Keep taking the tablets!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catgate

Keep taking the tablets!

Post by catgate »

Management is interested in the purchase of a "tablet". She is also, like me, more or less "wedded" to LInux.
I would like to ask if anyone knows a) Is there a tablet that is sold with Linux as it's operating system?

or b) is there any way of swapping the existing O.S.( windows?) for Mint ?

Doesn't life get complicated!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Keep taking the tablets!

Post by MintBean »

I think you'll find Mint a poor choice for a tablet unless you plan on using it with a keyboard and mouse.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

UBports is maintaining Ubuntu Touch, and iirc, some of the supported hardware are tablets.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you will be right out of luck, with a Tablet,
as they generally come loaded with Android & are locked to Google.

there is a few that can to rooted, but not many of them.
ie: you you can place a secondary system onto them.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

It's possible to run at least a live session of Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon is the one I tried & both 64-bit and 32-bit versions* will boot from USB) on the Microsoft Linx tablets. I haven't yet gotten round to actually installing it so can not confirm how well it works.

Touchscreen works on the Linx tablets but the people who design these things seem to think we want to use them in landscape mode (which is obviously not compatible with traditional video formats or many software programs) and rotating the display does not also rotate the touchscreen in this case. This may be an issue but it might have been resolved in Mint 18.x versions. I haven't tried these yet but am planning to give it a go with LM18.1 KDE. I know it is an issue with 2-in-1 hybrid "tabtops" (a name invention of mine?).

Inbuilt WiFi doesn't work out of the box with 17.3 - may work with later versions. Again I haven't checked. A USB dongle works OK using an OTG hub, also with a keyboard and mouse connected.

A mouse and keyboard is, IMHO, essential for any serious & / or practical use of these devices anyway.

* By adding "bootia32.efi" to the relevant directory as these tablets have 32-bit UEFI. Both 32-bit & 64-bit OSs can run with this in UEFI mode. CSM appears to be useless, simply won't boot.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”