Anyone using DuckDuckGo...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Anyone using DuckDuckGo...

Post by BG405 »

I've been using DDG since Dogpile turned into a dog's pile. I object to Google's business model of data-mining for profit without regard to privacy and its statement that anything you upload can be used and propagated by them, even if they claim they don't actually take ownership.

DDG seems to provide decent enough and (hopefully) unbiased results, without being bombarded with advertisements.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Vanilla Lumina

Post by Vanilla Lumina »

After reading this thread I might actually use it again, yeah the main thing I like about DDG is the clean interface even if I didn't tried the search for a while.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Vanilla Lumina wrote:DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to find what I'm looking for all the time, and something tells me it builds part of its results from Bing's search, but the !bang system is definitely an innovative idea and I like it.

Unfortunately this has been my experience as well. I wish that the search results of DuckDuckGo fit my needs but on a scientific level they fall way short.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

I'm using DDG since an early Mint introduced me to it. At first it felt very odd to use such a seemingly stripped-down search engine, but when I really got to know it, ddg became a permanent part of my life. I use the !bang searches all the time. And it's refreshing not to have a bunch of pointless ads cluttering my screen.
wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wxboss »

Rocky Bennett wrote:
Vanilla Lumina wrote:DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to find what I'm looking for all the time, and something tells me it builds part of its results from Bing's search, but the !bang system is definitely an innovative idea and I like it.

Unfortunately this has been my experience as well. I wish that the search results of DuckDuckGo fit my needs but on a scientific level they fall way short.
Google's 'science' is built upon user information/data. The more you give them, the more scientific their results will be - the less you give them, the more you are in control of your own information.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

linux-dummie wrote:!bang searches
I had no idea about this until reading this thread, although I've been using search terms like "<question regarding someihing in KDE> site:forums.linuxmint.com" for a while since it gets round the issue of the forum software filtering crucial search terms, such as "KDE". :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

For scientists, try https://www.wolframalpha.com/
Vanilla Lumina

Post by Vanilla Lumina »

wxboss wrote:
Rocky Bennett wrote:

Google's 'science' is built upon user information/data. The more you give them, the more scientific their results will be - the less you give them, the more you are in control of your own information.
Good analogy, that makes me want to change immediately :)
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

wxboss wrote:
Rocky Bennett wrote:

No, I was referring to using a search engine to look up topics that relate to specific branches and concepts in science.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

me_1 wrote:For scientists, try https://www.wolframalpha.com/

Thanks, I'll look at this.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In addition to Startpage, Qwant is good for privacy and search results.
Qwant ensures that your privacy is protected, and this is the cornerstone of our philosophy.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am wondering if using the DDG search ( http://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=%s ) still adds revenue for Linux Mint ?
Clem's comments :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93724&start=20#p683068
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Don't know how to use the !bangs, whatever they're called, and their difference between normal searches.
Don't know how they can help when your search for some tutorials is exhausted, for example.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

!g searches anonymized google from DDG. And there are more Bangs, !b is bing
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

I'm using ddg and sp and trying to give up using google services (and microsoft). :D
SixString

Post by SixString »

I've started having a problem with domain-specific searches. For example, if I search DDG using "site=sitename.com/sub1 <searchterm>" I used to get only results from sitename.com/sub1. Now, I'm getting results from everywhere within the base domain, in other words, everything under sitename.com.

This is new behavior. Has anyone else experienced it, and if so, found a way to get back to subdomain-specific searches?

Thanks.
JChristensen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JChristensen »

Another satisfied DDG user here. I use it almost exclusively, save the very rare occurrence where I don't seem to get the results I want, then I'll try something else.
Penn

Post by Penn »

SixString wrote:I've started having a problem with domain-specific searches. For example, if I search DDG using "site=sitename.com/sub1 <searchterm>" I used to get only results from sitename.com/sub1. Now, I'm getting results from everywhere within the base domain, in other words, everything under sitename.com.

This is new behavior. Has anyone else experienced it, and if so, found a way to get back to subdomain-specific searches?

Thanks.
Try a colon instead of equal. ":" not "="

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=sixstrin ... com&ia=web
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Thanks for all the answers.
I've been okay with DuckDuckGo. It's been my homepage.
Not perfect but will probably get better overtime.
Startpage still got traces of Google to me.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rick gen wrote:Startpage still got traces of Google to me.
What do you mean by this?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”