Unwanted transparency in some menu/title bars...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ght_web

Unwanted transparency in some menu/title bars...

Post by ght_web »

Hello, I'm using Cinnamon on a Ubuntu guest and experiencing some unwanted transparency issues in the menu/title bars. Note that the issue does not appear when using Unity or gnome. Here are some details:

Host: VMWARE Worktstation
Guest:
Cinnamon 2.8.6 (note: also tried latest version of Cinnamon)
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
4.8.0-41-generic
Theme: Cinnamon with Ambiance Borders, Humanity Icons, Ambiance Controls, Adwaita Pointer.

Problem Description:
- Most Application titlebars have some degree of transparency.
- Sometimes fonts in overlapping windows apprear jagged and rough
Please see attached image...Note that the terminal window does not posses the problem where as the nemo window does - but it's not limited to nemo....
transparency.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unwanted transparency in some menu/title bars...

Post by austin.texas »

Are you using the original Ambiance or an updated version? The original has not been updated for a couple of years, and you can expect problems with that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
sysrage

Post by sysrage »

I suspect this has something to do with VMware Workstation. I just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 in VMware Workstation. With the default install, I am encountering these incorrectly transparent windows. It's more than just the menu/title bar, too. Some windows are partially transparent in the middle of the window.

Please post if you find a solution. I'd like to stick with Cinnamon, but it's not very user friendly at the moment.

EDIT: I just found the following, which indicates the issue is resolved with VMware Workstation 12. I only have version 10, so I can't confirm.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4870
byggwir

Post by byggwir »

I can confirm this. I had Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 on a VMware Workstation Player with the problem.
Manually setting virtualHW.version="12" in the *.vmx solved it for me. Player was version 12 but the vmx had the line with version 11.
kuzja

Post by kuzja »

I am afraid the above does not fully solve the problem.

I experience the same behaviour as described by ght_web, with the following configuration:
VMware Workstation Player 12.5.7
Host: Linux Mint 17.1 (64 bit), Cinnamon 2.4.8
Guest: Linux Mint 18.2 (64 bit), Cinnamon 3.4.3
VMware Tools 10.1.6 successfully installed
*.vmx file for the Guest contains virtualHW.version = "12" (no need to edit, was already there)

For now, the only way I found to remove the problem is to run Guest without HW acceleration. But it is of course not the desirable solution...
Any ideas welcome.
dozham

Post by dozham »

Facing the same issue over here. Running on Software Rendering mode solves the issue but the GUI becomes a bit laggy.
Changing

Code: Select all

virtualHW.version
in .vmx file didn't help neither.
Guest: Linux Mint 18.2 64bit
VMWare 11.0.0 build-2305329

Return to “Chat about Linux”