Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Chat about Linux in general
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Post by borg101 »

As the subject states, I would like to know what people think is the single biggest issue, in their opinion, keeping Linux from being adopted by the masses. Yes, I know many people use Linux. I'm talking about grandma down the street or families without techie relatives far down the family tree, etc. I'd like to get a few big ideas....one per person, please....then take those and create a poll.

Please be kind. No need to defend your position to others. That's not what I intend to do with this discussion thread.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Post by JerryF »

Hmmm, it's hard to come up with just one because usually, there are several factors, but...

In my opinion, I think that if home computers had Linux (Mint) already installed, with a lower price than Windows (and especially Macs), Linux would be more mainstream. Your average home user doesn't want to deal with downloading an OS, burning the ISO file to DVD or creating a USB flash drive, and installing the OS.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Post by Hoser Rob »

A lack of support, both hardware and software.

Want a REALLY comprehensive answer? Written by someone who actually knows what they're talking about?
- Don't say I didn't warn you:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.lin ... rrent.html

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I do NOT want Linux to become more mainstream !
Then the money hungry leeches sneak in from the sewers ! :evil:

borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

richyrich wrote:I do NOT want Linux to become more mainstream !
While your sentiment is shared by many, that's part of the beauty of the "culture of Linux". Developers....aka "money hungry leeches" could develop for a large distro like Ubuntu, and the culture....aka users/OSS developers....could port what they want with greater ease to different distros.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

pacho37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pacho37 »

If i remember correctly Linus Torvalds himself is of the opinion that the biggest obstacle is lack of computers with preinstalled Linux available for purchase. I think that by and large that's true,
since most people really don't care what OS they are running (and many probably don't even know what an OS is) as long as they can browse the internet, log into facebook, write and print something, listen to music and watch videos.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64 Bit

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Fractured communities is the biggest reason. The biggest benefit about linux is the many different options. This is also its downfall, as that is also many different ways features and software need debugged and ported to work on everything. Ubuntus unified desktop could have worked had they not set a goal of unifying devices. Had they rather tried to "unify" linux to set a base standard... linux may have very well taken off. Steam is trying to work the gaming sector with steam OS. but in itself it is just another distro. Until inux is actually downsized, manufacturers are not going to be in any hurry to start supporting.

think about it for a minute. Take 50% of all the devs for all the distros, and get them working on an OS. Man that would be one debugged, stable and attractive OS. Something maybe software and manufacturers might care about?
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

richyrich wrote:I do NOT want Linux to become more mainstream !
Indeed. "Let's write Linux packages for fun and profit!"

Mint was the first Linux publisher I sent money to. If I ever start working again, I'll send more. ;)

Problem is, Linux is an OS designed by a committee...

Each developer has his own idea what it should be. This is not a bad thing, and useful distributions come from it.
But getting packages to play well with all is the issue. What works well or has more features in one may not be so great in another.

And the biggest thing is, people are brought up mostly on Windows, and some on OSx. Linux is a different animal for sure. When I fisrt started I was a Windows 'expert' (I was the OS Go To guy when I was at GE).
Took one look at Linux and went, "Huh??? Why isn't my stuff in 'USR'? What's this HOME thingy? WHERE ARE MY PROGRAMS?!?!?!"
Took a long while, and then you swap distributions..."NOW where are my programs?!?!?! Why is this lib here, and all the others are there? Why does THIS get it's own folder in root???"
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Lack of applications.

Many have a Linux equivalent that we Linux lovers use. But the "average Joe" wants the original (e.g. Photoshop, not Gimp). They are not invested enough in Linux to put forth the effort to learn something new.

Sometimes it is hard/impossible to find a replacement.

Not being pre-installed is a problem as well.. but not nearly as much as in the past. Installing Linux on a machine used to be pretty rough back when I started, but not so for a while now.
Mint 19.1 MATE x64

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

pacho37 wrote:If i remember correctly Linus Torvalds himself is of the opinion that the biggest obstacle is lack of computers with preinstalled Linux available for purchase. I think that by and large that's true
I agree with Linus and you. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moem wrote:
pacho37 wrote:If i remember correctly Linus Torvalds himself is of the opinion that the biggest obstacle is lack of computers with preinstalled Linux available for purchase. I think that by and large that's true
I agree with Linus and you. :)

And I agree with Linus, him and you!

