My dream : single device [SOLVED]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintbin

My dream : single device [SOLVED]

Post by mintbin »

IMG_۲۰۱۷۰۳۱۰_۱۰۴۸۲۰_sd.jpg
My dream from my first mobile phone : running real desktop OS on my phone or phablet!
I have a asus 7inch x86cpu is it possible to install Linux mint on this tablet?
Chipset Intel Atom x3-C3200
CPU Quad-core
RAM 1GB
Current OS Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
If yes, how?
If no, why?

> full Windows 10 and desktop apps are coming to mobile ARM chips
> https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... ows-10-arm
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jaydemir

Re: My dream : single device

Post by Jaydemir »

The largest barriers have to do with the locked bootloader of the device (mobile devices don't use a traditional BIOS the way PCs do), and extremely proprietary drivers designed for that specific hardware.

It isn't ideal, but since you're on Lollipop you can install Debian No Root, which is a full Linux desktop with apt-get package manager and the works. Takes a whole lot of setting up.

There's also GNUroot debian, which is just a terminal but also lets you install Linux packages. If you're really good you could probably configure the Xserver to make it work like a desktop, but you'd really have to have a lot of experience for that. I use it myself for the openjdk package so I can compile simple java programs that I write on my phone because I can.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

@Mintbin
That would be a great setup!
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

The day you can run desktop OSes and its applications such as LibreOffice, Gimp, Kdenlive, etc. on 7" tablets is the day you'll see tower PCs disappear. What you'll see will be mere flat screen monitors and keyboards on top of everyone's desks. It should be obvious these apps and OSes require processing power that needs heat sinks, fans, power cards, etc in its internals. Shrinking such processing power into a miniaturize tablet would be groundbreaking invention. I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Nice dream, though.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Ubuntu has dropped the Ubuntu Phone project. No wonder ... it was a complete disaster. Why would anyone else want to try it?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

rick gen wrote:The day you can run desktop OSes and its applications such as LibreOffice, Gimp, Kdenlive, etc. on 7" tablets is the day you'll see tower PCs disappear. What you'll see will be mere flat screen monitors and keyboards on top of everyone's desks. It should be obvious these apps and OSes require processing power that needs heat sinks, fans, power cards, etc in its internals. Shrinking such processing power into a miniaturize tablet would be groundbreaking invention. I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Nice dream, though.
I have seen such a device in manufacturing. Each machine had an all-in-one touch screen. The device looked more like a monitor than a tablet, mounted like a monitor as well. This device ran win7 and used Merlin software so the operator could log downtime exceptions etc.
mintbin

Post by mintbin »

debian_noroot_asus_tablet.jpg
Jaydemir wrote:It isn't ideal, but since you're on Lollipop you can install Debian No Root, which is a full Linux desktop with apt-get package manager and the works. Takes a whole lot of setting up.
many thanks , helpful reply i test "debian noroot" as you say it is no possible to install linux mint on regular android tablet just we can test a bit of debian on android using "debian noroot" the application on my phablet installed but can run a few software.

i recorded a video from my phablet running debian noroot ( persian language ) :
http://www.aparat.com/v/XSre8

The video created using ScanQT gadget : http://ScanQT.com/en

Return to “Chat about Linux”