Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Chat about Linux in general
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Post by jimallyn »

Arch_Enemy wrote:The audio is hobbled in that if you turn up the bass, the volume decreases
Probably done so that the speaker doesn't blow out whenever you turn it up.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Post by Pierre »

when you say "mainstream" - - you've gotta be a bit specific:
- I'd could say, that it already is "mainstream" - it's the O/S of choice in lots of my Gadgets .. .
like in my Satellite Television Receiver. ...

but you probably mean - on the Desktop:
- the biggest issue there - - is that you can't buy it OOB at your Local Store.
as in, there is several aisles of Computer Stuff & there is just the Choice of Two versions.

so, you you have to buy one of those & re-purpose it, somewhat.
- then you have the Hardware issues, as it wasn't designed for that purpose.
that is the biggest issue, IMHO
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

dcrowder wrote:Lack of applications.

Many have a Linux equivalent that we Linux lovers use. But the "average Joe" wants the original (e.g. Photoshop, not Gimp). They are not invested enough in Linux to put forth the effort to learn something new.

Sometimes it is hard/impossible to find a replacement.
I agree with you. As an example. My sister-in-law is an account. She is "married" to two windows proprietary applications, Turbotax and Quickbooks. The companies who developed these two applications refuse to make a linux version for these applications.

This is why she has a desktop tower computer with two hard drives in it. One hard drive is for Windows 7 and the second hard is for linux Mint 17. She finally gave in a little because she went into the BIOS and changed the boot order of her two hard drives. Now when she turns on her 2010 Dell tower computer (an i7 with 2.80 processor speed and 12 GB of memory) in the morning, it boots straight up into Mint 17. She did this because she is now retired from work so she only needs to run her Windows 7 computer for the occasional accounting odd job she does every now and then to acquire a little "spending money" in her pocket.
Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce 64 Bit

rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Not the first time I've seen such question. It's the same "Why do many people still use Windows?" rephrased.
And I have nothing to add to the ones already given here.

And I think the salient ones has to do with lack of serious alternatives to Windows apps like Photoshop, CorelDraw, Corel Painter, AutoCAD, etc. Apps that are main bread and butter to millions of people.

Corel company, for instance, even dabbled with creating their own Linux distro at one point in the past, which is now Red Hat. Yet their products still have no Linux versions, Corel Painter, CorelDraw, etc. If that is not revelation enough, I don't know what is.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rick gen wrote:Not the first time I've seen such question. It's the same "Why do many people still use Windows?" rephrased.
And I have nothing to add to the ones already given here.

And I think the salient ones has to do with lack of serious alternatives to Windows apps like Photoshop, CorelDraw, Corel Painter, AutoCAD, etc. Apps that are main bread and butter to millions of people.

Corel company, for instance, even dabbled with creating their own Linux distro at one point in the past, which is now Red Hat. Yet their products still have no Linux versions, Corel Painter, CorelDraw, etc. If that is not revelation enough, I don't know what is.
Corel AfterShot Pro, Linux version, usually on sale for $30-40. Much more intuitive than Photoshop and even Lightroom.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimallyn wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:The audio is hobbled in that if you turn up the bass, the volume decreases
Probably done so that the speaker doesn't blow out whenever you turn it up.
Nope. Lawsuits. They don't want teenybopper's parents suing them for making the kid deaf. It used to be wide open and developers got scared they would be liable!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Biggest hurdle? Money, money, money. You need a lots and lots of money to make the masses aware that there is an alternative.
Second is the amount of distros (hundreds, thousands?) and their ridiculous names. :mrgreen:

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Users.

dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

jimallyn wrote:I think the biggest hurdle is simply inertia. The computer came with Windows, it works (sort of), and people don't want to make any effort to do anything else with their computer.
Inertia pretty well sums it up. Many Windows users are at least somewhat frustrated, but have fear of the unknown of using anything else. Heck, many do not knows there are options besides Windows and Mac.
Mint 19.1 MATE x64

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

dcrowder wrote:Heck, many do not knows there are options besides Windows and Mac.
Precisely. A few weeks ago, I did a presentation to the computer club at the local senior center. A week or two before the presentation, I put up several fliers on the bulletin board. A few days ago at lunch I mentioned Linux to somebody that was having a problem with their computer. Never heard of it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

