REISUB woes

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyO

REISUB woes

Post by MintyO »

So. Unfortunately it comes a time to shutdown or restart your computer when something bad happens. For me this happens with LMDE 2, but that's not important right now. It's simple enough to use a search engine and read all you can about REISUB and REISUO, or see it mentioned at the forums countless times. But the promlem is still how to enter it? There's conflicting information about what alt you should use, and how long exactly you should wait between the commands (letters), to keep pressing both alt, ctrl+alt, right alt (alt gr) and Print screen (or sysrq if you have one) or first pres the first, tap the prtsc and keep pressing the first and enter REI..... This is kinda getting irritating, on top of the OS freezing I'm already not having the greatest mood at the time. :evil:

So what's you method to input (first instinct was to make this a gallup topic :lol: )? So I'll have a good whopping list to try when I'll need it next time. Id like to know are my freezes really beyond REISUB or am I missing a way to input it.*

*If interested in specifics, I have the laptop's (Toshiba Satellite P500) own keyboard with prtsc with sysrq written on it (haven't tried that keyboard yet) and the keyboard I'm mostly using is basic logitech (it says K120 on it).

Feel free to use this thread as outlet for everything REISUB.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: REISUB woes

Post by all41 »

For my machines press and hold Alt, press and release PrtScn and enter reisub or reisuo about 1 second apart.
4 different desktop and 2 different laptops work with this using Mints.
But as you have indicated there are a multitude of posts with other combinations.
I used to think it was hold Ctrl+Alt and proceed as above, and even used that successfully till I found it only needs
Alt held
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

all41 wrote:For my machines press and hold Alt, press and release PrtScn and enter reisub or reisuo about 1 second apart.
But as you have indicated there are a multitude of posts with other combinations.
I used to think it was hold Ctrl+Alt and proceed as above, and even used that successfully till I found it only needs
Alt held
Left alt or tiger alt? (alt grrrrrrrrr, better known as right alt)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

On my computer I can hold down Alt and tap the SysRq key, then enter reisub.
On some computers it has to be Shift-Alt and tap the SysRq key. Or it can be Ctrl-Alt and SysRq.
Laptops may require you to hold down the function key (fn) along with alt and sysrq.

Pause after each key to give the computer time to compute. (particularly after e, i, and s.)

Technical details:
r = unRaw (take control of keyboard back from X),
e = tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate gracefully),
i = kIll (send SIGKILL to all processes, forcing them to terminate immediately),
s = Sync (flush data to disk),
u = Unmount (remount all filesystems read-only),
b = reBoot.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Full Magic SysRq keys are not enabled by default, see file content /etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf

To enable all functions of sysrq change line kernel.sysrq = 176 to:

Code: Select all

kernel.sysrq = 1
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Laurent85 wrote:Full Magic SysRq keys are not enabled by default, see file content /etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf

To enable all functions of sysrq change line kernel.sysrq = 176 to:

Code: Select all

kernel.sysrq = 1
This I hadn't come across before weirdly. Thanks! ... goes to read what the default 176 does :mrgreen: --->
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

MintyO wrote:
all41 wrote:For my machines press and hold Alt, press and release PrtScn and enter reisub or reisuo about 1 second apart.
Alt held
Left alt or tiger alt? (alt grrrrrrrrr, better known as right alt)
I have always used left Alt and used right hand to enter the rest--but right Alt works as well
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I've always used the right alt+ctrl (alt gr) and PrtSc - all simultaneously,
& then slowly, pressed that key combination, with the other hand.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Thanks, all41. Left alt + tapping printscreen has been appointed to first place on my list to enter by popular vote (with both keyboards). Pretty sure I've tried it though.

Also, after reading more about the default settings and then some more stuff on the subject on the internetz, I think when there's a really dull moment some day I'm just gonna try these on a normally running system. Might save me from some anxiety when the system then freezes in the middle of something important.
Pierre wrote:I've always used the right alt+ctrl (alt gr) and PrtSc - all simultaneously,
& then slowly, pressed that key combination.
Noted, list placement pending. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”