32 bit vs 64 bit [SOLVED]

Chat about Linux in general
BG405
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit [SOLVED]

Postby BG405 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:46 am

Petermint wrote:After a full day of use, it is not hogging resources.

Mine too, in fact 7 days of continuous running isn't bad, especially compared to my previous experiences with Windows (several crashes a day, on average, even on short runs) and the actual machine gets rebooted about once a month on average. Restarting the browser always releases the RAM it has hogged.

I too have NoScript. Very interesting reading about the sheer amount of unwanted and invasive cruft the advertisers use, a real eye-opener! Thanks for that.

As for KDE vs Xfce; I use Xfce on my lower spec machines but love KDE and think if Cinnamon runs this well, especially after all the messing I've done with the system in the past 15 months, there should be no issues with KDE, in fact it's a pleasure to use even on my Acer netbook (2GB RAM). I can always turn off some of the effects but I'm rather fond of Wobbly Windows :roll: Dolphin, especially, is exactly what I need on this system along with the other KDE apps such as Kmail, Kdenlive, K3b etc.. (I know they will also run on the other DEs). Horses for courses, I suppose.

Once I've finished fishing everything I need out of this system I'll swap the hard drive, install both 32-bit & 64-bit versions and post results of my tests. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32--------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 -----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xfrank » Mon May 29, 2017 9:07 am

I've found that while Linux 32 bit performs slightly better on old / weak hardware with 2GB RAM, Firefox 32 bit is noticeably faster / more responsive that its 64 bit version. Here there is a benchmark on Windows:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/mozilla-fir ... -to-32bit/

I have the same feeling of this user:
gadgetpig
Just did an informal test on 64bit Windows 10 on Core2DUO E8400 CPU/4GB ram and Firefox 32 did “feel” faster. Specifically loading a new website, and scrolling up/down once the site was rendered,felt faster/smoother. Seems they highly optimized the32bit version.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Mon May 29, 2017 9:55 am

We're in Chat about Linux. Let's stay on topic about Linux.

Comparing 32 bit to 64 bit application performance on Windows to say anything about Linux application performance is not really useful. Especially with Firefox as it's been 64 bit on Linux since version 3.7 but only since version 43.0 on Windows. Firefox has been has been 64 bit on Linux almost 5 times longer then on Windows and has as such had much longer to improve and remove any 32 bit specific optimizations.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xfrank » Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Interesting... anyone has tested Firefox to compare the 32 / 64 bit versions in Linux? My feeling that the 32 bit version is faster is just anecdotal an can be hardware-specific.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

Zweitaktmotor
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Zweitaktmotor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Just found this thread and it made interesting reading.

One question that has not been addressed: With regartds to software titles available in the repos (e. g. in Software Manager) right now, can anyone tell me which titles are ONLY available in 64bit?

I am still rinning 32bit and my system (LMDE) is set up so nicely that I cannot be bothered to do a reinstall. Performance is fine for my needs.

Just wondering what I might miss out on by not switching to 64bit.

Many thanks.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Zweitaktmotor wrote:I am still running 32bit and my system (LMDE) is set up so nicely that I cannot be bothered to do a reinstall.

I just installed 64-bits Mint Cinnamon 18.2 alongside 32-bits Mint Cinnamon 17.3. I kept my Home which was conveniently installed in a separate partition. I'm amazed about how much of my settings carried over; it's like swapping out the table cloth while leaving all the dishware in place. I had to re-install some software and as soon as I did, my settings for that software were there.
All in all, this took me about four hours until I was all settled in again and that includes an extensive backup. Honestly, this was so much easier/quicker than I thought!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”