Lightweight distros for old computers

Chat about Linux in general
Artim
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lightweight distros for old computers

Post by Artim » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:55 am

Moem wrote:
Artim wrote:I have a similar machine running LXLE. It's very slow, but actually functional.
Well, if it boots, it boots... the problem so far is a total lack of ability to boot any Linux-based OS that I've tried. Is there any reason to believe that LXLE would not get the same kernel panic that I've now seen happening before getting to boot Mint XFCE 32-bits, Lubuntu, Bodhi Legacy and MX16?
If there is, I'll be happy to try it.

How similar is your similar machine?
Hand-me-down Dell Dimension desktop - not a laptop (maybe that's the difference?). 512 of ram, Celeron processor. Used to run Windows XP when XP was new. I can't really do better than that with info, since it's all disconnected and gathering dust in a closet. I have a newly-acquired hand-me-down with 8 times the power now, running Linux Mint Sylvia XFCE.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Well, as they say, shiver me timbers and call me Bluebeard! I took the 2GB out and put the old 512 MB back in, and managed to install MX on the thing. Thanks for the pointer, JoeFootball!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Moem wrote:Thanks for the pointer, JoeFootball!
You're welcome. :) I figured it was the RAM because you said XP ran when the 512 MB was in there, but then wouldn't boot with the 2 GB, nor any of the other distros you tried as well.

Joe

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 am

1 gig mobo limit? My netbook runs 18.1 xfce with 1.6 atom and 512 ram. 1 gig is only upgrade path for it. If i remember right alot of preconfig systems were the same back then.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Citizen229 wrote:1 gig mobo limit? My netbook runs 18.1 xfce with 1.6 atom and 512 ram. 1 gig is only upgrade path for it. If i remember right alot of preconfig systems were the same back then.
Adding some swap might speed it up a bit. I would max that out to 1gb ram. It will add usable life to it and make your life less frustrating :)

aledie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aledie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Moem wrote:Well, I have a bit of a headscratcher here...
I inherited another pavement tile: it's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A7620 (Athlon XP-M). 32-bits, non-PAE. Great machine as long as you want to use it for hand-to-hand combat as it weighs a tonne. It came with XP, which booted, and with 512 MB of RAM; I found 2 x1 GB of DDR 333MHz memory, which it sees in BIOS. But it can't boot anymore because XP throws a fit before it gets to a desktop. So I tried Mint XFCE 32-bits, Lubuntu, Bodhi Legacy, MX16... all of which reliably ended with a kernel panic before a full boot was accomplished. The only OS that will boot to a partial desktop is Knoppix 3.6 and even then it won't run any commands.

Maybe this one really *is* too old?
Moem, have you tried Antix (https://antixlinux.com/)? It is the lightest around which is still quite usable and not ugly (IceWM, JWM, Fluxbox), unless you are into Puppies, Damnsmall etc. I have it running on an old DELL Inspiron 700m (y 2004), Pentium M 725 / 1.6 GHz/ Intel 855GME/ RAM 1 Gb. It is Debian based and performs quite well except Firefox needs to be replaced by something lighter like Palemoon and Libreoffice maybe by Abiword+Gnumeric (otherwise CPU jumps to 100% while starting these 2 apps for a while). It is running better than MX-16 (which is based on Antix but heavier) or LXLE on that machine. 150 Mb RAM after boot, but bit heavier on CPU.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:09 pm

aledie wrote:Moem, have you tried Antix (https://antixlinux.com/)? It is the lightest around which is still quite usable and not ugly (IceWM, JWM, Fluxbox), unless you are into Puppies, Damnsmall etc.
Well, the thing can handle 2GB, so there should be plenty of options. It's now doing pretty well with the original 512 MB.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”