There are far more passengers than pilots
Same analogy
libera ab tyrannis

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

My biggest problem with Android are apps that turn on the wifi to update and then fail to turn it back off, burning up battery power more. My second complaint is updating too often and not being able to turn an app to "not update" until you want to manually do so. Google play is a PIA too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Spearmint2 wrote:My biggest problem with Android are apps that turn on the wifi to update and then fail to turn it back off, burning up battery power more. My second complaint is updating too often and not being able to turn an app to "not update" until you want to manually do so. Google play is a PIA too.
I bought a cheap 7" tablet years ago for reading pdf books. I no longer use it.
Of course, I had to download the reading apps from PC then transfer them to the tablet.
I never knew about wifi connection at that time. I got curious when I did and did some browsing.
It kept asking for my gmail address to access something or what.
Yeah. Google has taken over everyone's lives. No one is doing anything about it like some open source people offering alternatives.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Spearmint2 wrote:...
My second complaint is updating too often and not being able to turn an app to "not update" until you want to manually do so. Google play is a PIA too.
Bingo! I have a weather app that got a so-called update and the new interface stinks. So I keep the previous version. Tried detaching that app from the Play store using Titanium Backup Pro, but it didn't work. For months, my app setting in Play store is set as manual update, but that's for all apps---you can't choose which ones you'd like not to update automatically.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

In my opinion the main disadvantage to Linux as far as it becoming more popular is that there are too many distros and desktop environments. The average computer user does not want nor need this many choices. I want to just go to one internet site and download an operating system and be done with it, I don't need to sort through hundreds of choices.

This is my opinion.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Rocky Bennett wrote: I want to just go to one internet site and download an operating system and be done with it, I don't need to sort through hundreds of choices.

This is my opinion.
https://linuxmint.com/

http://distrowatch.com/

All you need...

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Rocky Bennett wrote: I want to just go to one internet site and download an operating system and be done with it, I don't need to sort through hundreds of choices.

This is my opinion.
https://linuxmint.com/

http://distrowatch.com/

All you need...

Yeah, that narrows it down to just one hundred different distros and a few different DEs each, so it just saved some new Linux wannabe the trouble of looking at 800 different choices and got it down to just 300 different choices. That is really nice of you, but 300 different choices is still a bit much for a Linux newby.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

On the right side is a ranking chart, anyone can just concentrate on the top 10-20 distros if they wanted. I just noticed Manjaro moved into third place. Probably from the popular Spatry videos on Youtube about it. Just goes to show if one makes enough noise, they get noticed. However, if Ubuntu had all it's children (kubuntu, xubuntu, studio, MATE, Lubuntu, ) added into it's score the way Mint's stats do, then Ubuntu's would be in first place, with Mint in second.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Rocky Bennett wrote:I want to just go to one internet site and download an operating system and be done with it, I don't need to sort through hundreds of choices.
In my opinion, attitudes like this are based on a couple of potentially erroneous precepts, namely:
1) The 'one distro' would be one that appeals to your tastes. There's no guarantee of this. What if it was a rolling release with, say, the Gnome GUI? Don't like rolling? tough. Old machine that needs a lighter UI? Tough, bin it. What if it's a cloud oriented distro along the lines of ChromeOS? Don't like it? Tough.
2) Everyone would get behind the one distro and make it brilliant. Again, no guarantee. It could well produce a mess given all the different ideas everybody has. There's a lot to be said for a smaller team with vision, and whilst my preference is Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, I benefit from contributions to Debian, Ubuntu and no doubt a lot of cross pollination and code they have forked from other distributions.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

MintBean wrote:
Rocky Bennett wrote:I want to just go to one internet site and download an operating system and be done with it, I don't need to sort through hundreds of choices.
In my opinion, attitudes like this are based on a couple of potentially erroneous precepts, namely:
1) The 'one distro' would be one that appeals to your tastes. There's no guarantee of this. What if it was a rolling release with, say, the Gnome GUI? Don't like rolling? tough. Old machine that needs a lighter UI? Tough, bin it. What if it's a cloud oriented distro along the lines of ChromeOS? Don't like it? Tough.
2) Everyone would get behind the one distro and make it brilliant. Again, no guarantee. It could well produce a mess given all the different ideas everybody has. There's a lot to be said for a smaller team with vision, and whilst my preference is Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, I benefit from contributions to Debian, Ubuntu and no doubt a lot of cross pollination and code they have forked from other distributions.

I agree with you. What I really think is that instead of 800 or so different distros, there might just be 20 or 30 different distros. That would save a newby a lot of hassle trying to figure things out.

And of course, this is just all in my very humble opinion. There is a great argument to be made that Linux is perfect the way it is, and that there is no need to change and no need to strive for popularity. But the premise of the thread was to throw out opinions that might contribute to the increased popularity of Linux, which not everybody wants.

I'm on the bench on this one.

Return to “Chat about Linux”