS.
I think that the original poster here is one of those.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

I think we should just wish the OP well in their search for the Holy Grail.

There is no need to be defensive. If someone does not find Mint to their liking I wish them well in their search for the OS that is a better fit for them. I started out on Suse and moved to Ubuntu and finally found Mint which is the best OS that suites me. I have explored Fedora and a bunch of others on VM and old machines and laptops. I had to use Windows for years and my wife had a Mac for a few years which I played with from time to time. I am sure there are fans of all those OS that I tried and would not take it kindly if I were to denigrate their OS of choice - if those OS work for them great. So yeah if Mint is not the OP's cup of tea - hey, I understand been there - see ya around. . . or not.

Royal-Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Royal-Mint »

You're finding a needle in a haystack.
No matter distro or any OS you run you won't get away with bugs. Win, Mac is no exception.
This is why I spin my own distro and fix those unfix bugs by myself.

You can never fully satisfied anyone's cook if you're too picky & too perfect person.

You can find peppermint for Mint alternative that match your category.
but their DE choice is only lxde are you going to be fine with that?

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Agree could've been phrased a bit different and more politically correctized but I don't really go for the pc-bs outlook. edit: Though am a firm believer in exercising appro social tact.

Yep are bound to be buggies in Mint main, cons of having a Ubuntu base.

Also agree with Debian as a candidate w Lmde tracking stable, you could take a side-step and stay with Mint. Since you like it anyway. All the minty goodness you've come to love, none of the buggies. Well exponentially less, Debian stable is known to be solid as a rock for a reason.

Nobody has to be satisfied with stale software on Debian stable. Add the backports to your sources and other fully Debian compatible (stable based) distros repo's too. Apt-pinning and many other ways.

Nor do you have to deal with stale kernels, backports has 4.8 last I looked and just installed a 4.9 custom kernel I compiled from kernel.org source on my laptops Jessie Os.

Though installing the one kept in backports only takes 10secs.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

lmintnewb2 wrote:
Nobody has to be satisfied with stale software on Debian stable. Add the backports to your sources and other fully Debian compatible (stable based) distros repo's too. Apt-pinning and many other ways.

Nor do you have to deal with stale kernels, backports has 4.8 last I looked and just installed a 4.9 custom kernel I compiled from kernel.org source on my laptops Jessie Os.

Though installing the one kept in backports only takes 10secs.
lmintnewb2 do you think the OP would be handle doing all this if the OP was having issues fixing bugs in mint ubuntu base?
as stated
LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is a very exciting distribution, targeted at experienced users,
Debian might be more stable if you stay with the stable release but once you start mixing testing, sid or experimental it can easily be borked
backports should be ok but if the question still remains, if the OP had issues with an ubuntu base system they more then likely will in a debain based system.

as also stated
LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.
There is no such thing as a bug free system, debian stable might be good if left at the stable release but if there is issues there is less help, I loved lmde when I used for years but i would not recommend it to someone who had issues with the ubuntu base OS and issues do arise from time to time.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

Pjotr wrote: It will be interesting to see what happens if the OP posts a similar message on the Debian forums. :mrgreen:
Would that make any difference? Looking at your post you just mock the OP.

OP, start using Manjaro-Linux, it is a rolling release based on Arch-Linux with several desktop environments you can choose from. It's a one time install, all you need to do is you just keep it updated. It's lightning fast, has a small footprint (meaning it uses little memory), has a great forum where you are not being mocked like here. I use it for several months now and I just love it.
Lately I don't understand Mint anymore. The quality of the software goes downhill (18 and 18.1 are like MS Vista, or maybe even 8 ad 8.1), the forum changes, it's not my kind of distro anymore.
Debian, the base of Mint, makes a rock solid distro which is then taken by Ubuntu which tears it apart, making it (in their way) "better". Then Mint takes that result and has to iron all the errors out again, which were not there in the Debian version.

As said, I discovered Manjaro and am using it with great pleasure. It works, it works well, it works fast. But it is a different distro than the Debian based ones so you need to learn new things. Both Arch, the Manjaro base, and Manjaro itself have a great wiki where you can get info.

