How can I dual Boot Mint and TAILS?

Chat about Linux in general
mattzab
Level 1
Level 1

How can I dual Boot Mint and TAILS?

Post by mattzab »

Hello,

I currently single-boot Linux Mint, and have been doing so for some time now- and love it.

I'd like to dual-boot TAILS with Mint.
I want TAILS to be live every time I use it, so here's my thought:

Install TAILS on a USB, use Clonezilla to copy it, then make a 4GB partition for TAILS to sit, then modify my bootloader to treat that like a live USB.
Would this work? I would want TAILS to run as if it's live- ie. no persistence. And I'd want it to be able to see my other partitions that Mint runs on.

In Mint I will be disabling all wireless connections and continue to use it as my primary OS, booting into TAILS when I need to venture online somewhere. I simply need to be able to do this without any form of removable media being involved.

Possible? Bad idea? Feedback and thoughts?

Thank you.
MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How can I dual Boot Mint and TAILS?

Post by MintyO »

mattzab wrote:.........

Possible? Bad idea? Feedback and thoughts?

Thank you.
Seems like a contradiction to me, to not have internet on your main OS. And the reason for why you're doing it would be nice to hear (just out of curiosity).

Anyways, this might be what you want: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=237747&p=1266945#p1266356 I'm planning to use it someday in the future when an interesting distro appears for a test drive.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I don't think they recommend installing Tails on your hard drive. They recommend that you run it from a DVD or USB stick. Yes, that means removable media, but that is the safest way to do it. You might try enabling the firewall on Mint, and running all programs that need internet access in firejail.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

I have to echo the sentiments raised above.

Why would you want to install TAILS permanently onto your hardware when the whole point is to not take over and alter your hardware (i.e. data on your hard drive)? It makes no sense to me.

If you're concerned about Internet privacy and, for example, the recent law passed in the U.S. about Internet privacy, just switch your browsing habits over to Tor, and change your behavior as they recommend there.
Your humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Return to “Chat about Linux”