Ryzen Time! Suggestions for the new build

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Ryzen Time! Suggestions for the new build

Post by mr_raider »

Stumped, I am. I am stumped.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Memtest failure usually means bad ram. Assuming it starts, then fails. A bad stick of ram could also corrupt the install. If it doesnt even start memtest, I am not certain if memtest is a bios function or a OS function.

Edit: I know this because I have been down that road. One day I had a stick of ram go bad on a system that was running great. I tried everything to make it work right. Things in the OS kept failing to work properly. After 2 weeks of pulling my hair out, I read on a forums someone with the same issue. RAM was the cause. This was on an already installed OS though. but running memtest did fail for the issues I was having. After spending a few minutes pulling individual sticks, my rig stated acting normal again.

Edit2: for sake of disclosure- Did you buy specific RAM recommended by the mobo manufacturer? And are you running 2667 or less on the RAM? Ryzen and RAM issues are no strangers right now.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Ryzen should still boot at 2133 DDR4 with 2 sticks of RAM. That should be enough to install the OS. I know that the ASus boards sometimes use different chipsets and audio controllers, so that may be an issue. But the inability to even get to a live install environment suggests a more serious issue. Also the x370 chipsets have a different PCI-E lane configuration than the b350s, so that may explain the issue.

I have one final suggestion: try a command line install from the Ubuntu network installer:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

It can install without a graphical environment.
unfa

Post by unfa »

I've finally figured it out. The motherboard is fine.

The problem lies in secure boot.

The problem is, there isn't a simple "On/Off" switch for Secure Boot in ASUS UEFI.

You need to delete the PK key (and only that one - leave the rest intact) in order to disable Secure Boot, and then - Linux LiveCDs can run as expected.

Here's an article about that: https://www.technorms.com/45538/disable ... os-utility

I have no Ethernet and 640x480 resolution, but I managed to install Linux Mint 18.1 on my machine.

BTW: Installing on M.2 SATA drive gave me an error - looks like Linux Mint installer tried to install GRUB on /dev/sda, while my M.2 drive was /dev/sdb it failed.
I had to disconnect SATA plug from my HDD to make it invisible for Linux Mint LiveCD and the installation went smooth. Strange thing - I had better screen resolution during installation, then after booting from SSD.

Now I'm stuck in 640x480 with one screen (the second one isn't detected yet) and no networking, but at least I have Linux Mint installed and running!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Mental note: continue to not own an asus motherboard.
unfa

Post by unfa »

Yes, that's quite an anti-feature.

Secure Boot made my systems fail to run, but not from the start - it has cut them off after a while and it looked like a hardware failure.

I was able to run PassMark's Memtest86 but only in Legacy Mode (UEFI mode failed). I was able to install Windows 10 and I was able to boot StressLinux in Failsafe mode and perform some tests. I was able to install Debian, but not run it.

Memtest86 has gone through 8 tests without an error, so I was sure my RAM is fine.

So now the Realtek Ethernet interface doesn't work, even though it's listed by lspci.

Also - Kernel 4.10 (lowlatency, that's what I had in apt cache on another machine to install quickly) seems to not boot at all. Generic 4.4 runs fine.

I'm going to try Kernel 4.11 and see what I get.

PS: I've built kernel 3.16 and it detects my ethernet interface, but is unable to connect for some reason.
Last edited by unfa on Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

You should not be using low latency kernels for general usage. The linux-generic kernel is the one to use. Be careful as Ubuntu handles kernels differently than Mint. The meta-packages are different In Mint, you need to use teh updater tool to install and select a kernel.

In *buntus, the command on 16.04 systems is as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge
I'm still puzzled because Ryzen can boot under 4.4 kernel. Your problem is earlier in the boot sequence with failure of initramfs

As for the UEFI issue, my previous board was an Asus m5a97 EVO, and there was a simple command to disable secure boot in the BIOS.

If you are really stuck, try installing in legacy mode by disabling all EFI booting. Finally, as a last resort, if you can, palce the drive to hold Linux in another PC, do the install, and move the drive over. Clearly your board is extremely different from my b350 tomahawk
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Sorry, last question, what is your m.2 drive?
unfa

Post by unfa »

My M.2 drive is a Transcend device, 2242 size, SATA interface, 256 GB capacity.

Looks like Linux Mint 18.1 is stripped off some basic packages like libc6-dev required to build a kernel. I had to build the kernel on my laptop (also running Linux Mint 18.1, but for some reason it worked - I probably installed that for some other purpose earlier). It all shows itself when you don't have an Internet connection, and installing anything is a real pain in the butt.

