(SOLVED) Where to report Nemo, Banshee issues?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED) Where to report Nemo, Banshee issues?

Post by alquimista »

Hi,

I'm testing other distros, like KDE Neon; there I installed Nemo and Banshee, yet both have execution issues in Neon; I see Banshee is not in development any more; Nemo is a Nautilus extension for Mint. Where is the best place to report these issues, and see of a possible solution, or bug fixing?

Thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where to report Nemo, Banshee issues?

Post by xenopeek »

As far as I know Banshee is dead since mid 2014. It's artificially kept alive by distro maintainers, like Ubuntu and Linux Mint maintainers, that just do the absolute bare minimum to keep Banshee working on newer releases of their distro (like recompile it against newer versions of libraries). No development is being done so there isn't anybody to report bugs to. In my opinion the distro maintainers are doing their users a disservice by letting dead software rot in their repositories. It should be removed. Linux Mint no longer installs Banshee by default; Rhythmbox is the default now. I suggest you find an alternative media player to meet your needs. In any case, KDE Neon 5.9 being based on Ubuntu 16.04 uses Banshee from the Ubuntu repositories.

As for Nemo, then you do not have a bug to report but you have caused some problem yourself. I just installed Nemo on KDE Neon 5.9 and it works without issue.

All I did was sudo apt update && sudo apt install nemo. I welcome you to describe your problem here (like what happens when you start Nemo from the menu, what happens when you start it from Konsole, and such) and perhaps somebody can help you figure out the cause of the problem on your end.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

No development is being done so there isn't anybody to report bugs to. In my opinion the distro maintainers are doing their users a disservice by letting dead software rot in their repositories. It should be removed. Linux Mint no longer installs Banshee by default; Rhythmbox is the default now
Ok thx; replaced by Rhythmbox
As for Nemo, then you do not have a bug to report but you have caused some problem yourself.
Not that useful answer, but thank you any way
This is the problem I have with Nemo
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=139819
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The default is for Nemo to handle the desktop icons and wallpaper. When you close the last Nemo window it would also kill that. On Cinnamon Nemo autostarts after you login and runs in the background, so that you do not have this issue. The autostart file is /usr/share/applications/nemo-autostart.desktop and it is configured to only do this on Cinnamon and only if the dconf setting org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons is true. Remember: while you may be able to use Nemo on other desktop environments, it is developed as the file manager for Cinnamon. Editing the autostart file to make it work on KDE may work but I don't know what you have to disable to stop whatever process handles the desktop icons and wallpaper normally on KDE.

The better idea is to edit the menu launcher for Nemo (use KDE's menu editor) and change the command to start nemo from nemo %U to nemo --no-desktop %U. That will avoid Nemo from taking control of the desktop icons and wallpaper.

Alternatively you can create the file /usr/local/bin/nemo (e.g. with command kdesudo kate /usr/local/bin/nemo and put this in it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/nemo --no-desktop $*
Close and save the file and then run sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/nemo and now anytime you start Nemo (from the menu, from krunner or from konsole) it will have that --no-desktop option added.

Not a bug :wink:
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

xenopeek wrote: The better idea is to edit the menu launcher for Nemo (use KDE's menu editor) and change the command to start nemo from nemo %U to nemo --no-desktop %U. That will avoid Nemo from taking control of the desktop icons and wallpaper.
Thank you, now it works
jgold
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (SOLVED) Where to report Nemo, Banshee issues?

Post by jgold »

Bugs for Nemo on Cinnamon are entered in github here: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, but as detailed it wasn't a bug. It's often more useful to ask for support here first. The developers have only so much time and there are many more knowledgable people here on the forum to help with issues.
jgold
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgold »

:twisted:
xenopeek wrote:Yes, but as detailed it wasn't a bug. It's often more useful to ask for support here first. The developers have only so much time and there are many more knowledgable people here on the forum to help with issues.
I don't disagree but as someone who was looking for the answer as to where to report issues, I was disappointed that this (solved) thread didn't have that answer. When I found the answer, I went ahead and posted it here in case it comes up in someone else's search.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The default is for Nemo to handle the desktop icons and wallpaper.
@xenopeek, This isn't exactly true anymore. Nemo hasn't handled displaying the wallpaper for quite a long time. Nautilus on the other hand does.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux”