Linux On An iPod?

Chat about Linux in general
Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Linux On An iPod?

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm

My friend says the software on his iPod is having trouble being detected when he tries to sync music onto his computer. There is some trouble with the software crashing a lot, then when trying to reboot the computer would not detect it. So far as I know the warranty is out, but I heard that you can put Linux on an iPod and I'm thinking that if we can't fix it that I would do a little homework and make his iPod into an embedded Linux project. Since I would be working with another persns property, what are the risks involved? How would I go about doing this? Is there anywhere I can find any help with the already installed Apple software?
Life's too short to keep things in their "out-of-the-box" condition....

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux On An iPod?

Postby Husse » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:45 am

In this case I really think google is your friend (and Yahoo, and....)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:14 am

I'm still looking into it, but we're both glad he has all his songs backed up in his external HD....

deannali
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deannali » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:53 am

What is the difference between a regular IPod and and IPod Shuffle? My daughter's birthday is right around the corner and I wanted to get her an IPod but they are quite expensive. Is an IPod shuffle good for an 11 year old?
Last edited by deannali on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:11 am

These days the iPod shuffle is so tiny and easy to lose. Also, if I may step on my soapbox, it is wrong for Apple to have such a large market dominance in the music player market--others need a piece of the pie. It may be a good idea to look into good quality iPod alternatives out there. My favorite brand and Apple competitor is Creative Labs, and having their Creative Zen Stone (around $40) for more than two years it showed that it has good Linux support and even better bang for your buck in overall quality. If you do decide to get her a cheaper iPod alternative, expect bratty kids to be cruel to her for not keeping up w/ the rest of the herd (I mean, they did it to me when I went to theology school!). Other than that, no worries.
Attachments
Zen Stones.jpg
Zen Stones.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Last edited by Gunmetal_Ghoul on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:23 am

deannali wrote:What is the difference between a regular IPod and and IPod Shuffle? My daughter's birthday is right around the corner and I wanted to get her an IPod but they are quite expensive. Is an IPod shuffle good for an 11 year old?

Ooops,that darn soapbox! The main difference between a regular iPod and an iPod Shuffle besides the size is the Shuffle stores all the music files in a flash memory system (like a USB drive or my EEE PC's solid state drive) while regular iPods are larger and carry more memory in a specially designed hard drive. I hope this has been of help and that everything goes well for your daughter's birthday!

afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby afraca » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 am

I made my iPod video (30gb) a dual-boot iPod. It can dualboot in apple default OS, and rockbox. Rockbox is not linux, I know that, but it is a apple OS replacement. Linux is available for iPod, but the interface is, as far as I know, quite horrible. That's why I chose Rockbox. If you choose for dualboot, I can help you with that. I would recommend installing rockbox, then overwriting rockbox default bootloader with ipodloader (2.5 ? ), as it bit more customizable.

Return to “Chat about Linux”