The custom-built 3.16 works, I have a higher screen res and ethernet interface detected, but it fails to connect to my home network and just keeps retrying.

For whatever reason if I install Kernel 4.10 or newer, my system boots to a black screen.

As for lowlatency kernels: I use them as I do a lot of audio work with JACK, Ardour and such, but of course I will try a generic one first to just get it working, and then I can play around to optimize things.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Did you try the Ubuntu net install?

Also make sure your m.2 slot is in SATA mode. M.2 drives can be PCI-E (nvme) or SATA (ahci). Your BIOS may have a switch for that.

I have the same Transcend card in my laptop with Mint 18.1 KDE installed on it. The device should be recognizeable.
unfa

Post by unfa »

No, the M.2 drive works fine. Secure Boot was causing all this trouble.

I made a little thread to archive what I've found in case someone needs help with a similar problem:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=245987
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I'm probably going to join the Ryzen revolution soon too. Normally i use Gigabyte motherboards but i've read they don't work well with Linux.

So my main issue is working out what motherboard people suggest to work with a Linux Mint and Ryzen build (that may also end up as a dual-boot with Windows 7)? I don't need the Crossfire/SLI stuff so it will likely be a B350 based board rather than the X370.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Ryzen folks here will have some sound suggestions.
A second avenue is heading over to newegg and browsing the boards. Check out the reviews on each board, using the keyword search for reviews. Use words like linux and ubuntu.

The asrock fatality b350 i just tried this. It showed 1 review that basically said hes 100% works with kernel 4.10.

Just dont be in a hurry :D
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

ZakGordon wrote:I'm probably going to join the Ryzen revolution soon too. Normally i use Gigabyte motherboards but i've read they don't work well with Linux.

So my main issue is working out what motherboard people suggest to work with a Linux Mint and Ryzen build (that may also end up as a dual-boot with Windows 7)? I don't need the Crossfire/SLI stuff so it will likely be a B350 based board rather than the X370.
Built my massive system to run Virtualbox - Windows client, Linux Mint host. I used the Asus Prime x370 / x1800 and everything worked right out of the box with LM18.1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813132964

I also run a RX480 Video card and a SSD drive for the operating system.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Citizen229 wrote:Ryzen folks here will have some sound suggestions.
A second avenue is heading over to newegg and browsing the boards. Check out the reviews on each board, using the keyword search for reviews. Use words like linux and ubuntu.

The asrock fatality b350 i just tried this. It showed 1 review that basically said hes 100% works with kernel 4.10.

Just dont be in a hurry :D
The gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 looks nice. But I believe it has the newer realtek 1220 audio.

My MSI b350 tomahawk is full compatible with Linux, but the board is very finicky about memory timings.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Yes my example was not the greatest. to make my statement more accurate:

I have witnessed in the newegg reviews, folks doing complete writeups on how to make a specific item work in Linux. Complete with command lines to run etc. I usually take reviews worth a grain of salt. But if someone goes to that much effort, then I would be comfortable with being able to get that product working correctly. Life is still life though,even with research it can still be hit or miss.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

After quite a bit of digging around i found this youtube review of the various current B350 mobo's and their VRM issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI

It seems for a Ryzen 7 or if OC'ing a Ryzen 5 hard, you might need to use the X370 boards over the current B350's, especially if water cooling over air (the air coolers cool the VRM's which watercooling can miss etc).

Edit: Also this reddit about Ryzen and Memory could be handy too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6 ... atibility/
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have the X370 Gaming K7 by Gigabyte. I tried to install and got a GRUB error, but I am pretty sure that was a dying hard drive. I am averaging one BSOD a day with WIndows 10 which is pissing me off badly. I think that I have finally gotten it narrowed to a video card issue with the ASUS GTX 1060 6 gb card. Does anyone know if I can get Mint 18.1 up and running or will I have to do some Kernel magic first? I have 32 gb of G.Skill Flare X DDR4 2400 ram in the system, which the board is supposed to handle well. MY boot drive is a 512gb Western Digital black NVME drive, which just screams. Fast, really fast.
Last edited by MurphCID on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

4.10 kernel for the ryzen and 375 drivers from driver manager for the gtx 1060.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Sounds like could be an issue. If it won't load or run update to get the 4.10 Kernel..... I am a complete newb at Linux, so compiling Kernels is beyond my extremely modest talents.
Citizen229 wrote:4.10 kernel for the ryzen and 375 drivers from driver manager for the gtx 1060.

Return to “Chat about Linux”