At one time Microsoft had a lock on the OS world, as they were charging a fee for every computer sold in the US. They argued that computers sold in the US without an operating system would most likely have a bootleg copy of DOS, and that they should get some revenue from these bootleg copies. They got away with it for quite a while, too. Luckily I was working for a large company with deep pockets, so I had DOS, Win 3.11 and Office, all licensed...all legit.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I think the biggest hurdle is simply inertia. The computer came with Windows, it works (sort of), and people don't want to make any effort to do anything else with their computer. Oddly enough, people don't even seem to be concerned when Microsoft has full access to your computer and every program or file on it. They don't even seem to mind that the EULA gives Microsoft the right to share your data with their "trusted partners." Nor do they mind Microsoft putting advertisements in the application Menu, and God only knows where else. (All this is just beyond me!) But once they've had a chance to play with Linux, many of them are hooked. I did a Linux/Open Source presentation at the computer club at the local senior center recently, and I'm sure some of those will take the leap.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Nah , I was thinking more on the lines of spying, data collecting apps and sneaky malware entering the linux domain.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimallyn wrote:I think the biggest hurdle is simply inertia. The computer came with Windows, it works (sort of), and people don't want to make any effort to do anything else with their computer. Oddly enough, people don't even seem to be concerned when Microsoft has full access to your computer and every program or file on it. They don't even seem to mind that the EULA gives Microsoft the right to share your data with their "trusted partners." Nor do they mind Microsoft putting advertisements in the application Menu, and God only knows where else. (All this is just beyond me!) But once they've had a chance to play with Linux, many of them are hooked. I did a Linux/Open Source presentation at the computer club at the local senior center recently, and I'm sure some of those will take the leap.

Ja. I stopped at 7...well, 8, but I installed Linus over it after playing with it for a week. Ugh. I just can't imagine ads in File Manager, especially since if you buy your own copy you're paying $200 for it. Give it to me for $29.95 and I'll put up with ads. :roll:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

richyrich wrote:Nah , I was thinking more on the lines of spying, data collecting apps and sneaky malware entering the linux domain.
Hmmm...got any examples?

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Linux is not the OS; it is just the kernel. The rest of the components which round out the thing give you some sort of more qualified name. By default, absent a reference to some specific distribution, the nominal platform as a whole is properly called GNU+Linux (or, formerly, GNU/Linux).

Nevertheless, the general platform — desktop environments, additional subsystem components, and the like notwithstanding — has already taken over. More smart phones and tablets are running an overall platform based on that than are such devices running iOS, Windows Mobile, etc.

When taken as a whole, there are now more such devices sold per year than there are Windows-based desktops sold per year.

This obviously does not address the issue of platform visibility and recognition, the issue of certain software category representation, or public awareness. Nevertheless, these are opportunities to be continually addressed in this post-WikiLeaks and post-Snowden era, opportunities which Apple in particular cannot address more or less by definition as they only develop and release proprietary OSs and programs.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
richyrich wrote:Nah , I was thinking more on the lines of spying, data collecting apps and sneaky malware entering the linux domain.
Hmmm...got any examples?
Didn't Google Play and the Apple Store just remove a whole ship-load of apps that they found infected with malware ? After millions of consumer downloads if I may add . . being "mainstream" is an open season on millions of fish for those snails !

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Lack of commercial support accounts for pretty much everything, including-
-Limited availability of systems with Linux pre-installed.
-Limited commercial driver support.
-Limited availability of commercial software, particularly games, MS Office and Adobe Photoshop.

I'm with Richy in that I think if Linux becomes considerably more popular on the desktop it will be to its detriment. I'm happy with it just where it is.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

richyrich wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Hmmm...got any examples?
Didn't Google Play and the Apple Store just remove a whole ship-load of apps that they found infected with malware ? After millions of consumer downloads if I may add . . being "mainstream" is an open season on millions of fish for those snails !

Yeah, but that's for Android (Google). That's not real Linux, that's Google Linux. I would expect nothing less.

The audio is hobbled in that if you turn up the bass, the volume decreases. I downloaded a volume app and cranked it. No change. But I sure did start receiving a lot of unwanted advertising, about every 7 minutes. I looked around to find another one...they all had the same or similar icon and when you drilled down they were all from software companies in China. Bye!

Installed an app to turn my "flash" on to use it for a flashlight. Of course, before I install ANYTHING on my phone I look at the permissions: "Accesses camera". Well, I guess, if it's going to turn the LED on.

Then I noticed my camera was on a lot. I carry a DSLR everywhere I go and don't need my phone's camera. Then one time it had the movie function on. Bye Bye!

Went to install WatchTCM. THEY wanted access to my phone records and my contact list. I'll wait until I get home, thanks.

I solved the issue completely: I put the Android phone back in the box and went back to my Blackberry. Thanks, but no thanks.

People gotta READ the permissions on the apps! Can you imagine a 12 YO girl with that flashlight app...in her bedroom? Geeze Louise!

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Absolutely agree, Arch_Enemy, the permissions requested by Android apps are outrageous and it's very hard to use the device without requiring some of the offending software.

Return to “Chat about Linux”