Another distro you could use is SolydXK. I stepped away from Mint some years ago and started using SolydXK in the KDE version. SolydXK is a distro based directly on Debian, so rock and rock solyd, and they transform it into a nice and pretty distro to work with.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

DeMus wrote:
Pjotr wrote: It will be interesting to see what happens if the OP posts a similar message on the Debian forums. :mrgreen:
Would that make any difference?
Yes. They would flame him like vulcanoes.
DeMus wrote:Lately I don't understand Mint anymore. The quality of the software goes downhill (18 and 18.1 are like MS Vista, or maybe even 8 ad 8.1), the forum changes, it's not my kind of distro anymore.
Debian, the base of Mint, makes a rock solid distro which is then taken by Ubuntu which tears it apart, making it (in their way) "better". Then Mint takes that result and has to iron all the errors out again, which were not there in the Debian version.
That's just bloody nonsense. Use whatever you want, but don't start bashing Ubuntu and Mint. It's unjust and could be seen as trolling.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

Pjotr wrote: That's just bloody nonsense. Use whatever you will, but don't start bashing Ubuntu and Mint.
Don't tell me what I can and can not do if you can't handle the truth.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

DeMus wrote:
Pjotr wrote: That's just bloody nonsense. Use whatever you will, but don't start bashing Ubuntu and Mint.
Don't tell me what I can and can not do if you can't handle the truth.
It's *not* the truth. Stop trolling.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

What one of the posters above (DeMus) said in the part of his post about Debian/buntu/Mint.

Though it's worse than that. I don't bother following Ubuntu. Never made it a secret I don't like the distro but last checked buntu takes junk from Debian testing, mixes it up, installs all the proprietary blobs and drivers Debian strips out by default and that's buntu's claim to fame.

Which testing in my experience is more buggy and less stable than Sid. Fixes come faster for unstable. Have run Debian Sid installs for long periods w/o any probs. Though does take some effort, install apt-listbugs and actually have to pay attention to whats being upgraded on the os, ocassionally put packages on hold-etc but not difficult.

Such testing branch woes to me clearly why Lmde had such a troubled life for many users and why Mint HQ opted to make Lmde 2 based on stable. They've got more than enough headaches to deal with having buntu as their main editions upstream base. :)

Do I think the OP can/will do xyz? Dunno I don't know the OP. But if adding a couple repos to sources (if Lmde doesn't already have backports default) and other things which should be simple for someone who has used gnu/Nix for years is too much to handle, then shrugs.

Have heard good things about Manjaro.

Edit: Just for the record really like Mint (and this Nix community too) has never given any probs and always worked as advertised. Think Mint is a kickbutt distro.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

:shock: getting heated in here.

We can throw all kinds of great distros at the OP the whole thing is he doesn't want to fix bugs, that's what it all boils down to, plain and simple.
i din't mention any bug which i encountered and i complain about, because i don't want anymore to fix bugs. i want to change os
So if the OP goes debian based, ubuntu base, arch based etc.... there will be bugs

By the way I like them all 8) and used almost everyone one of them.
Great crew over at solydxk.
Love arch and still use it from time to time
Manjaro great distro with less headaches installing and stabilizing the bleeding edge a tad although I still prefer plain arch but that's my preference.
@ lmintnewb2 I used to mix all repos in debian in the past to get the parts I needed and still grab the odd one when I need it but yup that way can bork it good at times :lol:
I knew one person who lived in testing only and never had issues either but he knew what he was doing.

The point is any stable distro is good, no matter what the base is (personal preferences for everyone), there are a heck of a lot great projects out there but the one fact remains, code has bugs and that will never go away.
which brings this back again to the original issue of the OP
because i don't want anymore to fix bugs
The only solution for this is not to use anything that has code, plain and simple.
Some are more stable then others but they all got bugs somewhere, (not including hardware issues, that's another set of issues no matter what OS you use).
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Dang it!

Seems like a respectable war broke out while I was typing a monstrous post. Just wanted add 2 more things.

1. Really don't know what all these bugs and probs with Mint the OP is saying they've had is about or what they're doing to experience such issues.

2. DeMus, come on man. Someone goes onto any distros home turf and posts about it being a buggy mess, they're not only going to be mocked. Likely to get digitally stomped. Just saying, keep it real eh. :)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Right, you all took OP's post and ran with it but without feedback from OP this isn't productive. I'm locking this for now and OP can PM me if they want to unlock it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”