Old Computer Resurrection

Chat about Linux in general
KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

Old Computer Resurrection

Post by KamenRiderNecro » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Greetings, all! Don't laugh too hard at me for what I'm about to go into detail with, here, please?

I have an old Toshiba Satellite lap top here at the house that I have decided to resurrect as a Linux/Ubuntu machine. I need a new battery for it, which will be easily procured, and a dear friend who just replaced her old laptop is allowing me to cannibalize the HDD and RAM from her old machine to this end. The machine has an Intel Celeron processor and is still running Windows XP, and I think that firing it up with more RAM (I'm pretty sure her old machine has at least 4GB worth) will help it out as well.

Now the important question; what iteration of Ubuntu do y'all think would be good for this project? I know it will likely be 32-bit, I know that much, but what flavor of Ubuntu itself do you think would work well on this thing? Thank you all in advance.
"Is that gasoline I smell, Mr. Gideon?"

"Jalapeno, what a headache!"

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Old Computer Resurrection

Post by TooMuchTime » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 am

Well, you may be able to run 64-bit but that depends on the system. Do a web search for your specific laptop model and see if it is 64-bit capable. If so, download whichever 64-bit version of Mint you like. Xfce is a bit less resource intensive and would run fine with 4GiB of RAM. Mate would probably be fine as well. Cinnamon is more resource heavy and KDE is the most resource intensive. I would not recommend Cinnamon or KDE on the Toshiba. However, it is your call.

When you partition the HD, you may want to include a /home partition. This will make updating to a newer version easier. I've created my partitions like this (all of this does depend on the size of the HD):

/boot - 1GiB should be sufficient. I have Cinnamon 18.0 and my boot partition has 385MiB used.
swap - Since it's a laptop, double your RAM and add a 1GiB for overhead. Remember that hibernation uses the swap space.
/ (root) - Your apps go here. Mine is 25Gib and after a year of installing stuff I have 7.5GiB used. 25-40GiB is fine.
/home - The remainder of your drive. This is where your home folders will be installed.

Your home will hold all of your customizations as well as your data. If you want to upgrade to a newer version, you can do a full reinstall just don't format the /home partition. Your data and customizations will be safe. And if you run into any problems, just come back here and ask a question in the correct forum. We'll do our best to help.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:45 am

Depending upon which Celeron processor you have, it may or may not run Mint. But if it will, it will definitely be XFCE or maybe MATE. I have installed Mint XFCE on single core processors, and as long as you're not expecting miracles, it does work OK. If you find that Mint is too much for your particular computer, MX will run on pretty limited hardware, and antiX will run on really limited hardware. If you can get the computer to boot to the "Live" DVD or USB stick, open a terminal, maximize it to avoid cutting off long lines, then enter inxi -Fxz and copy/paste the output in your next post here. That will tell us what your computer is actually capable of.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KamenRiderNecro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 am

Hello, and thanks for the input so far!

I was going to make this a regular Ubuntu machine, myself, and I was thinking a 32-bit MATE desktop for it. I may have to use a DVD for it since attempts to make it boot from USB have failed so far--it won't let me reset the boot order with the USB key. I'm sure there's got to be a way to do that.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

Mod note:
Since this is not about Mint, I'm moving it to Chat about Linux.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I forget does xp have a search bar on the start menu? if so Dxdiag in the search bar will give cpu specs ram etc.

I run XFCE very well on a 1.6 singlecore netbook with 1 gig ram being shared for video. internet slow, stream video is not going to happen. Playing video files is ok.
KamenRiderNecro wrote:Hello, and thanks for the input so far!

I was going to make this a regular Ubuntu machine, myself, and I was thinking a 32-bit MATE desktop for it. I may have to use a DVD for it since attempts to make it boot from USB have failed so far--it won't let me reset the boot order with the USB key. I'm sure there's got to be a way to do that.
Some of those vendor mobos are very limiting. sometimes boot order gets changed in the bios. Sometimes F(something, usually 12?) for a specific menu for boot priority. and if the laptop is that old, it may not even have usb boot(bios update?) DVD would be the sure fire way to do this on very old hardware.

Dont forget 4 gigs RAM is the limit for 32 bit.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 pm

I have several Toshiba Satellites running LM Cinnamon 64 in 17.3, 18.0, and 18.1. They all run fine One a U205 is running Windex xp pro 32, dual booting with LM17.3 Cinnamon 64. It has 2 GIG of ram with a 500 gig HDD. It is fast enough for live video and I use it for video conferencing. I use the Winbdex for old CAD programs and other things that are Windex only. I am running Libreoffice in Windex instead of MS Office. I also uninstalled the Windex browser and put in Pale Moon. 90% of the time I am running LM.

KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KamenRiderNecro » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Citizen229 wrote:I forget does xp have a search bar on the start menu? if so Dxdiag in the search bar will give cpu specs ram etc.

I run XFCE very well on a 1.6 singlecore netbook with 1 gig ram being shared for video. internet slow, stream video is not going to happen. Playing video files is ok.
KamenRiderNecro wrote:Hello, and thanks for the input so far!

Some of those vendor mobos are very limiting. sometimes boot order gets changed in the bios. Sometimes F(something, usually 12?) for a specific menu for boot priority. and if the laptop is that old, it may not even have usb boot(bios update?) DVD would be the sure fire way to do this on very old hardware.

Dont forget 4 gigs RAM is the limit for 32 bit.
Thank you for the input! I wasn't aware of the RAM limit for 32-bit, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm considering sticking the mobo and processor from the ASUS laptop I'm cannibalizing for this operation in there as well, as I'm thinking that would help. I'm reasonably sure it's a 64-bit system, but I can always double check that. With DVD booting, will it start automatically or will I still have to rearrange the boot order?

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:37 pm

You would have to change boot order to have the dvd drive first.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Return to “Chat about Linux”